First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, and I think it’s a neat point that my engine can be on while actively reversing (although rare). I believe it just will not provide direct torque in reverse the way it is engineered.
As I understand it, in reverse the large drive motor drives reverse using power either from the HVB or the small generator motor. I am not sure if by reversing polarity but I believe that to be the way. Seems like John at Weber state said the final drive gear was split which would imply in reverse one side would have to spin freely in drive and the other half would spin freely in reverse since the gear set is fixed. (??)
Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
????? You took my comment and reworded it... And did it as a reply to mine... What were you trying to accomplish? Were you trying to win an argument elsewhere in the forum without coming up with an original idea and pressed the wrong button?

It's a Russian troll trying to look a real person. :D

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll just add while torque in reverse only comes from the traction motor, you can drive in reverse an unlimited number of miles. The gas engine will spin the generator making power in real-time to power the traction motor, for as long as you have gasoline.
Interesting- I've never had the ICE run while in reverse. Tempting to drive a long ways in electric to run the battery down then throw it in reverse and see what happens. :)

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those wondering, the feel of the eCVT in the Maverick feels very much different than say the CVT in my wife's Crosstrek, with Subaru having one of the better CVT models. I say this from experience, having logged quite a bit of seat time in CVT equipped vehicles. There's no 'rubber' band effect, where the engine spins up, with no initial feeling of torque, as do a chain or belt CVT. If you hit the gas in a Maverick hybrid, you actually get a nice 'push' feeling, as you would in a traditional transmission, and actually feels eager and peppy in normal driving.

I actually like the way the powertrain in Maverick Hybrid feels, its very smooth feeling, and oddly quiet when in electric mode. Once the ICE has warmed up, you don't even realize the ICE has kicked in, aside from a slight engine growl when accelerating, more audible with the window down. - The ICE is actually quieter than even the 3.6 H6 in my Outback was, which was more refined & quieter sounding than the 2.0 H4 in my wife's Crosstrek, as a comparison perspective.

We had a 2015 Civic with CVT we traded in for Mav. That seemed like the worst "springiness" of an auto transmission, even though it felt pretty refined. But gas response was never quick.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Mav- it's always ready to go as soon as you push the accelerator pedal- the electric responds instantly and give time to start the ICE if it's needed. Can only hear the ICE if we're listening for it (after it's warmed up a little). I'm very surprised that even on the interstate (75mph+) the wind noise isn't bad, the engine doesn't get loud, it's just so nice!

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Off topic a little. BUT since with drive and regen braking I wonder if rotating the tires more often will get you better equal wear between front and rear tires. Seems like the front tires will be doing a lot of the work on a hybrid .

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Off topic a little. BUT since with drive and regen braking I wonder if rotating the tires more often will get you better equal wear between front and rear tires. Seems like the front tires will be doing a lot of the work on a hybrid .

No more than the hard braking and acceleration from a regular FWD vehicle.

In fact, we're braking more gently and slowly than our other vehicles, so the difference between front/rear may even be BETTER than regular cars.

For evidence- watch the brake dust coloring on vehicles front compared to rear. :)

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its not a CVT, it's an ECVT
Ford marketing should have never used the “CVT” letters, even with the e in front, when describing this transmission because of all the baggage associated with those rubber band belt belt drive things. It creates too much confusion.

The eCVT is so different and so much better than those belt drive CVTs it really deserved a more differentiated name.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford marketing should have never used the “CVT” letters, even with the e in front, when describing this transmission because of all the baggage associated with those rubber band belt belt drive things. It creates too much confusion.

The eCVT is so different and so much better than those belt drive CVTs it really deserved a more differentiated name.
I had this thought too.

But then again, they are having no problem selling them, right???

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

New name Automatic Planetary Transmission APT for short.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Since there is no Neutral in the Hybrid powertrain, (the transmission gears are always in mesh,) they spin while coasting, they spin while you are towing your Hybrid Mav behind a motorhome, the letter could be "C" for coast.

N is a software setting that tells the electric motors "produce no torque; generate no power".

But it's impossible for a running gas engine to produce zero torque. And in simulated neutral, no electric power flows to counteract that torque.

If you put the front axle up on jack stands, and run the gas engine in "simulated neutral" the wheels will spin, and slowly accelerate, having no ground resistance. I have video of this with the 2005 Hybrid Escape so it's reasonable to think the Maverick would do this also, but I've not yet had the opportunity to try it.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To the tire question...most likely. My buddy's Highlander Hybrid ate 70k tires at 25k intervals. Teslas are even more brutal on them, so odds favor faster front tire wear.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To the tire question...most likely. My buddy's Highlander Hybrid ate 70k tires at 25k intervals. Teslas are even more brutal on them, so odds favor faster front tire wear.
That really depends upon how you drive. If you stand on the gas to get going like most Tesla drives seem to do, then yes, you will wear the tires excessively. Similarly, if you always brake hard. It seems like you Highlander buddy has anger management issues or something.

OP
OP
rivermaverick

rivermaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Fusion (UK), MEV Sonic7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a really good explanation of how the 2 Motor/Generators and the planetary gearset work together, the graphic allows you to play with the MG1 and MG2 speeds vs engine RPM and road speed. You can even reverse with just MG2 or with the engine running. It's the Toyota 'Power Split' device but essentially the same as the Ford 'eCVT':
http://eahart.com/prius/psd/
Note the planet anulus is coupled directly to the wheels - when the vehicle is stationary so is the anulus, the planet carrier is coupled directly to the engine - when the engine is off the planet carrier is stationary (although the planet gears can still rotate).
Sponsored