Sponsored

Push button start - will vehicle shut itself off if you forget to power off?

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
oh yes but even "track mode" in production cars that kill the mileage and turn off several safety features.
I'm not very familiar with "track mode".

Is that something you can switch a car into and leave it that way forever (which is what we were talking about with turning auto start/stop off permanently)?

Or is it something you have to turn on each time (which is how turning off auto start/stop works)?
Sponsored

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I'm not very familiar with "track mode".

Is that something you can switch a car into and leave it that way forever (which is what we were talking about with turning auto start/stop off permanently)?

Or is it something you have to turn on each time (which is how turning off auto start/stop works)?

Depends on the car, if memory serves the Porsche I drove stayed in whatever mode you tell it to. Track mode tends to have the engine run a lot more aggressively with worse mpg and emissions, lower the suspension and/or stiffen it, open up the exhaust, and beyond that will depend on the car.

I'd imagine there's a car out there that switches back to default mode if you shut it off in track but I don't know of one personally.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on the car, if memory serves the Porsche I drove stayed in whatever mode you tell it to. Track mode tends to have the engine run a lot more aggressively with worse mpg and emissions, lower the suspension and/or stiffen it, open up the exhaust, and beyond that will depend on the car.
If that's the case, then I would expect that "track mode," or something like it, would only be available on a limited number of vehicles/models so as not to have much effect on the mileage calculations for CAFE standards.

(Either that or, as used to be the case and may still be, the makers of real "sports" cars can pay a fine or buy "CAFE credits" from other manufacturers to make up for the bad MPG.)

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
If that's the case, then I would expect that "track mode," or something like it, would only be available on a limited number of vehicles/models so as not to have much effect on the mileage calculations for CAFE standards.

(Either that or, as used to be the case and may still be, the makers of real "sports" cars can pay a fine or buy "CAFE credits" from other manufacturers to make up for the bad MPG.)
That is definitely possible.

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Search on here yielded nothing. I've never owned a push button start vehicle. If you forget to push the button how long will it run before it shuts itself off? Or will it turn off if the key isn't in the proximity anymore?

NO!Ihavea2017KiaNirohybrid....Iofrgetatleastonceaweek

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Base Grp 500A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
vehicle will beep at you its displeasure
You got that right! It does talk to you, but it just won't answer when I ask, "What did I do, now?"
I am still trying to coordinate leaving it running, getting out to open the tailgate or get gas without the alarm going off. The heater takes too long to heat up the cab to turn it on and off frequently. After 3 months, I still love it!
Sponsored