First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am a firm believer that preventative maintenance is worth it. When/if my hybrid Lariat ever comes, I will change the fluid in the eCVT at 30k-40k depending if I do much towing. I plan on towing a teardrop camping trailer. I think a lot of problems people have are due to trying to skimp on maintenance. The issues with early Nissan CVT's may be related to design and not fluid changes, I don't have that information. But the eCVT in the '22 hybrid Mav XL I tested for 20+ miles felt and sounded really solid, without the motorboating sensation of the 2011 Prius. Eleven years made a big difference in the technology.
Right there with you. My eco has the 8 speed but the manual says 30 k under severe driving conditions which includes lots of stop and go driving which is all I do.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The eCVT Ford uses is pretty much mechanically unchanged from its introduction in 2004 with the Escape Hybrid. The difference is that it's a completely operating principle from ICE-only CVTs utilizing a metal band and variable pulleys. They're still both technically CVTs since the planetary eCVT design is able to dynamically alter the ratio between input speed and output speed.

So your experience is still technically true and intended operation of a CVT. The vehicle was accelerating but engine load was decreasing because gravity was doing the work. Instead of having a discrete, say, double-overdrive it just can do so seamlessly. Now in a Hybrid if it gets that low it'll typically just shut the ICE off. Or on a modern automatic vehicle there's tricks like cylinder deactivation.

Oh yeah the driving experience has changed even for ICE vehicles. I am ready to give the ford CVT a go but I would really have to do some test driving first since I am so cranky in my old age. 😂

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As for regular auto verse cvt or e-cvt you all forget unless I missed it a Dual Clutch auto.
See 3 posts above yours. ;)

Hard to forget DCTs after all I've been through with them... Though, the first one did get to about 90,000 mi before needing a new clutch pack and TCM, so there's that.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
See 3 posts above yours. ;)

Hard to forget DCTs after all I've been through with them... Though, the first one did get to about 90,000 mi before needing a new clutch pack and TCM, so there's that.
I didn't read through all 8 pages I got bored with the ones arguing over how a CVT drives. so i missed it Sorry.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So we bought a 2015 Civic when I came back from overseas and Maverick wasn't in the driveway still.

It has a 'regular' CVT- and on interstate with small hills it sounds like a small airplane revving up as it goes up them. It does some 'fake shifting' sometimes but for the most part is quieter than reviews led me to believe it would be. Gas mileage is pretty good for a non-hybrid, gets up to 40mpg highway. But we end up getting around 20mpg driving up and down city hills to work (our minivan gets 16mpg on the same commutes).

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Rejecting the eCVT based on experiences with belt-and-pulley-CVT is like rejecting a modern dual-clutch automatic transmission because of experiences with the old 2-speed PowerGlide or Ford-o-matic transmissions. Night and day difference.

2022 pushed behind 2023's

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rejecting the eCVT based on experiences with belt-and-pulley-CVT is like rejecting a modern dual-clutch automatic transmission because of experiences with the old 2-speed PowerGlide or Ford-o-matic transmissions. Night and day difference.
Those 2 speed powerglides are still used, some in EV swaps btw. :)
Sponsored