2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Maverick Hybrid, Street Glide Special
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Had an odd behavior with my hybrid Maverick the other day and wanted to see if I am the only one.

Where I park is a slow speed zone (30km/h) so when I get in the truck, I have a few hundred meters of electric running in the morning before I hit a small hill and the gas motor usually fires up when I am on the hill. I have noticed that when the gas motor fires up for the 1st time on a trip it usually runs about 3 minutes. I assume this is to charge the battery and get the engine warmed up.

What happened was I was sitting at the red light at the top of the hill with the gas engine running and the truck kept trying to lurch forward. Basically it felt like letting the clutch out on a stick shift car. I kept pressing the brake harder and harder to keep the truck from moving and it didn't move but it sure wanted to.

I chalked it up to a one off event but I am noticing it more and more these days. The first time I stop after the first time the gas engine is running, it seems like it is pulling against the brakes. After the first stop, it doesn't seem to do it, but then again the gas motor isn't usually running when I stop after that.

Anyone else seen this behavior?
first time this week. I went down the driveway in electric on the first start of the day. I stopped at the end of the drive and went to auto brake mode. When the ICE engine started, it started lurching against the brake.
Sponsored

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Try it a few times. Do whatever it takes to park overnight with a low HV battery.
Report back if you think it runs more smoothly the next day.
I have experienced this "surging" at a variety of HV charge levels. Obviously all this is anecdotal, but it does seem to be worse in colder temps. It just seems to happen if you are stationary during the catalytic converter warmup cycle. For most people this is a relatively rare occurrence, but depending on where you live/work it could happen everyday.

For example - if I park at a State-of-Charge above ~50% I am generally able to leave my work and pull up to the first light (100 feet away) under all electric power. If the ICE starts before I get to this light, I consistently experience some surging. It varies in both frequency and intensity.

In every case, as soon as a charging load is applied to the ICE all surging subsides. You can hear/feel this change take place if you are paying attention.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup. That's what I see quite a few times.
Sponsored