Swap to Lithium ion 12v battery.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
According the owners manual this is the battery that comes in the Hybrid Maverick: XT-99RT4-A
Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According the owners manual this is the battery that comes in the Hybrid Maverick: XT-99RT4-A
O'Reilly carries this battery.

My Maverick is also a Hybrid with the battery under the back seat in the Cab so it shouldn't be as exposed to extreme temperatures compared to be mounted under the hood. Hopefully that will extend it's life some.

Ford Maverick Swap to Lithium ion 12v battery. 12V Battery.JPG

Last edited:

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put a LiPo in my motorcycle the last time around. Prices have come down. It is lighter than the maintenance free lead acid battery original. That's nice in a moto, especially as the battery is up high in my bike.

But the real reason I went to LiPo is because they hold charge better during long periods of disuse. My car will never sit for a month or three without me using it. Unfortunately, my bike does.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mostly the slight possibility of a dead 12v battery from parasitic drain common in hybrids.
Is that even a thing anymore?

I'm betting the truck comes with a small lawn mower battery lol. Need more capacity for accessories, airport long term parking, etc.

Details show that is not a lightweight battery:

Ford Maverick Swap to Lithium ion 12v battery. 12V Battery Details.JPG

Last edited:

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
O'Reilly carries this battery.

My Maverick is also a Hybrid with the battery under the back seat in the Cab so it shouldn't be as exposed to extreme temperatures compared to be mounted under the hood. Hopefully that will extend it's life some.

12V Battery.JPG
Geez, I'm gonna miss the cheap parts I could get away with in my Impala. The Maverick may be a cheap vehicle, but its way more expensive than anything I've ever owned...

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's pretty standard price for a battery these days. And the Motorcraft ones hold up pretty good which is more than can be said for some of the mid-range offerings from the chain auto stores.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where is the 12V battery in the Hybrid? The manual (p.310) says it is under the hood and refers to the diagram on page 301 -- which is the EcoBoost diagram.

The hybrid under-hood diagram (p.302) doesn't show a battery and I can't find it anywhere else in the manual. (It's probably in there somewhere, but I can't find it.)

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where is the 12V battery in the Hybrid? The manual (p.310) says it is under the hood and refers to the diagram on page 301 -- which is the EcoBoost diagram.

The hybrid under-hood diagram (p.302) doesn't show a battery and I can't find it anywhere else in the manual. (It's probably in there somewhere, but I can't find it.)
In the passenger side of the rear under-seat storage area. You lose all but a few inches of storage on that side as a result.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the passenger side of the rear under-seat storage area.
Just to be sure... I know the high voltage battery is under the rear passenger seat, but is the 12V battery in the same location? Is there a diagram or picture of that anywhere?

There's a picture of the "pin" that you use for jump-starting on p. 282 of the manual, but it doesn't say where the actual battery is.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just to be sure... I know the high voltage battery is under the rear passenger seat, but is the 12V battery in the same location? Is there a diagram or picture of that anywhere?

There's a picture of the "pin" that you use for jump-starting on p. 282 of the manual, but it doesn't say where the actual battery is.
HVB under the floor foot area mainly, not accessible from inside. 12v literally under the seat, accessible (in its own plastic compartment, within the under seat storage area). Takes up a little room.

Minor note: the battery under the floor technically gives the hybrid ~1 inch less legroom than the ecoboost in the backseat, I guess since the floor is lifted ever so slightly higher and changes the knee-impact level of the curvy back-of-the-seat.

Last edited:
Sponsored

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know this is an old thread but I had to put my 2 cents in. I got a 2002 Mustang GT in 2001 had a Mach 460 watt radio system and 1,000 watt amp for 2 subwoofers. Plus I live in Wisconsin where the cold weather isn't good on batteries. My motorcraft battery lasted 12 years at least when I finally sold the car it still had the original factory battery. So I will buy motorcraft batteries any day.

BankableWhee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would be hesitant to replace the Maverick’s lead-acid battery with a 12-volt lithium ion battery, unless Ford’s engineers say that it’s okay. My worry with making this switch would be the risk of over-depleting your battery, and increasing the risk of thermal runaway and failure. Based on a quick look at 12v Li-ion car batteries for sale, most seem to not have integrated BMS, so they would have to rely on the car to monitor over and under-charging, and that’s mainly where my concern is.
That being said, if anyone ends up switching up their battery to Li-ion, please remember to consider replacing the battery if you ever fully-deplete it, since lithium ion cells are often unable to guarantee safe functionality after being completely-drained.
I appreciate reading about everybody’s suggestions and experiences; stay safe out there!

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Supercars have them to save weight, but it wouldn’t have much point on a truck.
(Also note that the small lithium ion batteries that come in ferraris and mclarens usually come with battery tenders and recommend using them regardless of time parked.)
So unless you need every last ounce of weight savings, just stick with what it comes with. It’s a $22,000 compact truck.
(My thinking anyways)

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put a LiPo in my motorcycle the last time around. Prices have come down. It is lighter than the maintenance free lead acid battery original. That's nice in a moto, especially as the battery is up high in my bike.

But the real reason I went to LiPo is because they hold charge better during long periods of disuse. My car will never sit for a month or three without me using it. Unfortunately, my bike does.
Depending on the bike you should take a hard look at nano gel. They hold during standard by very well and usually come in much higher amps

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would be hesitant to replace the Maverick’s lead-acid battery with a 12-volt lithium ion battery, unless Ford’s engineers say that it’s okay. My worry with making this switch would be the risk of over-depleting your battery, and increasing the risk of thermal runaway and failure. Based on a quick look at 12v Li-ion car batteries for sale, most seem to not have integrated BMS, so they would have to rely on the car to monitor over and under-charging, and that’s mainly where my concern is.
That being said, if anyone ends up switching up their battery to Li-ion, please remember to consider replacing the battery if you ever fully-deplete it, since lithium ion cells are often unable to guarantee safe functionality after being completely-drained.
I appreciate reading about everybody’s suggestions and experiences; stay safe out there!
In addition, Li-Ion has performance issues in the cold. They require heating to be useful. The latest go around for motorcycles are Li-Iron batteries but most people do not run their bikes below freezing much less below 20 F. Li-Iron is not as prone to rapid thermal events but has slightly less charge density.

Putting a Li-Ion 12v battery in place of the stock 12v battery is NOT RECOMMENDED.
Sponsored