Sponsored

How do you guys feel about the cvt transmission?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
This one is about the Honda Hybrid engine but it helped me understand how hybrid traction motor drive power integrates with ICE motor drive power
Please understand that the Honda Hybrid engine in this video represents a completely different hybrid architecture from Ford's series/parallel approach. There is little in common besides electrons, shafts and shiny gears. It tells you very little about a Ford.
Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please understand that the Honda Hybrid engine in this video represents a completely different hybrid architecture from Ford's series/parallel approach. There is little in common besides electrons, shafts and shiny gears. It tells you very little about a Ford.

Thanks they definitely look a lot different. I'm trying to understand some differences now -- so the Ford model in question is a "parallel axis" rather than a "series" type?

With the Ford model, how does the ICE engine engage with the drive gears (or not)?

EDIT: Here in John's video, the planetary carrier?

I'm not sure if he covers how the ICE engine connects/disconnects. Does this mean that ICE engine is just a power generator for the traction motor, and never has direct input to the final drive gear? Nevermind that can't be? Does the traction motor have enough power capacity for that? Or it would have to rotate too fast at high speeds? I still wonder how the ICE motor connects to the final drive gear.

Maybe I just missed this aspect -- when the planetary carrier (A) is connected to the ICE crankshaft > flywheel > clutch damper, doesn't there have to be some way the it engages/disengages with the final drive input gear (B), so that it can turn the generator motor without turning the final drive input gear (B), transfer gear (C), and the final drive gear (D)?

Ford Maverick How do you guys feel about the cvt transmission? 1627588440214

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe I just missed this aspect -- when the planetary carrier (A) is connected to the ICE crankshaft > flywheel > clutch damper, doesn't there have to be some way the it engages/disengages with the final drive input gear (B), so that it can turn the generator motor without turning the final drive input gear (B), transfer gear (C), and the final drive gear (D)?
It's like an open differential. Power will flow to whichever path has the least resistance. Say you're stationary and the ICE engine is running. If there's more holding force from the traction motor/brakes/inertia than the resistance of the starter/generator field then that is the only part that will be rotating.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's like an open differential. Power will flow to whichever path has the least resistance. Say you're stationary and the ICE engine is running. If there's more holding force from the traction motor/brakes/inertia than the resistance of the starter/generator field then that is the only part that will be rotating.
Thanks Darnon, I read all of your words and I believe you, but my brain doesn't have enough car mechanics fundamentals to understand this part lol.

So say you're in stop-and-go traffic on flat ground, but your battery charge is relatively low, so the ICE is turned on to run the generator motor. Can you describe what would be happening then among the three components of ICE power, generator motor, and traction motor? Say you start moving again, but at low speeds so traction motor ideally does all the drive power? Is the ICE providing any drive power?

Then alternatively, say you eventually have a charged battery and you're back up to highway speeds, what is happening among the three components there? Sorry if it's too lengthy to type out I'm just having trouble understanding the variable resistance of all the components related to the ICE drive power.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
my brain doesn't have enough car mechanics fundamentals
In large part, it's not all your brain's fault. The really good PSD demo that taught me was a Flash application that's no longer working, and was not replaced. It allowed you to change speed of any one component, and see how the others reacted. Play taught very well.

This site has animations, but they don't speak to me.

Yes, ICE provides drive power, through the planetary gearset of the PSD. The speed and load/torque of the "charger" MG changes to make ICE power flow to the road. John Kelly's video helps. It's a very complex control system, which is one reason Ford and Toyota cross-licenses patents.

Sponsored

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
This is all I know about it.............
It works!
All I want from it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Reliability
Anything else? Nope If it breaks I take it to someone who knows more than I do...
It's not because I'm not mechanical...I am that is my day job, But I don't need to know everything about it because I'm not working on it... All I know from those great videos is that the Ford is like the Toyota (Yea) and no belts or chains....Another YEAH!! ..

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is all I know about it.............
It works!
All I want from it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Reliability
Can we throw out the 500,000+ mile Escape Hybrids taxi links again? :)

You read that right, Toyota. 500,000+ miles.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everything is the same except I’m not sure if the 2.5 engine has any accessory belts.
The accessory belts etc are really what I'm curious about. I get that the major architecture is the same.

PD Rich

First Name
Pede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F250, 2010 Taurus Limited
Two things:
1. The Fiesta (as far as I know) never had a CVT. The problem trans was the DPS6, a Dual Clutch box.
2. The CVT in the Maverick is not a CVT as you know them to be, with belts and pulleys. It makes use of a single planetary gearset and two electric motors to create infinite ratios. Because the motors are what drive the wheels, many people say the system feels a lot like an EV.
I think the gas engine does drive the wheels. The smaller motor drives the planetary gearset for variable ratios, and charging and as a starter motor. Bigger motor also drives the wheels, making it a hybrid.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Chevy Volt, and the eCVT technology is similar. It is a much more elegant solution than either a tradition transmission or a CVT.

I expect good things from the Maverick.

Last edited:

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do we know or expect that the Maverick will benefit from the same reduced complexity listed in this article?

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/its...e-so-much-more-reliable-other-brands-vehicles
Yes the Maverick Hybrid has the exact same benefits

Ford Maverick Hybrid – Transmissions No CVT Belts
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Starter
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Alternator
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Timing Belt - it is Chain Driven
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Accessory Belt
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Conventional AC, AC is electric and driven by the High Voltage Battery
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Turbochargers

Last edited:

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid