Sponsored

Lithium-ion Battery pack size for the Maverick's Hybrid system?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You sure? Ford's current BEV fleet uses pouch cells. MME and E-Transit come from LG like the hybrid battery cells, while F-150 Lightning sources from SK.
According to this article on the 2020 Escape Hybrid Ford was using Panasonic cells for that application.
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According to this article on the 2020 Escape Hybrid Ford was using Panasonic cells for that application.
Now I'm about to go too far down a rabbit hole.

It could be that Ford's current hybrids use Panasonic prismatic cells while plug-in hybrids use LG Chem pouch cells. Different suppliers and cell types for FHEV vs. PHEV. My recollection was mainly from Kuga (Euro Escape) PHEV being recalled and NA Escape PHEV being delayed due to recalls on the LG Chem cells. And that being tied into concerns with Hyundai Kona and Chevy Bolt.

That might actually explain why FHEV was never recalled here but PHEV was...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...automakers-in-hot-seat-over-evs-idUSKBN27X2ZW

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PHEV/BEV are trying to package a lot more power so space efficiency starts to become a concern. 1.1kWh isn't that much and even then only about 75% of the pack (about the size of a large suitcase) is the cell array itself.

Ford Maverick Lithium-ion Battery pack size for the Maverick's Hybrid system? 1668207472804

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PHEV/BEV are trying to package a lot more power so space efficiency starts to become a concern. 1.1kWh isn't that much and even then only about 75% of the pack (about the size of a large suitcase) is the cell array itself.

1668207472804.png
Right, I just hadn't seen it mentioned that they use different battery cells. Assumed they were the same. Whoops. :)

Makes sense, anyway. An Escape FHEV uses the same 1.1 kWh pack as a Maverick. Escape PHEV gets 14.4 kWh and it's not 13x the size. Plus, FHEV batteries are constantly charged and discharged throughout each drive.

Last edited:

Greaser46

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Silverado, 2022 Tesla 3 LR
does anyone know what the voltage output is for the high voltage battery? TIA

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
does anyone know what the voltage output is for the high voltage battery? TIA
WARNING:
TO PREVENT THE RISK OF HIGH-VOLTAGE SHOCK, ALWAYS FOLLOW PRECISELY ALL WARNINGS AND SERVICE INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDING INSTRUCTIONS TO DEPOWER THE SYSTEM. THE TOTAL VOLTAGE OF THE VEHICLE HV BATTERY PACK MAY BE UP TO APPROXIMATELY 450 VOLTS DC. THIS VOLTAGE IS PROVIDED THROUGH HIGH-VOLTAGE CABLES TO ITS COMPONENTS AND MODULES. THE HIGH-VOLTAGE CABLES AND WIRING ARE IDENTIFIED BY ORANGE HARNESS TAPE OR ORANGE WIRE COVERING. ALL HIGH-VOLTAGE COMPONENTS ARE MARKED WITH HIGH-VOLTAGE WARNING LABELS WITH A HIGH-VOLTAGE SYMBOL. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...et/resources/2022_Maverick_BatteryRemoval.pdf

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That label is misleading.
I've come to understand it is a common boiler plate label and not specific to any particular make or model. But if you say "Hey, this could contain up to 450 volts" you covered your ass when the real voltage is about 220 VDC.

The nominal, resting voltage of the Maverick HV battery pack is 220 volts.
Charging vigorously it may reach 240 volts. You're going to get a check engine light and maybe a system shut down if it ever exceeds 265 volts. During heavy drain like heavy acceleration it may drop to 190 volts.

That's confirmed for the battery.
The traction motor and starter are AC motors. So your Mav has two very large "alternators" in fact. So there are inverters and transformers and rectifiers and all that. Seems crazy I know, but turns out, AC motors are much easier to control, are lighter, stronger, and more efficient and have fewer "wear" surfaces than DC motors.

So while the battery is 220 volts. It is possible the "alternators" could generate up to 450 volts AC before all the conversions and transformations but I've only had mine a month and have not read up on the motors yet. But I will. 🥸

Ford Maverick Lithium-ion Battery pack size for the Maverick's Hybrid system? 4C089856-80FF-4C50-8329-F2BFD7FD4DDD

Power (W) = Current x Volts

Scanner attached to Maverick OBDII port.

Voltage at 31.8% charged above.
Voltage at 71.4% charged below.

Ford Maverick Lithium-ion Battery pack size for the Maverick's Hybrid system? 8DAD3FD0-F905-43EB-8ECC-77990375F8AF

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The keen observer will be able to see from the above post that the Maverick HV battery contains 60 "cells".

You're welcome. 😎

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

^interesting August 2011 article I guess???

Working "together" cut hybrid truck development time to just 10 years! Wow!
Sponsored