First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mustang GT, 08 Civic, 24 Lariat (scheduled 1/15
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Started looking in August 2023 for Hybrid XLT lux. Couldn’t find one for MSRP of course. Decided to order a 24 Lariat but was unhappy the keypad wasn’t factory and the removal of wiper deicer yet ordered anyway. Thought I’d have 8-12 months before it would show so the 37k was easier to swallow as I could save more. Well it’s only been 4 months and the Lariat is shipped. I didn’t like the idea of spending 37k on a vehicle so I checked the used again to see if prices came down. I ended up buying a 22 XLT lux hybrid in Alto blue with 28k miles for $27k.
After owning the XLT for a few weeks ,I doubt other than being new ,the Lariat is worth 10k more. I don’t need or want a lot of the Lariat features but the B&O sound, 18” wheels, 6.5” cluster screen and ambient lighting are things I was looking forward to having. Is the B&O significantly better than XLT? Are the Lariat seats more comfortable? Between price and the features removed from all 24 Mavericks I feel I answered my question. Any insight is appreciated.
Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the money you saved, you could take your XLT down to a local car stereo shop and have a killer sound system installed. Most shops would also install world class Recaro seats for a few grand, and you'd still have money left over that you could park in the bank for the 2025 redesign, should it appeal to you.

I think you made the right move, but that's just me. Love my XLT, especially the cloth seats.

OP
OP

Jeffreyd53

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree. I’m a DIY guy so I’ll do the audio myself and save even more. Just need to use the great resources here to get the dash rattles under control. Thanks for the insight.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, not sure its worth 10k more. My 2022 Lariat Lux was 30,800 and I don't regret it. The Adaptive cruise/lane centering is my favorite feature.

The B&O is not impressive. Sounds good though after I added a kicker hideaway, replace the rear speakers and center speaker.

Powernout

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We've had our Lariat for 3 weeks now. Lariat should stand for extra luxury. It doesn't.

We've noticed that Ford has done everything in their power to maximize profit by using cheap materials.
I'll summarise a few items on our disappointment list.

1. The steering wheel is flimsy and not ergonomic. You'd expect after over 100 years of making cars, you'd know what steering wheel feels good to hold and install it as a standard.

2. The false leather looks nice but feels tacky and you see every greasy finger on it.

3. The choice of video screen is one of inferior quality. I bought a $150 Android stereo for our other car and the quality is considerably better and it responds faster too.

The ambient lighting is minimal. It should at least be on the doors and in the middle console. And for the price I'd expect it to be able to change colours.

There's no memory setting for the seats.

There's no PDC on the front. Something I'd expect to find on any car over 25K.

There's no rain sensor.

The mirrors don't dim.

The quality of the hands free installed was amazing. In 2001.

And I agree: the sound is alright but it shouldn't take much to make it a more immersed experience.

Does that help?

Sponsored

Johnny maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 mav 16 superduty 89 xr7 sc 5spd 84 gt turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the money you saved, you could take your XLT down to a local car stereo shop and have a killer sound system installed. Most shops would also install world class Recaro seats for a few grand, and you'd still have money left over that you could park in the bank for the 2025 redesign, should it appeal to you.

I think you made the right move, but that's just me. Love my XLT, especially the cloth seats.
What he said

tcj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Started looking in August 2023 for Hybrid XLT lux. Couldn’t find one for MSRP of course. Decided to order a 24 Lariat but was unhappy the keypad wasn’t factory and the removal of wiper deicer yet ordered anyway. Thought I’d have 8-12 months before it would show so the 37k was easier to swallow as I could save more. Well it’s only been 4 months and the Lariat is shipped. I didn’t like the idea of spending 37k on a vehicle so I checked the used again to see if prices came down. I ended up buying a 22 XLT lux hybrid in Alto blue with 28k miles for $27k.
After owning the XLT for a few weeks ,I doubt other than being new ,the Lariat is worth 10k more. I don’t need or want a lot of the Lariat features but the B&O sound, 18” wheels, 6.5” cluster screen and ambient lighting are things I was looking forward to having. Is the B&O significantly better than XLT? Are the Lariat seats more comfortable? Between price and the features removed from all 24 Mavericks I feel I answered my question. Any insight is appreciated.
Well, you're comparing a new car with a used car . . . 28K is nothing to sneeze at (that's two years of driving at my current rate). I'm not saying you didn't get a good deal, or the best deal for you, but the difference of 10K is more than Lariat vs. XLT.

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, you're comparing a new car with a used car . . . 28K is nothing to sneeze at (that's two years of driving at my current rate). I'm not saying you didn't get a good deal, or the best deal for you, but the difference of 10K is more than Lariat vs. XLT.
Very true, I'm at 14k per year as well. Neither seem like a good deal to me. I suppose good deals are not the norm. I got an XLT lux for 25k with 0 miles, so I'm biased.

First Sergeant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid 2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We've had our Lariat for 3 weeks now. Lariat should stand for extra luxury. It doesn't.

We've noticed that Ford has done everything in their power to maximize profit by using cheap materials.

1. The steering wheel is flimsy and not ergonomic. You'd expect after over 100 years of making cars, you'd know what steering wheel feels good to hold and install it as a standard.

2. The false leather looks nice but feels tacky and you see every greasy finger on it.

3. The choice of video screen is one of inferior quality. I bought a $150 Android stereo for our other car and the quality is considerably better and it responds faster too.

The ambient lighting is minimal. It should at least be on the doors and in the middle console. And for the price I'd expect it to be able to change colours.

There's no rain sensor.

The mirrors don't dim.

And I agree: the sound is alright but it shouldn't take much to make it a more immersed experience.

Does that help?
Mirror dims, just not automatically. The good ole flip the little lever, just like my 67 Charger! I did the Kia mirror change on my XLT. My favorite mod. Auto dimming mirror, compass, and three garage door buttons! $50 bucks total.

OP
OP

Jeffreyd53

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is true and I’ve thought of this. Still the price difference allows me to add a Granger Ford warranty longer than new factory for $1200. The dealer will probably make my decision with insulting trade offer on the 22. Carvana offered an ok amount and carmax wants to see it for evaluation.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jeffreyd53

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mirror dims, just not automatically. The good ole flip the little lever, just like my 67 Charger! I did the Kia mirror change on my XLT. My favorite mod. Auto dimming mirror, compass, and three garage door buttons! $50 bucks total.

There's no rain sensor.

The mirrors don't dim.

Does that help?
It really does. I always felt the Maverick is a sub 30k vehicle and the XLT used to be 28k with enough content to be comfortable. Your opinion helps me realize it’s not a 37k vehicle.

Luthinator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Mav. Lariat Hybrid & 23' Ford Explorer XLT+
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I used to buy whatever I could find or what was on the lot. I, Personally driver 80 - 100 miles a day, depending on my route. I like having convince features and tech. My last car was a fully loaded 2018 Hyundai Sonata. It felt like a much more expensive car. It was nice to have all the features. I ordered the Lariat. When I ordered the price difference wasn't that much more ($7K I think) and the heated windshield was still listed. I whish I had gotten a small discount for not getting it. I have only had it for 2 days. Yesterday driving home with the back sliding window open... just cruisin down the highway with the cruise control on. I was very relaxed and have no regrets for getting the Lariat. I like the better tires and cool looking rims. I like bells and whistles. The Lariat also comes standard with the spray in Bed liner and the cooler accent lights front and back. For me I think the lower trim level head lights look weird.

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

There's no rain sensor.

The mirrors don't dim.

Does that help?

Buying a fully optioned entry-level vehicle does not make it a luxury vehicle. Also, it's a wannabe truck, so some of the manufacturing costs will have gone into capacity and capability at the sacrifice of interior finish. At $39k-ish a loaded Lariat is still well below the price of an average new vehicle as well.

Full disclosure, I checked every option box available in 2023 aside from Tremor. I'm sure I could find some niggles if I thought about it, but I utilize and appreciate everything my Lariat has and does. I feel the extra spend was worth it and still a good value, but I also realize I'm different from most forum members in that regard.
Sponsored