First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick,Porsche 986,997.1,S4,Tesla
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I fixed mine I attachEd garage wall protector . What big a big difference. I would say cut it longer got it in Amazon 4 large piece

Ford Maverick TSB & FIX: Hood Flutter Shake at Highway Speeds 76A33BDD-D330-45B3-A795-733AF8F2E01C
Sponsored

SBB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Shelby
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thursday morning 11/18 I had 2300 miles on the Maverick. At high speeds there was never any hood shake. I took it in for installation of accessories missing when I took delivery of the truck. One of those parts was the Aeroskin Hood Deflector. I like the way it looks. I picked it up Thursday afternoon and headed out on 400 mile trip. As soon as I hit the interstate set the cruise to 75. OMG, bad hood shake! Only difference was the Hood Deflector. I'm calling the Ford service guy Monday to see what they can do to stop it.
I'll let everyone know what they plan to do.

SBB

Update 1/9/22

The week of Christmas I took the Maverick to the dealership for resolution on the hood shake issue.
They took it for a test ride, they saw the hood shake bad like I told them it would, they took it to the body shop to adjust the hood. They took it for another ride. No difference, still had hood shake. They said there was nothing they could do. WRONG answer, I told them they could get me the smoked bug deflector like I ordered. As I told them, I had no hood shake before they installed the wrong deflector. Reluctantly they agreed.
While waiting for the new smoked deflector I tried,
1) Installing a 3/8 fuel line inside the existing hood rubber cushion at the back of the hood, ZERO results.
2) I kept the fuel line inside the rubber cushion and added some foam insulation doubled over the top of the cushion. Much better, maybe 50% less shake but still not acceptable.

Last week the new smoked bug deflector came in. I removed the textured bug deflector with integral spoiler (no big deal) and installed the new smoked bug deflector. I let it set up a couple hours and took it out for a test. Perfect, perfect perfect, at speeds that could cause me a problem with LEO, no shake. No hood shake anywhere. Zero, gone. The Maverick hood shake is history.

Hood shake started at 2300 miles when the dealer installed the textured bug deflector w/spoiler and ended today at 5960 miles when I installed the smoked bug deflector. I hate owning a test vehicle for Ford Motor Company.

I'm loving my Maverick, with the exception of two other issues,
1) I paid $200.00 for 4 lights in the bed and they installed two. They said I needed to deal with Ford. I made it clear, I wrote a check to the dealership for my truck, not Ford Motor Company. They are sending me a check for $100.00.
2) On the original order I requested and paid for a bed mat. No bed mat as of yet. I also paid to have the sprayed in bedliner, I wanted the mat so the spray in liner wouldn't get messed up.
I went to Northern Tool and bought a 1/4" mat to use until the real rubber mat arrives.

Owning my Maverick has been an interesting experience and I have no regrets about making my purchase. So far the good has over shadowed the not so good!

SBB

Last edited:

Charles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Next week I have a meeting at the dealership to discuss the following.
1) I ordered the smoked air deflector, my wife took the Maverick to the dealership to get that and a bunch of other things installed. She came home, they installed the textured deflector not the smoked one. The textured has a lip, the smoke doesn't. I put thousands of miles on the Maverick with no deflector and no hood shake. After textured deflector installed I now have hood shake any speed faster than 50 mph.
I will request they install the correct smoked deflector and hope the hood stops shaking.
2) I ordered the 4 bed lights at a cost of $200.00. They installed only 2. I will ask for a refund of $100.00.
3) I ordered a bed mat and paid for it upon delivery of the truck. No mat. I will ask where my mat is. Duh and I don't know is not an acceptable answer.

SBB
problem solved, no deflector, no shake!

Sponsored

Lucius

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lucius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update 1/9/22

The week of Christmas I took the Maverick to the dealership for resolution on the hood shake issue.
They took it for a test ride, they saw the hood shake bad like I told them it would, they took it to the body shop to adjust the hood. They took it for another ride. No difference, still had hood shake. They said there was nothing they could do. WRONG answer, I told them they could get me the smoked bug deflector like I ordered. As I told them, I had no hood shake before they installed the wrong deflector. Reluctantly they agreed.
While waiting for the new smoked deflector I tried,
1) Installing a 3/8 fuel line inside the existing hood rubber cushion at the back of the hood, ZERO results.
2) I kept the fuel line inside the rubber cushion and added some foam insulation doubled over the top of the cushion. Much better, maybe 50% less shake but still not acceptable.

Last week the new smoked bug deflector came in. I removed the textured bug deflector with integral spoiler (no big deal) and installed the new smoked bug deflector. I let it set up a couple hours and took it out for a test. Perfect, perfect perfect, at speeds that could cause me a problem with LEO, no shake. No hood shake anywhere. Zero, gone. The Maverick hood shake is history.

Hood shake started at 2300 miles when the dealer installed the textured bug deflector w/spoiler and ended today at 5960 miles when I installed the smoked bug deflector. I hate owning a test vehicle for Ford Motor Company.

1) I paid $200.00 for 4 lights in the bed and they installed two. They said I needed to deal with Ford. I made it clear, I wrote a check to the dealership for my truck, not Ford Motor Company. They are sending me a check for $100.00.
2) On the original order I requested and paid for a bed mat. No bed mat as of yet. I also paid to have the sprayed in bedliner, I wanted the mat so the spray in liner wouldn't get messed up.
I went to Northern Tool and bought a 1/4" mat to use until the real rubber mat arrives.

Owning my Maverick has been an interesting experience and I have no regrets about making my purchase. So far the good has over shadowed the not so good!

SBB
Thanks for taking the hit for the team. I'm going to contact my dealership tomorrow and request that they reach out to Ford to swap out the textured deflector for the smooth one. $79 isn't a huge price to pay to do it myself, but some principle involved here.

In terms of the bed mat, I ordered a BedRug directly rather than go through Ford for expediency and to save $36. Given that I just received it in December after ordering it in October, the notion of expediency flex out the window a long time ago. It's a nice addition and the dogs are loving it, but I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to get a bunch of bark or pine needles out of it. Wish I had gone with the one that's more of a rubber composite.

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting.........I have that same textured hood deflector and drove my Maverick 400+ miles in open highway, and the hood shake when I looked was clear and pronounced. So I can confirm as a second person that hood shake does exist, and maybe it IS that deflector. I hope FORD Accessories is getting awareness of this.

SBB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Shelby
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Got a check for $100.00 for item 1 above today. If I could get the mat, things would be great!

SBB

Jcaudi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Before I go through the process of returning the Textured Deflector. Can anyone confirm that they've successfully installed the Textured hood deflector without a hood shake? Or been able to completely remedy the hood shake?

Sponsored

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Those r held on with tape? That sucks. I would prefer a bolt on. What I can't understand is why some have the issue and some don't. We r missing something here?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Lol at Bug Deflector. Did ya get the plastic thingys that wrap around the windows too? What is the fascination with bolt on plastic garbage?

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Before I go through the process of returning the Textured Deflector. Can anyone confirm that they've successfully installed the Textured hood deflector without a hood shake? Or been able to completely remedy the hood shake?
I have seen maybe one person that did all kind of shimming and jumping through hoops, but says that worked. Not doing all that. I think your best bet is to return that textured and obtain the smoke version.

Lol at Bug Deflector. Did ya get the plastic thingys that wrap around the windows too? What is the fascination with bolt on plastic garbage?
Rain not getting in your car if you roll down the window and protection from bugs. Living in the south one trip down the road and you'll have guts all over the front of your vehicle. This helps and it makes the vehicle look nice too. One mans garbage is another mans treasure! See you learned something here today! You're welcome! :)

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
I live in Florida, we don't roll the windows down much. Especially when it's raining!

We do get lovebugs on our vehicles though. One trick we use is too hose the front down right after you get lovebug bombed, once it's soaked, scrub gently with a Bounce dryer sheet or two. Then rinse. Try it.

Geaux Gators! 🐊

Rain not getting in your car if you roll down the window and protection from bugs. Living in the south one trip down the road and you'll have guts all over the front of your vehicle. This helps and it makes the vehicle look nice too. One mans garbage is another mans treasure! See you learned something here today! You're welcome! :)

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Lol @ the janky fix recommended by Ford. "Go gitchu some AutoZone fuel hose..."
Sponsored