First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So whether this has already been addressed or talked about I'm not really sure but I figured ill just post it and see what happens.

As I'm sure many of you are just like me, you have watched plenty of review videos and looked at uncounted photos of the Maverick. So we can be honest and admit it undoubtedly has one of the oddest locations for the PTS(Push to Start)button. While this is isn't about if you like or dislike it, rather I just wanted to address two things that I discovered after a discussion on the Maverick Reddit page. Someone brought up that with a key, they could kill the engine and coast in a emergency and the same thing could not be done with a PTS setup. So for "science" and inflating my online arguement ego I figured "F*ck it, let me see what happens".

MYTH #1:
You can in fact, kill the engine while driving in a PTS Maverick, you just need to hold down the button for approximately 2-3 seconds and the engine will shutoff and the vehicle will drop to accessory power. I tried this at 30Mph on a side street on my way home from work at like 1 am, I didn't think it would be safe at all to try at main street or highway speeds. So again, tested at 30Mph the maverick shuts off the engine after a 2-3 second hold of the PTS button.

MYTH #2:
I don't know if this will help anyone but the second Myth I wanted to clear up is the one I've heard about accidently shutting down a maverick while driving if you were to bump the PTS button and how it was especially worrisome for taller drivers. Spoiler alert: Its not. I'm 6'6" and its not even close to a issue. So no, the quick accidental hit(I cant imagine this even being possible)of the PTS button will not shut down your maverick and get you rear ended by a semi. It takes longer than a accidental press to shut it off.

So...Yup that's about it I guess.

TLDR:
You can shutdown a PTS Maverick while driving by holding down the PTS button for about 2-3 seconds. You wont shut it down from a quick Accidental press of the button.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So it does not turn off @ 30mph ? Just confirming- Thx

OP
OP
Jmav2152

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Jmav2152

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I find it hard to think people would mess with pts button once their truck starts. I mean, I can't possibly ACCIDENTALLY push and hold onto that button (despite it not necessarily being in the ideal location).
Push button=truck on. Park car in desired location, push button again=truck off. It's not that difficult is it??

OP
OP
Jmav2152

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I find it hard to think people would mess with pts button once their truck starts. I mean, I can't possibly ACCIDENTALLY push and hold onto that button (despite it not necessarily being in the ideal location).
Push button=truck on. Park car in desired location, push button again=truck off. It's not that difficult is it??
Yea I eye rolled hard everytime a reviewer said something about it. Like I guess people in infomercials could do it but you would have to be a real dunce to legitimately have a issue.

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One feature that I accidentally discovered with the PTS is that if you push it after coming to a stop, it will automatically put it in park and shuts off completely. Just like a Prius, you don't have to put the vehicle in park in order to turn it off. Just tap the starter button and it electronically puts it in park so the vehicle doesn't ghost roll on you. It's both a safety feature and convenience feature. I still shift into park when pulling up to a spot since we've all been trained to do that but after discovering this feature, I find myself just tapping the starter button every so often now.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

One feature that I accidentally discovered with the PTS is that if you push it after coming to a stop, it will automatically put it in park and shuts off completely. Just like a Prius, you don't have to put the vehicle in park in order to turn it off. Just tap the starter button and it electronically puts it in park so the vehicle doesn't ghost roll on you. It's both a safety feature and convenience feature. I still shift into park when pulling up to a spot since we've all been trained to do that but after discovering this feature, I find myself just tapping the starter button every so often now.
Same here. Love that I can just tap it and I'm done. Perhaps it's similar on the XL and XLT with the key...dunno. Or maybe it doesn't work because the key shouldn't be able to be removed when in gear.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would use this feature if it automatically applied the parking brake as well all the time. I believe it only puts the brake on if you're on a slope. I'm a diehard parking brake guy, even on perfectly flat ground, so I still put it in park the old fashioned way every time

Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would use this feature if it automatically applied the parking brake as well all the time. I believe it only puts the brake on if you're on a slope. I'm a diehard parking brake guy, even on perfectly flat ground, so I still put it in park the old fashioned way every time
Yep hear that- Had an E/brake release issue as a kid messing around with moms, 68 Cougar- Got it out of gear- started rolling towards a 40 ft drop, somehow knew how to push the brake pedal and put in park- True story but yea sketchy- Life in the late 70s- fun times

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You would be right with the parking brake on slopes. It does engage automatically. One time at my friends house, I went to park and since his driveway is pretty steep, as soon as I parked it, it sensed the incline and automatically set the parking brake. Another nice safety feature.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is like all other push button start cars. Push and hold button down and engine shuts off. WHY did anyone think it would be different on a Mav than all the other PTS cars?

Linda B

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Lux!!!, E450 Lazy Daze Motorhome
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You would be right with the parking brake on slopes. It does engage automatically. One time at my friends house, I went to park and since his driveway is pretty steep, as soon as I parked it, it sensed the incline and automatically set the parking brake. Another nice safety feature.
It also automatically releases the parking break when you put it in gear and step on the accelerator (p195 owners manual)

Linda B

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Lux!!!, E450 Lazy Daze Motorhome
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Page 161 of the owners manual describes how to stop the engine when the car is in motion...PTS: press and hold or press 3 times, key: turn it off. Then shift into neutral and brake to a stop.
(yeah I actually read the whole manual last night. :eek: I just picked up my truck and the sales person didn't know the answers to some of my questions: XLT hybrid lux 360 has heated wiper park that turns on with the heated mirror, no separate switch. And it has cross traffic alert. )
Sponsored