Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Will we be able to swap to a better 12v battery without sending the computer into a panic attack?
Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you seen the $$$ of LiOn 12V? INSANE.

A properly maintained lead acid should last just fine, and costs 1/4 less.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Will we be able to swap to a better 12v battery without sending the computer into a panic attack?
Why would you want a LiON 12V? I can understand wanting an AGM battery or even a deep cycle marine battery but LiON batteries require near constant recalibration (which is why they are fine for the HVB) but you want something solid for the 12v system. You want something that can deep discharge and come back fast

OP
OP

jonathan1994

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Why would you want a LiON 12V? I can understand wanting an AGM battery or even a deep cycle marine battery but LiON batteries require near constant recalibration (which is why they are fine for the HVB) but you want something solid for the 12v system. You want something that can deep discharge and come back fast
Mostly the slight possibility of a dead 12v battery from parasitic drain common in hybrids. I'm betting the truck comes with a small lawn mower battery lol. Need more capacity for accessories, airport long term parking, etc.

Also, might put lithium ion pack under the truck to free up the under seat storage.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Mostly the slight possibility of a dead 12v battery from parasitic drain common in hybrids. I'm betting the truck comes with a small lawn mower battery lol. Need more capacity for accessories, airport long term parking, etc.

Also, might put lithium ion pack under the truck to free up the under seat storage.
If you decide to put a LiON battery in a place it can be heated and punctured, I am NOT coming to your rescue. I will however wear my “if you see me running you should try and keep up” shirt

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Negative....They do not require recal on a 12v system....the HVB maybe, but the 12v are good for the life of the batt...the issue is in a vehicle they do not last any longer than a traditional battery. Thats why I never put them in my boat....the only real advantage is the weight savings which can be good in a boat, but a 24 or 36v batt cost over a grand where as 3 or 2 12 are 900 or less and thats if you buy top of the line. I mean think about it, if they required recal every powertool out there would need that and I have yet to see one that does. The 12v batt is less technical than a Makita batt by a longshot.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Negative....They do not require recal on a 12v system....the HVB maybe, but the 12v are good for the life of the batt...the issue is in a vehicle they do not last any longer than a traditional battery. Thats why I never put them in my boat....the only real advantage is the weight savings which can be good in a boat, but a 24 or 36v batt cost over a grand where as 3 or 2 12 are 900 or less and thats if you buy top of the line. I mean think about it, if they required recal every powertool out there would need that and I have yet to see one that does. The 12v batt is less technical than a Makita batt by a longshot.
Also, most car batts never deep discharge unless there is an issue elsewhere. No one in the world buys a deep cycle marine because its useless in a car.(Marine batts are no different than a car except they are designed to be put at odd angles according to the way the boats AOA is.)

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
would switching to non-OEM battery void the warranty?

BTW: from pictures of under the rear seat in hybrid you can see the battery box, and it looks to be about phone book size.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
would switching to non-OEM battery void the warranty?

BTW: from pictures of under the rear seat in hybrid you can see the battery box, and it looks to be about phone book size.
Not if the battery you get is the correct specs. If that were the case than anyone who bought a batt from an auto store would void the warranty. Ford will release what size batt for it and then you will pick between budget and high dollar. One thing I do not recommend cheaping out on is a battery....well that and oil

Sponsored

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
Have you seen the $$$ of LiOn 12V? INSANE.

A properly maintained lead acid should last just fine and costs 1/4 less.
and that is an understatement, I can get a good interstate for about $110 @costco with a 4 year warranty which is great for normal vehicles(not track cars) the LiIon for my track 911 was $1389 and only has 12mo warranty and that was in 2019 before this crazy skyrocketing of prices, I don't even want to think what it cost now.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you decide to put a LiON battery in a place it can be heated and punctured, I am NOT coming to your rescue. I will however wear my “if you see me running you should try and keep up” shirt
I think a Lifepo4 is OK.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not if the battery you get is the correct specs. If that were the case than anyone who bought a batt from an auto store would void the warranty. Ford will release what size batt for it and then you will pick between budget and high dollar. One thing I do not recommend cheaping out on is a battery....well that and oil
My batteries in my new cars tend to last longer than the warranty period, so then I do as you do and just go with a quality battery of the correct specified size and power. I was just curious what happened if you do it while under warranty still. Sounds like you got it handled.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My batteries in my new cars tend to last longer than the warranty period, so then I do as you do and just go with a quality battery of the correct specified size and power. I was just curious what happened if you do it while under warranty still. Sounds like you got it handled.
I just had an electrical issue under warranty with my Versa....I originally diagnosed as a bad batt and replaced it. No issues when it turned out the BCM, Steering angle sensor, powersteering control module and both headlights were all shot. Now the dealership originally tried to pull it was caused by an improper battery size or reversed jumper cables cause. But due to me being an ass and having electrical certifications out the wazoo thanks to being an electronic technician on aircraft and having COMMON SENSE, it all was replaced at a 100 dollar deductible fee...well all except the headlight bulbs that were not covered. Ofcourse Nissan tried charging me 100 per bulb and then 40 in labor and I told them were to go stick it. I replaced them in 5 minutes for 50 bucks with top of the line bulbs.

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I doubt there will be too many claims with the 12v battery, maybe if they were sitting on the lot waiting for a sale... But not likely since they're going straight to homes for the most part.

I drive 30k/year so I'll let you know about the hvb... Hopefully no news will be good news...
Sponsored