Sponsored

Tailgate Support for Hauling Motorcycles (or loads) with tailgate level.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had made a set for my Sport Trac because the short bed required my motorcycles to rest the bike's rear tire on the tailgate. These supports firmed that up and removed the weight on the cables. Commercial ones are available for some trucks but cost typically 99.00 a pair.

Today I build a set for my Maverick which I have not hauled a bike in yet but plan to do that soon. I will post a picture once I have a bike loaded.

I started with the same scrap 1/8-inch thick aluminum angle pieces from an Army Surplus store south of town that I had used before. I needed more so found more and paid 2.00 for each length of aluminum. I used 2 in this project.

Picture of support with bottom not attached gives you an idea that the tailgate will have to come up some for the bolt to line up. Once the bolt is out it is easy to align the holes. Yes, I made them so the tailgate will be level when in use. The factory straps will not be supporting any weight but still attached for safety.

Ford Maverick Tailgate Support for Hauling Motorcycles (or loads) with tailgate level. brace

These pictures show how I made the top attachment. They slide on then down prior to bolting the bottom in place. The bent over tang keeps the top part from moving toward the large end.
Ford Maverick Tailgate Support for Hauling Motorcycles (or loads) with tailgate level. IMG_7699.JPG
Ford Maverick Tailgate Support for Hauling Motorcycles (or loads) with tailgate level. IMG_7698.JPG

The bottom end has the top cut to clear the bed and duct tape on the inside to protect the paint when bolted in place by the one of the tailgate bolts that holds the tailgate latch in place. At star Allen head tool is required to remove the bolt and tighten it back down. The material was already narrowed at this end by the bolt but should still be plenty strong.
Ford Maverick Tailgate Support for Hauling Motorcycles (or loads) with tailgate level. IMG_7697.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
cool, thanks for sharing. I probably wouldn't ever need it but nice to know there may be an option out there