Sponsored

How do you guys feel about the cvt transmission?

RM83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Ford Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't Ford get in trouble a while back because of the cvt trans in the Fiesta?

Has Ford improved their cvt transmissions?
Sponsored

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
Two things:
1. The Fiesta (as far as I know) never had a CVT. The problem trans was the DPS6, a Dual Clutch box.
2. The CVT in the Maverick is not a CVT as you know them to be, with belts and pulleys. It makes use of a single planetary gearset and two electric motors to create infinite ratios. Because the motors are what drive the wheels, many people say the system feels a lot like an EV.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't Ford get in trouble a while back because of the cvt trans in the Fiesta?

ECVT is great and makes a lot of sense because virtually nothing is rubbing.

manual, DCT - clutches and syncos have to grab and wear out.

Automatics - solenoids having to grab gears wear out.

CVT - Belts moving up and down on cones wear out.

ECVT - virtually everything is moving together all the time. Nothing has to grab or sync up. It’s just changing speeds with the electric motor.

so that’s why transmission fail, wearing out of moving, rubbing parts. Also aside from regular CVTs ECVTs have the fewest moving parts.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
My wife has a 2017 Subie w/ CVT, it works well although is the 3.6R version. HP and torque are the key to a good CVT experience IMO.

Fast64Ranchero

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted 96 F150, 65 Mustang, 2021 R3
I sold my Commuter car (2020 Toyota Hybrid) and ordered this truck on the 9th. I can tell you if the ECVT works as well as the Toyota you will be happy.

Sponsored

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I sold my Commuter car (2020 Toyota Hybrid) and ordered this truck on the 9th. I can tell you if the ECVT works as well as the Toyota you will be happy.
THIS(y) Everyone hears CVT and thinks Nissan, and Subaru and while those two have their problems they’ve come a long way. I have a Outback with a CVT and it’s a great in-town driving experience, which is primarily what the Hybrid Maverick is designed for. However my main gripe with the CVT is how “tall” the “first gear” is, it takes a good prod to get it moving, so if you don’t baby it off the line you lose most of the supposed fuel savings the efficiency of the transmission design is supposed to give you.
ECVT is what is in the Prius and it is a perfect match to the smooth in-town experience the Hybrid Maverick is designed for.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
THIS(y) Everyone hears CVT and thinks Nissan, and Subaru and while those two have their problems they’ve come a long way. I have a Outback with a CVT and it’s a great in-town driving experience, which is primarily what the Hybrid Maverick is designed for. However my main gripe with the CVT is how “tall” the “first gear” is, it takes a good prod to get it moving, so if you don’t baby it off the line you lose most of the supposed fuel savings the efficiency of the transmission design is supposed to give you.
ECVT is what is in the Prius and it is a perfect match to the smooth in-town experience the Hybrid Maverick is designed for.
That’s the issue with belt CVTs. Very inefficient at the low and top end of the ratio range. The geared CVT should be much better

Harleyguy001

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Cadillac CTS, 2016 C7, 2010 Tahoe
Two things:
1. The Fiesta (as far as I know) never had a CVT. The problem trans was the DPS6, a Dual Clutch box.
2. The CVT in the Maverick is not a CVT as you know them to be, with belts and pulleys. It makes use of a single planetary gearset and two electric motors to create infinite ratios. Because the motors are what drive the wheels, many people say the system feels a lot like an EV.
Ford CVT Problems (itstillruns.com) Ford's eCVT is extremely similar in design to that used on the Toyota Prius. Should be extremely durable. Look at the attached website.

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

My son is still driving my 2007 Camry Hybrid at 370k And no tranny issues at all. I have no idea if it is a cvt or an ecvt, I just know it was fun when both motors spool up under hard acceleration and no transmission shift. So if it is as good as that one…

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford CVT Problems (itstillruns.com) Ford's eCVT is extremely similar in design to that used on the Toyota Prius. Should be extremely durable. Look at the attached website.
The article quoted is not the eCVT in the Maverick, it is an entirely different transmission. The eCVT does not use a chain or cones, it is entirely gear driven.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ah yes, a chance to do a weekly repost of this excellent video :) This shows the first three generations of the eCVT that Ford began to further develop in-house from the 3rd edition and now as the current 4th generation in the Maverick. Very cool stuff.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I am personally not a fan of CVT transmissions. However, eCVT found in Toyota and now Fords are damn near bulletproof.

I had a Subaru Crosstrek with a CVT and vowed never to own a vehicle with one again. I absolutely hated the fake "shift points" the put in the software to make it feel like it was shifting, which completely defeats the purpose of a CVT. I also owned a 2015 Toyota Prius and that CVT was awesome.

I am a hardcore Subaru enthusiast having owned at least 5 or 6. Pre-CVT era, Subaru's could go damn near anywhere. Now the CVT is the Achilles heel of the platform.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since I'm still learning, I might as well share another John Kelly video:

This one is about the Honda Hybrid engine but it helped me understand how hybrid traction motor drive power integrates with ICE motor drive power -- how the ICE drive gear gets engaged (or not) to the final drive gear, and how the ICE engine is always driving the generator motor, if the ICE engine is running. When ICE is running, it can optionally engage the ICE drive gear only if wheel speed is high enough. The ICE drive gear is permanently connected to a series of other gears to the final drive gear. If I understand correctly, the only gear 'shift' is whether the ICE drive gear is engaged to the final drive gear or not, through hydraulic pressure moving it into position to engage (or not).
EDIT: This is a rather different design than the Ford eCVT used in the Maverick, so bring some salt grains when watching

The electric traction motor is permanently connected to the final drive gear, so it's going to always be spinning with the final drive gear (and the wheels), but possibly is not always providing power, and hence can be a generator as well? Or it IS always providing power, but just that it is sometimes fed power from the ICE engine -- through generator motor and inverter -- and not always powered from the battery itself?

Comparison to Nissan's style of belt-driven CVT:
Sponsored

Last edited: