OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
Is there a chance this was done intentionally? Getting into a tailgate/sitting on a tailgate with a slight lean angle is easier. I noticed it on mine as well, but it was actually easier for me to load the dirtbike in the back with this slight adjustment. Just a thought
No definitely not. If you strap a load down that sticks past the 4-1/2' box it should be supported by the tailgate.

If that 2" drop is helping any for loading dirtbikes... I don't know man we ride some gnarly stuff up here on the west coast, i should just keep my comments to myself. Everyone should ride dirtbikes and I hope the mav gets more people out on the trails.

Sponsored

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Pretty simple geometry especially with today's cad technologies. Maybe its not a defect but there is really no excuse either.
I bet either the designer screwed up cable length or the manufacture of cable did. I bet someone interpreted the cable dimension wrong. They included something in the assembly thinking it was cable measurement. Just a guess.

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
I bet either the designer screwed up cable length or the manufacture of cable did. I bet someone interpreted the cable dimension wrong. They included something in the assembly thinking it was cable measurement. Just a guess.
Like I said, not the end of the world and mistakes happen but if this happened on a Raptor they would never live it down.

jwiedle24

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat w/Luxury Pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haha, your joking, right? Using it as a straight edge not a level. I guess it would be more accurate to say that they do not plane.
Haha yes I was just teasing. But ya meant ‘not straight’. I have a long level from Lowe’s that I feel isn’t a true straight edge which is annoying, but it’s plastic. The metal ones like that are usually good though.

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
Haha yes I was just teasing. But ya meant ‘not straight’. I have a long level from Lowe’s that I feel isn’t a true straight edge which is annoying, but it’s plastic. The metal ones like that are usually good though.
25 years as a finishing carpenter... I don't hesitate to toss a faulty level. Trust is earned not assumed.

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
My God another F-up from Ford. Built Ford tough! It looks like crap with the tail gate hanging lower. These are brand new trucks for gods sake. No attention to detail, I agree with the carpenter ...come on Ford! WAKE UP!

Sponsored

tsled

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.helibuilder.net
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Gray, Hybrid, XLT Maverick
If everyone has their service department open a ticket on it, that should get Ford's attention.
I am due to get mine in a week, if it is that way you can believe I will open a "ticket" at the dealership, I too think we all should. The picture above is proof the cables are too long.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will check mine, but pretty certain mine is on same plane as bed.

Bodageta

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Chevrolet K1500, 1989 Corvette Conv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not a big deal but I’ve never seen this issue anywhere either. Have to ask……how effing difficult is it to make a truck with a level tailgate? A true engineering feat! Hope this type of attention to detail is not reflected elsewhere on something really important like, say, the powertrain or the airbags or………
I’m a former automotive engineer and now aerospace and I believe that it is likely that way for a reason. The reason being to shift the bulk of load carrying away from the tailgate. Just a hunch. I noticed it immediately in the first photos I saw. Seeing it still bothers me from an asthetic standpoint.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m a former automotive engineer and now aerospace and I believe that it is likely that way for a reason. The reason being to shift the bulk of load carrying away from the tailgate. Just a hunch. I noticed it immediately in the first photos I saw. Seeing it still bothers me from an asthetic standpoint.
As an engineer, you say bulk of the load would be supported by the bed... but on the other hand is there ANY of the load possibly supported by the gate if the gate isn't level? I'm thinking most objects in the bed would have a relatively long flat plane like wood. Unless it's an object that has four feet, for example, and two of those feet are sitting on the gate. But in that case that seems bad to have the object slanted downwards out of the bed, a little bit, technically?

Last edited:
OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
The tailgate is rated to carry 500lbs which is approximately 1/3 of the payload. The tailgate is roughly 1/3 of the bed length. If your an engineer I will let you do the math.
Sponsored