First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Me too! The Shootout, which is a large race we started 28 years ago, now has Ecoboost classes! It's Sept30-Oct 2nd 2022 at Summit Motorsports Park in Ohio.
Bringing back memories of my 90 Talon TSI AWD 😢
Sponsored

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Nice. Really getting serious about ordering a Mav. Things stay hot out here in the tropics. Out of curiosity is a intercooler upgrade considered something that will affect warranty? I've never had a vehicle worth enough to have a warranty on :ROFLMAO:. I just know that new cars break alot and require alot of dealer maintence and dont want any trouble. But my last maverick weighed 2900lb and had 400hp, I want this one to have a little get up. But want to stay in that area of not getting screwed.
I would always lean towards "Any modifications under the hood CAN void your warranty" but I am not a lawyer nor a mechanic nor a dealership. My take is that I don't want to give them a reason to void my warranty.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would always lean towards "Any modifications under the hood CAN void your warranty" but I am not a lawyer nor a mechanic nor a dealership. My take is that I don't want to give them a reason to void my warranty.
Obviously you don't care about performance and modifications, you have a hybrid on order.

However, your assumption on a dick dealer voiding a warranty for no real reason is a good point.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Obviously you don't care about performance and modifications, you have a hybrid on order.

However, your assumption on a dick dealer voiding a warranty for no real reason is a good point.
Personally I do not understand the thirst for performance on the maverick but I'm sure other people could say the same about a car that I would modify like an Acura ILX. In general I'm not keen on performance mods within the warranty period but I like that people do it and I like reading about it.

Different strokes for different folks.

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

One way around the warranty concerns would be to talk with your local dealer's service department manager, tell him what you're looking to do and as long as you have it installed there that dealer will typically work with you should a problem arise. YMMV

Sponsored

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why doesn’t this industry call them what they actually are?AFTERCOOLERS
INTERCOOLERS fit between two different stages of compression, to remove heat from the first stage before it is further compressed in the second stage
After coolers remove heat from the final compression stage so if you only have one turbocharger that cooler is not a intercooler.
And yes you can over cool compressed air by having a improperly sized cooler. In high humidity conditions, too big of cooler can condense moisture in the charged air that collects in the cooler and may slug feed water into the intake system….bad….this was a know problem in the first gen 3.5L ecoboost F-150. Fords fix was to block off part of the air flow thru the cooler to make it LESS efficient there fore raising the charge air temp above the condensation point.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have many fond DSM memories. Couldn't believe it when I saw OP on here making Maverick parts.
Thank you. We have always looked for new platforms I'm personally interested in, as you know.

What year DSM did you have?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why doesn’t this industry call them what they actually are?AFTERCOOLERS
INTERCOOLERS fit between two different stages of compression, to remove heat from the first stage before it is further compressed in the second stage
After coolers remove heat from the final compression stage so if you only have one turbocharger that cooler is not a intercooler.
You're thinking about it wrong. "Intercooler" is the standard name for charge air coolers that cool the air between the turbo and the engine (in between cooler), and it was only on some old aircraft where they added a second intercooler that they figured they should give it a different name to help distinguish which they were talking about and so called the second one the "afercooler" instead of "second intercooler"... less syllables I guess.

Since automotive applications don't have sequential turbos with two charge air coolers, they wouldn't have an aftercooler, and people will get confused if you call it that as it implies you have two.

Sponsored

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
There is cutting required of the plastic around the intercooler.
Assuming cutting is necessary because your intercooler is more than twice as thick as stock. Curious to know how thick you could go without requiring cuts.
Looks great and the numbers seem promising. TYVM for your contributions to this community.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Assuming cutting is necessary because your intercooler is more than twice as thick as stock. Curious to know how thick you could go without requiring cuts.
Looks great and the numbers seem promising. TYVM for your contributions to this community.
No idea, anything larger than stock is going to need to be cut because of the shutters and plastic.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's what might be a dumb question but I am not a mechanic:

Does this thing directly cool the compressed air from the turbo or is it full of coolant like the engine radiator?

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's what might be a dumb question but I am not a mechanic:

Does this thing directly cool the compressed air from the turbo or is it full of coolant like the engine radiator?
It is an air-to-air heat exchanger. It cools the compressed air, by transferring the heat to ambient air.

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're thinking about it wrong. "Intercooler" is the standard name for charge air coolers that cool the air between the turbo and the engine (in between cooler), and it was only on some old aircraft where they added a second intercooler that they figured they should give it a different name to help distinguish which they were talking about and so called the second one the "afercooler" instead of "second intercooler"... less syllables I guess.

Since automotive applications don't have sequential turbos with two charge air coolers, they wouldn't have an aftercooler, and people will get confused if you call it that as it implies you have two.
35 years of working in large thermal coal power plants, I beg to differ. “Inter” means in between stages in this reference. You cool the charge from 1 stage only of compression….you aftercool…if you cool the charge between 2 separate stages of compression you Intercool. I have worked on 6 stage centrifugal compressors that multiple Intercoolers and an aftercooler located after compressor. Every P&ID of L* systems (IEEE) i have ever seen support this claim

Ford Maverick Buschur's much need front mount intercooler for 2.0L underway! 1C52E92F-F620-4BA2-BD99-EC7C60CA020E
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.