Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And which components are the same as the Mav hybrid?
Fine, you have a planetary powersplit dynamic ratio transmotor assembly in your integrated chassis self-charging EV ute if it helps make you feel better lest the motorheads might make fun of you for having a CVT.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fine, you have a planetary powersplit dynamic ratio transmotor assembly in your integrated chassis self-charging EV ute if it helps make you feel better lest the motorheads might make fun of you for having a CVT.

LOL not sure why you're so salty, or arguing.

Marketing is EVERYTHING. Note Ford didn't promote a "turbo", it's called "EcoBoost". The CVT is known to have reliability problems- they should call it "EVT" or "GVT" (electric variable transmission or gear variable transmission) or some fancy name.

Note how many people in this thread were "scared" of the CVT. Calling it something else would take away the fear Maverick eCVT is going to break down like CVTs can.

I could care less what other people think- I've been driving minivans since 2004 and bought a Civic with a CVT this summer while I'm waiting for my Maverick. But sure, argue away.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It used to be manual vs automatic now you have manual vs automatic vs cvt. You can weigh the benefits of each of them forever, it's not going to change the fact that "feel" is important to almost everyone in regards to their vehicle and people stick to their preferences more than they stick to cold logic or efficiency.
Fixed that for you, since almost nothing is available with manual anymore. You can't even buy any brand full size truck in the US with one.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fixed that for you, since almost nothing is available with manual anymore. You can't even buy any brand full size truck in the US with one.

For the last 5 years at least, only 3% of all new US cars purchased were manual. I believe even fewer cars have them now, that other transmissions are more 'efficient' or 'perform better'.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For the last 5 years at least, only 3% of all new US cars purchased were manual. I believe even fewer cars have them now, that other transmissions are more 'efficient' or 'perform better'.
Ford doesn't offer a manual on any of their "Performance vehicles" except the Mach 1. Mustangs still offer them, but the top dog GT500 only comes with a DCT.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This looks more like a software change and the same hardware.
Not that a change in hardware is needed as the Ford transmission has been very reliable.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have nothing against CVT's except you lose some feedback as to what your car is actually doing. The first time I drove one on a highway, as we were going down a long hill at highway speeds the sound of the motor was decreasing but the speed was actually increasing. So I thought I was slowing down when in fact I was speeding up. If they can get rid of that problem and make them cheaper and more efficient/economical than a standard trans I'd be fine with it in a daily driver.
My wife had a 2011 Prius w/CVT. She loved that car. 49-50mpg. I did not like the motorboating sound of the engine with the CVT. I test drove a hybrid Maverick XL. The Maverick eCVT was far superior to the Prius and had none of the motorboating sound or feel. Unfortuantely I could not find a hybrid Lariat so I went for the 2.0L and ordered a Lariat hybrid which I may or may not get due to constraints. I understand Ford licenses it's eCVT from Toyota.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My wife had a 2011 Prius w/CVT. She loved that car. 49-50mpg. I did not like the motorboating sound of the engine with the CVT. I test drove a hybrid Maverick XL. The Maverick eCVT was far superior to the Prius and had none of the motorboating sound or feel. Unfortuantely I could not find a hybrid Lariat so I went for the 2.0L and ordered a Lariat hybrid which I may or may not get due to constraints. I understand Ford licenses it's eCVT from Toyota.
Yeah my experiences are years old. The new cvts are getting much better reviews. Designs have improved a lot since the nissan debacle. They say the mav cvt has a much lower parts count than the 8 speed and should be mechanically reliable. Any new tech takes time to mature.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah my experiences are years old. The new cvts are getting much better reviews. Designs have improved a lot since the nissan debacle.
The eCVT Ford uses is pretty much mechanically unchanged from its introduction in 2004 with the Escape Hybrid. The difference is that it's a completely operating principle from ICE-only CVTs utilizing a metal band and variable pulleys. They're still both technically CVTs since the planetary eCVT design is able to dynamically alter the ratio between input speed and output speed.

So your experience is still technically true and intended operation of a CVT. The vehicle was accelerating but engine load was decreasing because gravity was doing the work. Instead of having a discrete, say, double-overdrive it just can do so seamlessly. Now in a Hybrid if it gets that low it'll typically just shut the ICE off. Or on a modern automatic vehicle there's tricks like cylinder deactivation.

Last edited:

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The eCVT Ford uses is pretty much mechanically unchanged from its introduction in 2004 with the Escape Hybrid. The difference is that it's a completely operating principle from ICE-only CVTs utilizing a metal band and variable pulleys. They're still both technically CVTs since the planetary eCVT design is able to dynamically alter the ratio between input speed and output speed.

So your experience is still technically true and intended operation of a CVT. The vehicle was accelerating but engine load was decreasing because gravity was doing the work. Instead of having a discrete, say, double-overdrive it just can do so seamlessly.
Said another way, there is more than one way to design a transmission that is continuously variable. An eCVT, while it is continuously variable, does not do so in the same way as a conventional CVT. CVT does not describe how it actually operates, though most will assume that all CVTs are alike.

Much like how a DCT is still an automatic transmission. Unlike a traditional auto, though, it operates more like a manual transmission that is automatically operated. Ford's DCTs definitely do not operate like the automatics that most are used to.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah my experiences are years old. The new cvts are getting much better reviews. Designs have improved a lot since the nissan debacle. They say the mav cvt has a much lower parts count than the 8 speed and should be mechanically reliable. Any new tech takes time to mature.
I am a firm believer that preventative maintenance is worth it. When/if my hybrid Lariat ever comes, I will change the fluid in the eCVT at 30k-40k depending if I do much towing. I plan on towing a teardrop camping trailer. I think a lot of problems people have are due to trying to skimp on maintenance. The issues with early Nissan CVT's may be related to design and not fluid changes, I don't have that information. But the eCVT in the '22 hybrid Mav XL I tested for 20+ miles felt and sounded really solid, without the motorboating sensation of the 2011 Prius. Eleven years made a big difference in the technology.

My1stFord

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there any advantage to this over a typical eCVT transmission, or is this a replacement for manuals?
In my opinion, this is a waste of the advantages of a CVT to appease people who miss the sound of shifting gears. The CVT maintains optimum rpm, where as an automatic does it's best to keep you as close as possible to that optimum rpm range. So they ruin the benefits of a CVT so it sounds better. Such a waste.

No proof on this one, but I'd bet this is much cheaper for them to build and that'd be the reason for them doing this and all their transmissions will end up this way soon enough.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a Versa Note with CVT. I liked the way it kept the rpm at best for fuel economy. On the highway it could just slowly raise the rpm for say a hill rather than a regular auto that has to drop down a gear and raise the rpm way up. Much better in my opinion. Now the belt had me worried so only kept it till 50K miles.

As for regular auto verse cvt or e-cvt you all forget unless I missed it a Dual Clutch auto. Not at all the same as any of the other autos discussed here. I don't like the dual clutch and passed on a Kia Nero hybrid because of it. , I see no issue with a E-cvt, looks like a solid design.
Sponsored