First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can I do this? My chances of this happening are soooo slim and even if this modification is made, there is no guarantees that you will not still have a engine fire (which in the case of a new car you hope that whole damn thing goes up in smoke ) I can live with a hole in the aero panel under the engine but the louvers where designed to help Ford achieve a EPA mileage claim. If the missing louvers effect the overall gas mileage then I am getting screwed on that.
”maybe old Billie was right, lets kill all the lawyers, kill`em tonight” D Henley…..
Sponsored

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can I do this? My chances of this happening are soooo slim and even if this modification is made, there is no guarantees that you will not still have a engine fire (which in the case of a new car you hope that whole damn thing goes up in smoke ) I can live with a hole in the aero panel under the engine but the louvers where designed to help Ford achieve a EPA mileage claim. If the missing louvers effect the overall gas mileage then I am getting screwed on that.
”maybe old Billie was right, lets kill all the lawyers, kill`em tonight” D Henley…..
If you stop in at a dealership service department, they will see the open recall and offer it to you. If you decline, they note that on the work order. My concern would be if you can be liable if there ever is a fire for declining.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you stop in at a dealership service department, they will see the open recall and offer it to you. If you decline, they note that on the work order. My concern would be if you can be liable if there ever is a fire for declining.
I think you'd absolutely be liable if someone is hurt or killed in an incident caused or made worse by the fact that you intentionally ignored a recall. Why wouldn't you be?

But I agree that I don't think the dealership can just force it on you if you tell them not to.

I do also have minor concerns that removing a few of the shutters could negatively affect mileage

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You will not be able to transfer, sell or trade your vehicle with a known open recall. Fines are steep and federally regulated.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also you may have your liability insurance refuse to pay since you declined the recall and a claim is made. If insurance company finds out you declined recall they may cancel your policy before claim is made. Best to have recall done and trade in for vehicle that meets your needs

Sponsored

WatchYourSix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can only opt out of it if you haven't taken delivery. The dealership cannot sell you a vehicle with an open recall. So if you're still waiting for your Mav, no. If you already took delivery, you might as well just do it and save yourself the possibility of any grief later. Yes, there is a slim chance of your vehicle catching on fire but you'll be kicking yourself if it does happen to you and you didn't do the recall as you will be liable for the repair.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wouldn't think 2 shutters would cause that much of a drop in MPG. Those look to be about 10mm wide at most.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
No No No. Manufacturer defect that Ford refused to fix. The catastrophic engine failure and fire is their responsibility for not doing the proper repair to protect the passengers from the catastrophic event. I have seen several Lawyer websites chomping at the bit to try one of these cases.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can only opt out of it if you haven't taken delivery. The dealership cannot sell you a vehicle with an open recall. So if you're still waiting for your Mav, no. If you already took delivery, you might as well just do it and save yourself the possibility of any grief later. Yes, there is a slim chance of your vehicle catching on fire but you'll be kicking yourself if it does happen to you and you didn't do the recall as you will be liable for the repair.
The repair has absolutely nothing to do with the crankshaft failing and blown the engine shards into the truck cabin. You are not responsible for any manufacturer defects and cutting holes is not a repair for the initial problem. It's a cheap way to try and save the occupants from burning alive.

MtcARK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know what the big deal is about this. I am just going to let Ford do the work and then I will be done with it and I will not have to think about it anymore. I have absolutely no concerns about the engine. Anyway, if the engine is going to break it will happen in the first 36K and it will then be replaced under warranty. At that point, I would have a brand new engine.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You will not be able to transfer, sell or trade your vehicle with a known open recall. Fines are steep and federally regulated.
That's not an issue at the private level. Dealers need to check that recalls are completed at resale, but even then it's not like it'll tank a trade in estimation since warranty work is free.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know what the big deal is about this. I am just going to let Ford do the work and then I will be done with it and I will not have to think about it anymore. I have absolutely no concerns about the engine. Anyway, if the engine is going to break it will happen in the first 36K and it will then be replaced under warranty. At that point, I would have a brand new engine.
Used engine or rebuilt.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Those shutters are there to maintain proper engine temperature, removing a bit of them may cause the engine to take more time to warm up properly in cold weather, it may make a slight difference in fuel economy at that time.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's not an issue at the private level. Dealers need to check that recalls are completed at resale, but even then it's not like it'll tank a trade in estimation since warranty work is free.
A lot of people with R models with the Volvo airbag recalls tend to opt out, too because of the loss of the "R" emblem on the airbag. Selling to a dealer can get you out because they'll have to do the recall to resell, but you leave yourself open to legal trouble if you sell privately and it's the cause of injury (IF they can prove you were aware of the recall). You just have to make sure to have the recall completed before selling.
Sponsored