Sponsored

Truxedo X15 Pro will NOT close with tailgate up!

MaverickSVT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Contour SVT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone know how to adjust the x15 pro to allow the cover to be closed/latched with the tailgate up? I just installed my cover yesterday and I can not get it to close with the tailgate up.

Thanks
Sponsored

Uncle Ed

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander,Outlook,S10,1968Camaro,22Maverick.hybri
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone know how to adjust the x15 pro to allow the cover to be closed/latched with the tailgate up? I just installed my cover yesterday and I can not get it to close with the tailgate up.

Thanks
Just a guess but maybe the cover needs to move towards the cab. Mine will close either way but I always open the cover to shut the tailgate so that the rubber seal will be on top of the gate to better shed water.

OP
OP
MaverickSVT

MaverickSVT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Contour SVT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I tried moving the rails up towards the cab little by little and retesting to see if I can get the x15 pro to close with the tailgate up.
I ended up moving them far enough towards the cab that the seals are not even touching the back tailgate anymore and it STILL will not close/latch with the tailgate up.

Do you guys think itā€™s a defective x15 pro?
Itā€™s so strange that I read others had the same issue Iā€™m having while others did not have this issue.

Iā€™m puzzled.

See pics attached of the end of the rails by the tailgate, you can see that I moved the rails up towards the cab and that the seals are not even touching the tailgate anymore. I know itā€™s not supposed to be like this but i wanted to see if the issue was the rails needed to be moved further back towards the cab.
That obviously not the issue.

Ford Maverick Truxedo X15 Pro will NOT close with tailgate up! E4E074F7-D520-4C8A-A0BB-B2283D051193

Ford Maverick Truxedo X15 Pro will NOT close with tailgate up! 5B98B649-FC5E-4F2D-BA4A-9488E04A7874

OP
OP
MaverickSVT

MaverickSVT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Contour SVT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a guess but maybe the cover needs to move towards the cab. Mine will close either way but I always open the cover to shut the tailgate so that the rubber seal will be on top of the gate to better shed water.
I tried moving them towards the cab and it didnā€™t resolve the issue. Super bummed.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have that cover on both of my trucks and have never had an issue with it.

When you say it wonā€™t close, what exactly is doing? Is it not latching or is it not dropping down to the latch?

Sponsored

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have the rails too low or angled. readjust the rail at the tailgate end a little higher as already suggested.
While you are at it move the rails back where you had them, That rear foam pad should have an 1/8" of compression not a gap as your pictures show.

OP
OP
MaverickSVT

MaverickSVT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Contour SVT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have the rails too low or angled. readjust the rail at the tailgate end a little higher as already suggested.
While you are at it move the rails back where you had them, That rear foam pad should have an 1/8" of compression not a gap as your pictures show.
I readjusted back by the tailgate like you suggested, I raised it to where itā€™s higher than it should be now to try to compensate to get it to close with the tailgate up.
Even lifting the rails (back by the tailgate) slightly higher than they should be, itā€™s still not latching closed with the tailgate up.
I also moved back the rails so the foam pads are touching the tailgate.

See pic how I raised it higher towards the gate like you suggested. Still a no go.
First pic is after I raised it.
Second pic is how itā€™s supposed to be flush on the caps per the instructions. You can clearly see in the first pic I raised it a little and itā€™s still not working.

Ford Maverick Truxedo X15 Pro will NOT close with tailgate up! CE0EC386-61B4-47E5-A865-67A28981D894

Ford Maverick Truxedo X15 Pro will NOT close with tailgate up! 2F697C8B-AB6E-4D05-B1B6-3F10FC34C868

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The latch is on the driver side, how does it look? I had the same thing and needed fiddle with the angle to get it right. I also backed off the tension adjuster a bit.

Ford Maverick Truxedo X15 Pro will NOT close with tailgate up! F7C626DF-48A4-418E-95FF-A9971103A921

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaverickSVT

MaverickSVT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Contour SVT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The latch is on the driver side, how does it look? I had the same thing and needed fiddle with the angle to get it right. I also backed off the tension adjuster a bit.

F7C626DF-48A4-418E-95FF-A9971103A921.jpeg
Looks like this.
I messed with this for over an hour only way I was able to get it to latch with the tailgate up was have my friend close the tailgate with me in it and push upward on the driver side rail while my friend pushed down on the cover and it latched,

Ford Maverick Truxedo X15 Pro will NOT close with tailgate up! 05EFDEA7-19A2-4754-9378-0472CD72E5DB

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks to me like it needs to rotate a bit counter clockwise

Reactions: wjg
Sponsored
OP
OP
MaverickSVT

MaverickSVT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Contour SVT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks to me like it needs to rotate a bit counter clockwise
What do you mean? Are you saying the tension adjustment screw needs backed off?

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I think the whole rail needs to be rotated. Back off tension on the clamp, pull up on the rail from the inside and then retighten the clamp. Thatā€™s what I had to do.

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had the same issue with my Pro X15.
While the rail looks level, with the tailgate open, look at what the rail is doing when you are latching it. You will see that it actually flexes down, before it will latch. It stops flexing, then it latches. When the tailgate is closed, the rail flexes down, but never gets to the ā€˜stopā€™, so it doesnā€™t latch; the cover hits the top of the tailgate.
If you stick your finger under the bed cap, you will feel that the metal kind of ends too early. This is why the rail flexes too much, it is bending the plastic bed cap down/inward. I ended up putting a shim in that area to prevent the flexing. It took me a long time to figure that out.
I ended up not liking how it ā€˜flapsā€™ and makes noise around 45 mph (hits the cross bars). I tried to adjust the tension, but then I had this latching problem come back. I gave up and got the BAK X4S.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine can be a little tight in cold weather but once I adjusted it and dialed it in it works fine. You really need a nice warm day in the sun to get it properly stretched after installing the first time. You could always stop by a dealer and toss them a few bucks to help adjust it. They may have some tricks.
Sponsored