Sponsored

Push button start - will vehicle shut itself off if you forget to power off?

Justduwe

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xlt ecoboost
Search on here yielded nothing. I've never owned a push button start vehicle. If you forget to push the button how long will it run before it shuts itself off? Or will it turn off if the key isn't in the proximity anymore?
Sponsored

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
If it’s like my experiences it keeps running.

Rojo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT, Alto Blue, AWD Eco-Boost, Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My GF has push button on her Forester, you can remote start the vehicle but it wont let you put it in gear until you push the button to start. It will run something like 15 minutes before it shuts off again. I think you can remote start it twice before you have to get in the car and push the button to start it. If you get in to drive and don't start it then it just dings at you until you do.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you leave it running it just stays running. If you come back and try to leave without the key, the vehicle will alert you that the key isn't in the vehicle

Sponsored

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Search on here yielded nothing. I've never owned a push button start vehicle. If you forget to push the button how long will it run before it shuts itself off? Or will it turn off if the key isn't in the proximity anymore?
If you remote started the vehicle only certain functions are active. Until you get into the vehicle and push the Start/Stop button you will not be able to drive it and a message will be on the dashboard that it is in "Remote Start Mode". The engine will turn it self off after a predetermined amount of time which is 10 minutes by default. That can be changed in the menu system on the dash. If you leave the vehicle running and leave with the key, the vehicle will beep at you its displeasure and a red notice will display on the dash that no key is detected. If you don't have the key in the vehicle after that, then it will also shut off after a predetermined amount of time. FYI - it is also possible to start the vehicle even if the key fobs battery is dead by removing the rubber pad on the console and placing the key on the right side where the car can detect it although you will have to unlock the truck using the key inside the key fob first.

thunaman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you ordered the XLT trim you don't have to worry. Push button start is only available on the Lariat trim level.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They keep on running. Once I left my car running in a busy parking lot for 3 hours. Fortunately it didn't get stolen or run out of gas. It's one of the things I hate about pushbutton. I wish I could go back to a plain old key with no electronics involved but instead we get these ridiculously huge key fobs.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Page 162 of the owner's manual, vehicle will shut down after 30 minutes of idling. Remote Start will shut down after 15 minutes (see page 123).

HOW DOES AUTOMATIC ENGINE
STOP WORK
Automatic engine stop turns the engine
off. The ignition also turns off in order to
save battery power. Before the engine
shuts down, a message appears in the
information display showing a timer
counting down. If you do not intervene
within 30 seconds, the engine shuts down.
Another message appears in the
information display to inform you that the
engine has shut down in order to save fuel.
Start your vehicle as you normally do.
SWITCHING AUTOMATIC ENGINE
STOP ON AND OFF
1. Using the information display controls
on the steering wheel, select Settings.
2. Select Vehicle Settings.
3. Switch 30min Max Idle on or off.
Note: You cannot permanently switch off
the automatic shutdown. If you switch it
off, it turns on each time you switch the
ignition on.
OVERRIDING AUTOMATIC ENGINE
STOP
You can stop the engine shutdown, or reset
the timer, at any point before the
30-second countdown has expired by
doing any of the following:
• Pressing the brake pedal or accelerator
pedal.
• Pressing the OK or RESET button
during the countdown.
Note: You cannot permanently switch off
the automatic engine shutdown feature.
When you switch it off temporarily, it turns
on at the next ignition cycle.

Rojo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT, Alto Blue, AWD Eco-Boost, Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They keep on running. Once I left my car running in a busy parking lot for 3 hours. Fortunately it didn't get stolen or run out of gas. It's one of the things I hate about pushbutton. I wish I could go back to a plain old key with no electronics involved but instead we get these ridiculously huge key fobs.
What vehicle? We parked in a Forester and sat for 30 minutes while waiting on someone at the airport and it turned off, we had to push the button to turn it back on.

Sponsored

JSanchez

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Suburban C1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford has 3 setting for remote start. 5, 10, and 15 minutes. If you do the remote start from your phone/Ford Pass you can keep adding time. Doesn’t matter if it’s push start or turn key.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I was a kid my Dad had a 1950 Ford that had a key and pushbutton start. Of course, that pushbutton was wired directly to the starter solenoid and not some computer....

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My daughter has a 2018 explorer with pushbutton start. If you leave the vehicle running, even with the key inside, it will first pop an alarm that says something about shutting down in like 30 sec unless you press OK, and if you don't it shuts down. I didn't time it, but the 15 min referenced earlier seems about right.

Found this out while waiting for her at an appointment, enjoying the AC and browsing for Maverickstuff on my phone. (Only patients allowed in due to covid restrictions).

Not sure if it's adjustable, or if it's going to be the same in our Mavericks, but its a similar year ford with similar electronics. Even has sync 3, which I like.

JSanchez

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Suburban C1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What vehicle? We parked in a Forester and sat for 30 minutes while waiting on someone at the airport and it turned off, we had to push the button to turn it back on.
Most vehicles like Ford have a Max Idle Setting for 30 minutes within the vehicle. This CAN be turned off if you wish.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A 2014 mazda 3. It was pretty new at the time and ran very quietly. We were in a busy, noisy lot and I was in a hurry. We parked and I never noticed it was still running. It sat there running the whole time. The sale guy told me the thought someone could just drive away and the only thing that would happen would be that they couldn't re start it if they shut it off. Dunno if that is exactly true, never tried to find out. I'm happier with keys.
Sponsored