First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know right now my Maverick Hybrid doesn't have the hood shake issue without the deflector. However, the previous model that I test drove for awhile had the hood shake bad without the deflector. I am wondering at this point if the later builds have resolved this at least to a higher degree. The test Maverick was built 10/6 and the one I purchased was built 12/28.

RadioSousSol

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.radiosoussol.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder, 🤔, near the windshield, what is the movement? Does the hood have a tendency to lift or to sit more low? If the movement is sitting low at high wind, than yes, I believe that a gaz line or whatever more thicker than the hood seal will help. But if at high wind the hood has a tendency to lift, then I wonder what to do…

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been watching and see no hood shake on my hybrid built in October, delivered in January. No hood deflector installed.

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Heard about the 'hood flutter/shake/bounce', but had not experienced the problem/issue in the 4500 miles I've driven my Maverick.

Yesterday was running late for an appointment and needed to make some time. Was on an interstate highway, with light traffic, on a clear, sunny day, some wind, about 5-10 mph, and was pushing pretty hard. When I got to between 90-95, the hood started slow dancing, between 95-100 it ceased to be a dance and became and epileptic fit. The complete hood was moving front to back/side to side in random waves of about 2". MOST UNSETTLING! For a moment was concerned that the hood was going to come loose and fly off.

Eased off the speed, and below 90 no problem. Rare that I travel at any where near this range, but have approached 90 on occasion when passing other vehicles and never noticed any movement. In case there is a question of the speed accuracy, I have two GPS devices in the truck for routing purposes, and both were within 1 mph of the speed indicated on the dash.

I was passing an 18 wheeler at the time, and had I not known of the hood issue, it could have caused a much different, and potentially dangerous reaction. Hope this message gets around to others who have not yet had this experience. If it occurs, don't panic, just ease off the gas as smoothly/safely as possible, and keep watching the road, not the hood gyrations.

Vehicle is stock with no aftermarket accessories. Know the hood is aluminum, and wonder if the aerodynamics at these higher speeds are causing harmonics that create negative/positive pressure points that start the flutter. Did this occur in the wind tunnel and during the preproduction field testing? Can't believe the testers didn't push them into that speed range.

Be careful out there, we got enough of a problem dealing with the other hand grenades coming at us without this kind of potential distraction.

. . . . . .hpdl

Sponsored

AnthonyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had some shaking—nothing too bad—and then I read this thread. I adjusted the screw-style bump stops half a turn UP on each side and it fixed the issue about 75%. That’s good enough for me. I don’t want to push it too far and break the weather seal on the front of the hood by pre-loading it too far.

try that first. There’s a reason they are adjustable

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never once fluttered or shaken in 3.500 miles. November 18 build.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Never once fluttered or shaken in 3.500 miles. November 18 build.
Do you have a hood deflector? I don't remember. You really have that Mav looking good! LOVE IT!

Last edited:

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have a hood deflector? I don't remember. You really have that Man looking good! LOVE IT!
Nope. No deflector. It'd probably help with the rocks that I keep encountering on the highway! I just became a grandfather, but trying to avoid the grandfatherly look on my vehicles! I'm not even 50, yet! I'm sure I will give up and embrace it soon enough. 👨‍🦳

Sponsored

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. No deflector. It'd probably help with the rocks that I keep encountering on the highway! I just became a grandfather, but trying to avoid the grandfatherly look on my vehicles! I'm not even 50, yet! I'm sure I will give up and embrace it soon enough. 👨‍🦳
I understand the feeling. Fortunately with my shadow black I am hoping it sort of just blends in. LOL Our road here in LA are terrible. So, I really need that protection.

Last edited:

7Litre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sonata Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be wrong, but it looks like Ford removed the textured deflector from the store.

I haven't installed my textured deflector yet, but considering returning it for the smoked one.
I noticed that omission as well. I bought mine when I could get the 15% off in December, no truck yet. I'm more interested in deflecting stones than bugs, but I don't want to deal with hood shake. I'll have to look into my options.

SBB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Shelby
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand the feeling. Fortunately with my shadow black I am hoping it sort of just blends in. LOL Our road here in LA are terrible. So, I really need that protection.

I had the textured deflector and that caused hood shake.
Now I have the smooth black one.
Never realized trying to protect the front end of my truck was a sign of getting old.

SBB

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had the textured deflector and that caused hood shake.
Now I have the smooth black one.
Never realized trying to protect the front end of my truck was a sign of getting old.

SBB
I think Narangita and I are just shooting the breeze! Honestly, I don't care what anyone thinks. We customize these things the way we each want them. I do love seeing what everyone else does too.

So the smooth black one hasn't caused any continued hook shake?

Charles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That Black looks🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Sponsored