First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is like all other push button start cars. Push and hold button down and engine shuts off. WHY did anyone think it would be different on a Mav than all the other PTS cars?
I think it stems from thinking that all PTS cars are like that. But you know about people and there ignorant assumptions.
Sponsored

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same here. Love that I can just tap it and I'm done. Perhaps it's similar on the XL and XLT with the key...dunno. Or maybe it doesn't work because the key shouldn't be able to be removed when in gear.
You can turn the engine off with a key and it will automatically put the vehicle in park. I've done it by accident a couple of times. When the engine is off, you can't shift into park =)

Kelli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One feature that I accidentally discovered with the PTS is that if you push it after coming to a stop, it will automatically put it in park and shuts off completely. Just like a Prius, you don't have to put the vehicle in park in order to turn it off. Just tap the starter button and it electronically puts it in park so the vehicle doesn't ghost roll on you. It's both a safety feature and convenience feature. I still shift into park when pulling up to a spot since we've all been trained to do that but after discovering this feature, I find myself just tapping the starter button every so often now.
Interesting thought. I wonder if that would help those that are having trouble stopping in places like drive thru lanes, etc. Yes, you would have to restart, but if it avoids an accident. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting thought. I wonder if that would help those that are having trouble stopping in places like drive thru lanes, etc. Yes, you would have to restart, but if it avoids an accident. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
That's what the Auto brake hold is for.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One tangential note -- I accidentally hit the rotary dial while going like 25mph, apparently I rolled the dial to (P) Park, but it pops up a message saying, essentially, you're going to fast for park and that it will put it in park as soon as you stop. And it sure did, at about 1-2mph or so it jerked hard into park. It didn't really let me some to a full comfortable stop.

Sponsored

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea I eye rolled hard everytime a reviewer said something about it. Like I guess people in infomercials could do it but you would have to be a real dunce to legitimately have a issue.
It seems some reviewers suffer from Push to Start Disorder (PTSD)

Ford Maverick Push to Start Button Myths Debunked life-after-covid-19-spike-in-ptsd-cases-man-stress

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it stems from thinking that all PTS cars are like that. But you know about people and there ignorant assumptions.
Name me the car that has a push button start that does NOT do what i said. I am waiting.

OP
OP
Jmav2152

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Name me the car that has a push button start that does NOT do what i said. I am waiting.
I think you are misinterpreting what Im saying. I'm saying people have misconceptions about it based off speculation and hesitancy.

People assume because they no longer have a key that they lose certain functionalities. Like for instance, being able to kill the engine. Alot of folks have not owned a vehicle with PTS so they think it's some crazy contraption when it's just like a key.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, your wait is over,

My Viper does not do that.

LOL

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same here. Love that I can just tap it and I'm done. Perhaps it's similar on the XL and XLT with the key...dunno. Or maybe it doesn't work because the key shouldn't be able to be removed when in gear.
Have the keyfob, it will let you shut the engine off while not in park so long as the brake is held, key sticks until the gear auto-sets P then the key releases.

Reactions: bgn
Sponsored

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So whether this has already been addressed or talked about I'm not really sure but I figured ill just post it and see what happens.

As I'm sure many of you are like me and watched plenty of review videos and looked at photos of the Maverick, it undoubtedly has one of the oddest locations for the PTS(Push to Start)button. While this is ant about if you like or dislike it I wanted to address two things that I discovered after a discussion on Maverick Reddit page. Some one brought up that with a key they could kill the engine and coast in a emergency with a key and the same thing could not be done with a PTS setup. So for "science" and inflating my ego I figured "F*ck it, let me see what happens".

MYTH #1:
You can in fact, kill the engine while driving in a PTS Maverick, you just need to hold down the button for approximately 2-3 seconds and the engine will shutoff and the vehicle will drop to accessory power. I tried this at 30Mph on a side street on my way home from work at like 1 am, I didn't think it would be safe at all to try at main street or highway speeds. So again, tested at 30Mph the maverick shuts off the engine after a 2-3 second hold of the PTS button.

MYTH #2:
I don't know if this will help anyone but the second Myth I wanted to clear up is the one I've heard about accidently shutting down a maverick while driving if you were to bump the PTS button and how it was especially worrisome for taller drivers. Spoiler alert: Its not. I'm 6'6" and its not even close to a issue. So no, the quick accidental hit(I cant imagine this even being possible)of the PTS button will not shut down your maverick and get you rear ended by a semi. It takes longer than a accidental press to shut it off.

So...Yup that's about it I guess.

TLDR:
You can shutdown a PTS Maverick while driving by holding down the PTS button for about 2-3 seconds. You wont shut it down from a quick Accidental press of the button.
My issue is not being able to put my Mav in neutral without starting the engine. Got a fix for that? Also can't get going without closing the door. I'm sick of all these features that are meant to keep troglodytes from hurting themselves. Why do we keep trying to circumvent natural selection?

Kaytu

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My issue is not being able to put my Mav in neutral without starting the engine. Got a fix for that? Also can't get going without closing the door. I'm sick of all these features that are meant to keep troglodytes from hurting themselves. Why do we keep trying to circumvent natural selection?
Because, given it's a vehicle, that idiot driver might end up naturally selecting you as their +1?

It's annoying but I get it, you don't want to be the one manufacturer that looks like it's actively resisting safety features for their drivers (and those around them)

Mikeysd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Laiat pepper red Lux package 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I find it hard to think people would mess with pts button once their truck starts. I mean, I can't possibly ACCIDENTALLY push and hold onto that button (despite it not necessarily being in the ideal location).
Push button=truck on. Park car in desired location, push button again=truck off. It's not that difficult is it??
People do crazy things for no reason so I can see someone doing this.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I need groceries. Going to drive mine. You guys talk about on / off, park or what ever else. And it’s already cooled down inside waiting for me.