Sponsored

Rotary Shifter not Idiot Proof (I'm an Idiot).

rivermaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Fusion (UK), MEV Sonic7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First mistake - swing across the street in our little Cul-de-sac to back into my driveway, turn shifter two clicks - lurch forward nearly into my neighbor's yard.
Backing out of a parking space - still rolling slowly, switch to Drive, engaged Park with a jolt. Even at minimal speed stopping nearly 4000 lbs with a little pawl can't be good.
I expect that over minimal speed park is locked out, don't intend to try it though.
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First mistake - swing across the street in our little Cul-de-sac to back into my driveway, turn shifter two clicks - lurch forward nearly into my neighbor's yard.
Backing out of a parking space - still rolling slowly, switch to Drive, engaged Park with a jolt. Even at minimal speed stopping nearly 4000 lbs with a little pawl can't be good.
I expect that over minimal speed park is locked out, don't intend to try it though.
Dang! Who woulda thunk some young whipper snapper two thumb programmer would not have coded slam on brake and then engage parking pawl after motion had been stopped.

Potatomafia

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The shifter detents could definitely be a lot more positive. The dial shifter in my 2015 Ram 1500 was pretty chunky. And the shifter had stops at P and D. I never mis-shifted in that truck.

I did have an embarrassing moment in the Mav though. I was going through an automated carwash and didn't get the shifter all the way in N. I started rolling forward while the truck was on the belt and the attendant hit the emergency stop. She started screaming at me but I couldn't hear her over the carwash noise. Oops lol

Sponsored

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I absolutely love the rotary shifter...greatest thing since sliced bread!

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Rotary Shifter not Idiot Proof (I'm an Idiot). C1Dyyb8UoAA0-Od

Last edited:

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I drive a manual transmission Tacoma daily and only drive my wife's Mav on weekends. I struggle with that dial. I think it's because I'm used to the feel of which way a lever should go vs actually looking at it. I have to look at that dial position but I can feel the shifter position in my rig.

Johnny0625

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, definitely takes getting used to. If I had a nickel for every time I went to back into a parking spot, but spun the knob to P instead of R, I'd just Rev the engine in the middle of parking lot and look like a total dill hole (with a driveout tag to boot) 🤣

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've done the change into park more times than I can count. Even worse when you go into neutral and rev the engine. As much as I try to tell myself to stop and look down every single time, I don't do it every single time. I did it on the previous Escape and I've done it a couple times on the Maverick as well.

I don't hate it, but I don't like it. Same as I don't like the electronic parking brake because I can't change my own rear brake pads since the stupid thing won't go into brake service mode and FORD has no fix other than an SSM advising servicers to use FDRS to force it.

The whole thing - the dial, the e-brake - just seems VERY unreliable. I hope I never have a major issue with it.

Last edited:

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Look first. Then shift. There, that wasn't so hard.
Can you imagine the complaints we'd hear if Ford built the Maverick with only a manual transmission? You mean I have to coordinate accelerator, clutch, and shifter simultaneously? Couldn't they invent something simplier?

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After 5 months, I no longer hardly look at it. One notch to the right to back out of the garage, then I SPIN it to the right. It can't do anything but end up in Drive. Come to a stop somewhere to park, SPIN it to the left and it will be in Park. Probably would have worked just as well to have the dial STOP at Park and Drive, but it wasn't that hard to get to learn to spin for 3+ clicks in either direction.

And although I have not gotten into the (bad?) habit of just pressing the Off Button when stopped in Drive, it will automatically go into Park, all on its own.

Different as hell, but like driving a scooter, it is easier if you don't look down.

A Sturdy Beast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mav XL Hybrid, Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m trying to get in the habit of looking at the gear indicator on the dashboard instead of looking at the dial. The dashboard is a lot easier to see and a more familiar experience.

Also, I think that the habit of switching to drive while still rolling slowly backward is terrible for the transmission.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The shifter detents could definitely be a lot more positive. The dial shifter in my 2015 Ram 1500 was pretty chunky. And the shifter had stops at P and D. I never mis-shifted in that truck.

I did have an embarrassing moment in the Mav though. I was going through an automated carwash and didn't get the shifter all the way in N. I started rolling forward while the truck was on the belt and the attendant hit the emergency stop. She started screaming at me but I couldn't hear her over the carwash noise. Oops lol
You mean like a child lock cap on medicine bottles? LOL
Sponsored