Sponsored

Hybrid can tow 2000#...how many #s do you feel comfortable towing with it?

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
May I ask a question about the 4-7 adapter? As we know, a hybrid Mav does not have the trailer brake switch in the 4k package. Then we need to connect a line from our brake light to the 4-7 adapter to control the trailer's brake. Afterward, when the driver steps on the brake, reversing the Mav, the trailer's brake is unnecessarily working. Is it a real issue? Can I disconnect the adaptor when I try to reverse a trailer into a lot?
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
May I ask a question about the 4-7 adapter? As we know, a hybrid Mav does not have the trailer brake switch in the 4k package. Then we need to connect a line from our brake light to the 4-7 adapter to control the trailer's brake. Afterward, when the driver steps on the brake, reversing the Mav, the trailer's brake is unnecessarily working. Is it a real issue? Can I disconnect the adaptor when I try to reverse a trailer into a lot?
It is just a plug, if you wanted to disconnect it, just unplug it. If that is too much of a hassle, get both the 4-7 and a 7-4 adapter. When you don’t need brakes on your trailer, use the 4 pin.

there may be some logic built into it that if you are in reverse it knows because your reverse lights are on and so does not engage the brakes.

mid you really want to know, I bet there is a video of the part installation on YouTube, or etrailer will be happy totell you on the phone.

I know there are 2 ways to wire a 7 pin that may make the difference too

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Afterward, when the driver steps on the brake, reversing the Mav, the trailer's brake is unnecessarily working. Is it a real issue? Can I disconnect the adaptor when I try to reverse a trailer into a lot?
This is what I meant by "tuning" a brake controller. Good brake controllers will let you adjust when & how much the trailer/camper's brakes activate. A light touch on the brakes while backing up has never been an issue for me.

etrailer has a FAQ on the 4-7 wiring: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-etbc7.aspx

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
<2000 lbs.

Sponsored

Islandman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm working under the assumption that if Ford rated for 2000# it is probably capable of pulling 2500-2750#s before the legal dept reminds them not to go overboard. European vehicles are often rated for higher towing capabilities than there identical American counterparts. I have a 1700# camper that i'm looking forward to pulling. Thoughts???
I have pulled my bass boat easily and it comes in at about 1700 lbs with the trailer weight added in. It is lower profile than a trailer but I was very happy with the Maverick towing the boat. I have a small boat that I have to tow but that is a piece of cake!

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know no one has posted here in a while, but with my 4k XLT. Depending on how I set it up I personally would put close to 5k behind it and not think twice. That being said the right set up would include; weight distribution hitch, trailer brakes (preferably hydraulic), and an aerodynamic nose. But this is coming from a guy who towed a 5k travel trailer with a 1992 4x4 4 cylinder Toyota pickup... it didn't like it but it made it. You also have to know your vehicle, your trailer, and yourself. In the US most ratings are 75% of the critical point. But ratings are there for a reason and when you go ocer them all liability is on you as the driver.

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is where the towing setup helps. With the weight distribution hitch ti spreds the weight of the toung across the entire vehicle GREATLY improvig braking. On a hard braking situation with a traditional hitch the rear bumper gets pushed down and therefore the front where 80% of the braking is, gets pushed up and has less traction to brake or steer. In contrast with a weight distribution hitch the entire vehicle is push down improving braking traction, steering could see some delayed response but not as badly. But also knowing your and your vehicles limits is the key to driving or towing safely. Also we probably should be speeding down gravel roads with our trucks over loaded 😁

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unibody . no weight distribution hitches should be used according to the industry .

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unibody . no weight distribution hitches should be used according to the industry .
🙁 I would like to see their reasoning. I have a few friends that tow a travel trailer with a Honda Pilot, they use one. They are also well within their recommended tow rating. Their trailer tows soo must better with it. Outside of acceleration you can barely tell it's there.

Sponsored

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It can twist the unibody according to the industry . Google it .

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I contacted ford and received the GCWR.

HYBRID = 6010 lbs (Maverick curb weight = 3674 lbs)
Note that this means that the hybrid Maverick will not be able to meet its full payload rating AND tow 2,000 pounds at the same time.

6010 - 3674 (base XL weight, I'd guess? XLT/Lariat likely are heavier) leaves 2,336 pounds to allocate between a shared pool of payload and towing, though the tow weight can not exceed 2,000 pounds.

It really would have been nice if the hybrid GCWR was high enough to meet max payload and max tow ratings at the same time, but of course there are tradeoffs with anything.
Sponsored