First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a non-car expert, just a driver, what difference does LED's make? Serious question. I've read here about people mod'ing the truck for led's but I don't understand why?
They last longer and tend to be brighter. If you put them in the tail/brake lights like some do, they are obnoxiously bright (imagine a headlight on the back of someone's vehicle) for people driving behind you.

IMO, if you want to get the LED just wait till your current bulbs burn out. Why waste perfectly good bulbs?
Sponsored

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They last longer and tend to be brighter. If you put them in the tail/brake lights like some do, they are obnoxiously bright (imagine a headlight on the back of someone's vehicle) for people driving behind you.

IMO, if you want to get the LED just wait till your current bulbs burn out. Why waste perfectly good bulbs?
I changed JUST my back-up lights, for better visibility in the dark. All other lights are plenty bright enough to be seen, especially from the range for which they are intended.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I was thinking that was the reason. But then again, I have noticed some headlights being a yellowish color and that is why people were replacing them. Members here are so passionate about replacing them. I just didn't get the reason. Thank you for your reply.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The only reason I didn't go Lariat on my build was because while I really wanted ACC, I hate leather (and fake leather) seats. To get cloth, I had to stick with the XLT.

So another vehicle with regular cruise control for me I guess (whenever it gets here 😆)

MikeyCNY

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat TREMOR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As a non-car expert, just a driver, what difference does LED's make? Serious question. I've read here about people mod'ing the truck for led's but I don't understand why?
Like was said, brighter and last longer - in bad conditions (heavy fog, rain, snow) they make it MUCH easier for people to see you. Halogens dim over time and aren't known for their durability..

Plus it looks better, more modern, more "luxurious".. IMO.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Like was said, brighter and last longer - in bad conditions (heavy fog, rain, snow) they make it MUCH easier for people to see you. Halogens dim over time and aren't known for their durability..

Plus it looks better, more modern, more "luxurious".. IMO.
Use less power. Smaller wires. Won't drain the battery if you leave them on.

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You could buy at least 2 acoustic windshields for $1500.
Not quite $1500 for two.

I just had to have my acoustic windshield replaced because it took a rock. Cost for replacement AND all the calibrations, etc. was $1,111. Not cheap..

So glad I spent the extra $$ on dealer offered windshield replacement plan that covered it all.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't get the appeal of the little accent LEDs on the front or back. They don't look particularly functional.
They are statistically safer.... but outside of looking badass not much function.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not quite $1500 for two.

I just had to have my acoustic windshield replaced because it took a rock. Cost for replacement AND all the calibrations, etc. was $1,111. Not cheap..

So glad I spent the extra $$ on dealer offered windshield replacement plan that covered it all.
I just had one replaced in our VW jetta about a month ago. There wasn't any "calibration" necessary so certainly less labor, total out-of-pocket cost was $520. Not sure why it would cost more than twice as much in the Maverick.

Sponsored

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just had one replaced in our VW jetta about a month ago. There wasn't any "calibration" necessary so certainly less labor, total out-of-pocket cost was $520. Not sure why it would cost more than twice as much in the Maverick.
The calibrations were for all the electronics such as lane assist, adaptive cruise, etc. need to be done whever replacing windshield. That part cost nearly as much as the glass alone.

crashdumie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
unknown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The calibrations were for all the electronics such as lane assist, adaptive cruise, etc. need to be done whever replacing windshield. That part cost nearly as much as the glass alone.
that is something you could probably do yourself. it is probably a menu you pull up by hitting certain buttons and then you hit another button to have it auto calibrate. at least that is my assumption. most electronics have an auto calibration these days. and is just making sure the camera can still see the road lines correctly.
so that part is probably pure profit for whomever you had do the install.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another consideration now with new MY23 pricing: If you do not believe you need AWD, it is now required on the Lariat EB. This is an additional $2200 which would cover the XLT luxury package. Total difference in price for the "base model" is now over $5700. I do realize you may recoup some of the AWD cost in resale value, but I drive them long enough that it matters little.

I got the base MY22 Lariat EB FWD for the dual heat/air controls, the faux leather seats, the acoustic windshield and the push button start. The lights were a bonus for me. Other bonuses were the Michelin VS Continental tires and color match on the mirrors and door handles and the electric locking tail gate and the electric rear window.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure. Point being, an acoustic windshield does not cost $1500 as the post I was responding to suggested. The actual acoustic windshield isn't much more expensive than conventional glass.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

LEDs dim over time as well.
Same is true for incandescent bulbs. My 2013 Prius headlights are pretty dim, and I really should be replacing them. It's on my "projects" list...
Sponsored