Sponsored

Hybrid can tow 2000#...how many #s do you feel comfortable towing with it?

FLMav

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra
I personally don't feel comfortable towing anything. But for a $100 to get the electrical connector / hitch was a no brainer for me.
I'd rather have it than wish that I would have ordered it.
Same here. Ordered the trailer receiver because it's a $100. If I never use it oh well. I live in FL so who knows someday I may need it for a jetski, etc. or when I resell it someone will like that.
Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another alternative camper is 560 Ultra from Camp-Inn. It can hold my 3 kids and me in it.
https://tinycamper.com/raindrop560ultra.htm
I'll be towing an Aframe, hard-sided pop-up camper. It's 1800# & 180 tongue. Cost $18k new. So easy to remember: 18, 18, 18.

A lot of folks forget about the frontal area. Ford lists the max recommended right there in their towing guide. Problem with any tow, whether camper or trailer, is the boxes that become wind sails with large frontal areas. Lots of drag to tow around.

A flat-bed type utility trailer and a pop-up style camper will be fine.

jonathan1994

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I know we aren't supposed to exceed manufacturers ratings.

But... with trailer brakes...

If I knew 2000lb up a small hill at 70mph was 60% engine output, then I PERSONALLY would be OK with say 3000lb over a short duration and rare occasion. I would just bleed speed going up hill to maintain the same max 60% engine output and stay on the gas 60% once over the hill to regain speed. Then on level ground I'd drive slower than the speed limit.

If you intend on towing often get the EB 2.0 or a larger vehicle.

Also, the smallest diameter wheel tire combination you can put on the front and still maintain load capacity by tire rating would put less strain on the poor hybrid drivetrain. You would have to watch tire pressure constantly and ABS won't be happy with smaller diameter out front. Very redneck work around to getting the correct truck to begin with.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll be towing an Aframe, hard-sided pop-up camper. It's 1800# & 180 tongue. Cost $18k new. So easy to remember: 18, 18, 18.

A lot of folks forget about the frontal area. Ford lists the max recommended right there in their towing guide. Problem with any tow, whether camper or trailer, is the boxes that become wind sails with large frontal areas. Lots of drag to tow around.

A flat-bed type utility trailer and a pop-up style camper will be fine.
Here are some comments about the frontal area by Cary, the owner of Camp-Inn. We discussed this issue last month in emails. I think he will be OK if I share it here.

"Frontal area. That is interesting that they note that. So, the front of our teardrops is 4' x 5' which then would be 20 sq ft. So, we are right there on that spec. You are right though our shape being so aerodyamic would not be nearly the load they are planning for."

Given the mysterious nature of aerodynamics, I cannot prove or disprove his statement.

Aframe looks like a good choice. Do you know how they made it? Steel frame or aluminum frame? Are the wall made of woods?

JoeinOh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tesla Model 3, 2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020
It's not the pulling you have to worry about, it's stopping it all.

My F150 Ecoboost supercrew pulled my 8000lb Launch 25 like it wasn't even there. Then when laid on the brakes and found out the surge brakes were not working, I nearly had to change my shorts!

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
It's not the pulling you have to worry about, it's stopping it all.

My F150 Ecoboost supercrew pulled my 8000lb Launch 25 like it wasn't even there. Then when laid on the brakes and found out the surge brakes were not working, I nearly had to change my shorts!
Hope you wore the brown pants

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hope you wore the brown pants
My "teeny tiny" camper, as some call it, still came with its own electric brakes. Some manufacturer's just slap it on even in States that don't require them.

The problem with not getting the 4k package is the Mav doesn't come with 7pin to control the camper/trailer's brakes. I've fixed that before with aftermarket and tuning the brake controller.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aframe looks like a good choice. Do you know how they made it? Steel frame or aluminum frame? Are the wall made of woods?
Mine is Aliner brand. It's steel box frame, powder coated. Only the walls are aluminum. Those are prefabbed poly foam + fiberglass with urethane. No wood stick-built. So that's where they get the weight savings. The floor is now laminated wood. Aliner floors were known to rot back in the day so they switched to laminates. If there's a wear/tear of the floor undercoating, which is where you'd get water from rainy road trips, Aliner recommends patching with Bondo/Loctite metal epoxy -- which I thought was pretty impressive.

These are all good questions but the Elephant in the Room is that any pop-up will have more seams than a box built. aka. factor in seals/gaskets needing replacing/adjusting. I've had to adjust/add a few gaskets.

It's good that the teardrops can get to the 20 sq ft. But 5'x4' is very short. You cannot stand up in those unless they come with a pop-out ceiling.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My "teeny tiny" camper, as some call it, still came with its own electric brakes. Some manufacturer's just slap it on even in States that don't require them.

The problem with not getting the 4k package is the Mav doesn't come with 7pin to control the camper/trailer's brakes. I've fixed that before with aftermarket and tuning the brake controller.
It is the only thing other than a fridge I already own for the Maverick. I went to etrailer (my usual trailer hitch etc folks) and for a 4-7 pin wiring adapter harness. In my case it’s for charging the wheelchair lift since I am going with the hybrid, but yeah it is super easy to install and not bad price wise.

one of my PTSD flashbacks is of an accident I was on clergy response for. Spent 4 hours holding a lady’s hand while she died because a semi rammed her trsilver on top of the cab of her truck. When they finally cut her out we found that arm had been severed early on, though she said she could feel me holding her hand. Sometimes there is nothing else to give than time and attention (and extreme unction in this case)

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
etrailer is great.

Sponsored

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine is Aliner brand. It's steel box frame, powder coated. Only the walls are aluminum. Those are prefabbed poly foam + fiberglass with urethane. No wood stick-built. So that's where they get the weight savings. The floor is now laminated wood. Aliner floors were known to rot back in the day so they switched to laminates. If there's a wear/tear of the floor undercoating, which is where you'd get water from rainy road trips, Aliner recommends patching with Bondo/Loctite metal epoxy -- which I thought was pretty impressive.

These are all good questions but the Elephant in the Room is that any pop-up will have more seams than a box built. aka. n in seals/gaskets needing replacing/adjusting. I've had to adjust/add a few gaskets.

It's good that the teardrops can get to the 20 sq ft. But 5'x4' is very short. You cannot stand up in those unless they come with a pop-out ceiling.
Thanks for sharing. Hybrid Mav drivers have challenges in towing, but I believe we can still have fun after some work.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

These are all good questions but the Elephant in the Room is that any pop-up will have more seams than a box built. aka. factor in seals/gaskets needing replacing/adjusting. I've had to adjust/add a few gaskets.

I am planning on building a CLC teardrop at some point in the not so distant future probably get back into sailing and diving if I can get doc cleared

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
1000-1200lbs plus everyone in the truck and what you have in the bed,,,
I think one of those trailers from Home Depot..4x6 or 5X8 would be great... But not packed with lumber or bags of concrete..
Maybe a pop-up trailer ??
I guess what I'm saying I'm not buying the Maverick to tow.. but if I did it would be very little..

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1000-1200lbs plus everyone in the truck and what you have in the bed,,,
I think one of those trailers from Home Depot..4x6 or 5X8 would be great... But not packed with lumber or bags of concrete..
Maybe a pop-up trailer ??
I guess what I'm saying I'm not buying the Maverick to tow.. but if I did it would be very little..
I don’t think anyone is suggesting a tiny home. Nor is anyone suggesting a framed hardwood anything. The question is how much would someone feel comfortable trailering.

different people have suggested different loads based on different circumstances.
But now you have me thinking about 2 things from my yout days:

when I was ahem younger and more single I used to cut grass for money to buy my next vehicle. Grass gets quite warm as it self combusts slowly and throw down some of those Mexican blankets and two people are suddenly pushed together in a nice warm soft grassy embrace ;)

that’s probably still doable.

the other thing we did was use a pond liner and fill up the bed with water then t try run the engine exhaust up through it (my pipes came up behind my cab) and use the heat to make a red neck jacuzzi. Probably would not work as water weighs to much to carry.

still good times back then.

how did any of us survive?