Sponsored

The Rotary Dial Is Great Design (Not Joking)

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are days where you wake up, and choose to be a chaotic force in the universe, today is one of those days. The rotary dial in the maverick is great design that clears up space, conveys the modern feeling of the vehicle, and forces the vehicle's operator to make sure they know what gear they're putting their vehicle in, it forces you to pay attention. It's also very precise, click, click, done.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, let's talk about automatic gear selectors that come straight out of the trash bag, steering column mounted shifters. Yep, the old nostalgic guys are gonna love me today. You know those bead and line mazes doctors used to have in their rooms? The ones usually made out of wood, where you had to guide a bead through a series of cutout grooves to make it to the end?

That's what trying to find a gear in a poorly designed column mounted shifter feels like. Except you're doing it blindfolded, and the grooves cut in the board are filled with mashed potatoes, so you can't feel anything, except the seething hatred towards the transmission building within you. "Let's go into drive, nope, that's reverse, nope, that's park, nope that's reverse again".
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd be happier with the old console lever shifter.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My complaint is that it isn't locked like the Explorer. The Explorer has thicker notches and you can tell when you got setting to setting and will not let you go further. I can spin the Maverick shifter like a top....

Otherwise, I don't mind the design. I usually keep my left arm on the window rest and drive with my right hand.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't mind the dial. It saves space and allows Ford to use essentially the same module on tons of vehicles they sell to drive down costs.

The only thing I don't particularly like is that I can't rest my right hand on it like I could with my Accord. 😫 I've gotten used to it, though.

Sponsored

Vettereddie

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My complaint is that it isn't locked like the Explorer. The Explorer has thicker notches and you can tell when you got setting to setting and will not let you go further. I can spin the Maverick shifter like a top....

Otherwise, I don't mind the design. I usually keep my left arm on the window rest and drive with my right hand.
^^ This ^^

Would be nice if the detents were more noticeable to know when you get to a new selection, and hard end stops would keep from over spinning.

I do like in the hybrid at least it automatically goes to park when you turn off the ignition, but then I don't do any flat towing.

Sponsored

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why do you think you need to indicate that you're not joking? It's a perfectly reasonable statement, and I agree completely. I loved the rotary shifter right from the start...and this from an older guy who is very set in his ways.

Panther City Outdoors

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would be nice if the detents were more noticeable to know when you get to a new selection, and hard end stops would keep from over spinning.
100% true.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I initially thought I'd hate the rotary... now I don't ever want to drive a car without it. The old way now seems so clunky and archaic.

Eric From RI

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Love the dial, think it's a great design. Spin a bunch to the right, it's in Drive. Spin a bunch to the left, it's in Park. Reverse is the only time I need to pay attention to ensure it's in the right spot, and that's most often leaving my driveway. At that point, I've already gone through a button-pushing spree, anyway (Seatbelt nanny, Ready to drive, Eco mode), so one more thing to look at isn't too big a deal.
Sponsored