Swap to Lithium ion 12v battery.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
When I see these threads, I always wonder what folks are thinking. Cars (in the US) are 12v negative ground electrical systems. How does the drivetrain change that?
Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How to Jump Start a Maverick Hybrid:

Ford Maverick Swap to Lithium ion 12v battery. Jump #1.JPG

Ford Maverick Swap to Lithium ion 12v battery. Jump #2.JPG

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well for one you’re probably talking about a lithium iron not ion battery. Big difference, I put them in my motorcycles, not cheap..
The real issue is charging voltage, a battery tender will not keep them charged, they are technically 12.5 volt batteries but need at least 14.2 volts to charge/maintain a charge.. unlike a lead acid.
So it really depends on the charging circuit regulation of the vehicle.

just my .02 worth…

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Mostly the slight possibility of a dead 12v battery from parasitic drain common in hybrids. I'm betting the truck comes with a small lawn mower battery lol. Need more capacity for accessories, airport long term parking, etc.

Also, might put lithium ion pack under the truck to free up the under seat storage.
It’s a pickup truck, if you are so concerned about the battery...carry a spare in the bed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
I am confused……Explain to me why people purchase a low cost truck and then add Expenive Wheels, Tires, Lift kits, etc and then with all these modifications expect to get Maximum mileage and Ford to cover these under the warranty ! A $20000 truck and you want to buy a $1400 battery?

Sponsored

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am confused……Explain to me why people purchase a low cost truck and then add Expenive Wheels, Tires, Lift kits, etc and then with all these modifications expect to get Maximum mileage and Ford to cover these under the warranty ! A $20000 truck and you want to buy a $1400 battery?
Cheapest option. We are going to customize it anyways so why get the upgrades that won’t matter

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Funny how no one has mentioned that the 12v battery in hybrids tend to last far longer due to less strain.​
You've ignored that the 12v battery doesn't start the engine.​
Then on top of that it's not charged by an old school engine rpm dependent alternator. It is charged by a dc to dc inverter capable of constant voltage adjustable current charging which also leads to a less stressful life for the 12v battery. That same inverter is what powers the accessories most of the time.​
In summary worrying about the 12v battery is a waste of brain cells.​

Last edited:

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Funny how no one has mentioned that the 12v battery in hybrids tend to last far longer due to less strain.​
You've ignored that the 12v battery doesn't start the engine.​
Then on top of that it's not charged by an old school engine rpm dependent alternator. It is charged by a dc to dc inverter capable of constant voltage adjustable current charging which also leads to a less stressful life for the 12v battery. That same inverter is what powers the accessories most of the time.​
In summary worrying about the 12v battery is a waste of brain cells.​
😂 so I guess thinking kills brain cells, if so then I must be a complete idiot… oh wait you may have a point but I don’t recognize it… Where was I going with this? Never mind…

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
😂 so I guess thinking kills brain cells, if so then I must be a complete idiot… oh wait you may have a point but I don’t recognize it… Where was I going with this? Never mind…
😆 I didn't say kill. It's a waste of using them. Go to bed.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are worried about parasitic drain, just throw a jump pack under the seats. I just replaced my 4-5 year old Aukey one with one from Audew ( project farm recommendation). They are great to jump yourself, and nice when someone else needs a jump. My old one had less CCA then the new one I got, and I jumped multiple V8 trucks with it, always got a look of amazement. If you are unfamiliar, here is a the Project Farm video on them

( he also has a newer one with other brands, but the Audew has been pretty inexpensive lately).

Sponsored

Tuckinnuts

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Will be installing big lithium in mine yinlongs 120+ah when get for car audio. Do not put lithium in bay will f it up.
also will need to either put a disto block or extend wires for the bms sensor. That sensor will cause bunch of issues

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OR MAYBE you just spent all last winter in Alaska snowed "in the cabin"🤔🤗

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why would you want a LiON 12V? I can understand wanting an AGM battery or even a deep cycle marine battery but LiON batteries require near constant recalibration (which is why they are fine for the HVB) but you want something solid for the 12v system. You want something that can deep discharge and come back fast
You also have to have a proper temperature environment for recharging Li
Or a BMS monitoring all ( the cabin is not suitable to mange temperatures when the sun is beating down and it's 110 degrees )

sanpablo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Shelby GT500, 1999 Ford Windstar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not if the battery you get is the correct specs. If that were the case than anyone who bought a batt from an auto store would void the warranty. Ford will release what size batt for it and then you will pick between budget and high dollar. One thing I do not recommend cheaping out on is a battery....well that and oil
And don't cheap out on tires also :)

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid