First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many…
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When the key is on there is a noise coming from under the hood. Is that part of the electric motor or just noise because they aren’t running?
Sponsored

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If an electric motor is not running, there is no noise. Startup sequence should be consistent with sounds. Just get used to it and if it remains the same don't lose any sleep over it. Ford programed whatever is making noise and when. Every car and hybrid are different but similar.

Montykeel

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011Escape Hybrid and 2022 XL Poverty Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on driving our hybrid Escape for almost 10 years, I'm used to turning the key and the engine starting sometimes and not starting other times.

Veritech

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAV4 Hybrid, 2007 MX-5, 2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Waiting for my Maverick Hybrid expected delivery next month. Do your hear the noise when switch to drive or reverse when ICE does not turn on? My RAV4 Hybrid makes a whirling noise in drive or reverse when engine is off. This is for pedestrian warning at low speed since hybrid in EV mode are stealthy to nearby pedestrians.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When the key is on there is a noise coming from under the hood. Is that part of the electric motor or just noise because they aren’t running?
That’s super vague lol, can you describe the noise at all or compare it to some other noise?

After hitting start, mine sometimes does a “coil whine” up in pitch then down, over maybe 5-10 seconds, then it’s pretty much quiet after that. I figured thats some moving parts or pumps doing a system check of some kind.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shelby1962

Shelby1962

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many…
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s super vague lol, can you describe the noise at all or compare it to some other noise?

After hitting start, mine sometimes does a “coil whine” up in pitch then down, over maybe 5-10 seconds, then it’s pretty much quiet after that. I figured thats some moving parts or pumps doing a system check of some kind.
When I turned the key on the sound is constant. its a fairly loud humming sound, almost like a fan. But not from the heater box or radiator.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I turned the key on the sound is constant. its a fairly loud humming sound, almost like a fan. But not from the heater box or radiator.
Possibly the electric water pump. My Fusion does the same thing when I remote start it. A few clicks then a hum for 2-3 seconds before it starts the ICE.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Almost certainly a pump. The battery really exposes you to the noises a vehicle makes that's usually unnoticeable because of the engine thumping away.
Sponsored