First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
500 mile oil change on my Maverick 2.0 AWD, nothing fancy about my video just thought some may appreciate knowing the process without the FX4 package.

I understand Blakes cars has the FX4 video out, just thought I'd post a quick video on the subject hoping to help someone out. In no means am I a professional Youtuber, my first and probably last video. I did not see any oil change videos so thought I would put one out hoping to help someone out.

Took me 1.5 hours to do due to not having any videos for references other than the FX4 video from Blake on YouTube. As well as not having any lifts so crawling underneath was a tad cumbersome to say the least.

I changed it at 500 miles hoping to get rid of any metal debris in oil, I will be doing at 1500 miles as well and then call it good from there and do the normal mileage intervals. The oil did look like alien blood as some other people mentioned, greenish hue. I did not see any visible metal flakes, I just wanted to be cautious. If you find my video unhelpful or not in depth enough, I hope someone can cover it better for you.

For reference, here's Blake's oil change video on Maverick with FX4 package.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
Thanks for the video. I plan on doing an oil change on my eco boost Maverick at 500 miles too.
Thankfully, I have a hoist. 🥳
I bought one when I retired. 25 years of wrenching while lying on a cold cement floor was enough for me.

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting! good job!

OP
OP
Chrysler

Chrysler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For future oil changes you may want to invest in an oil filter wrench set. I've owned a set for a number of years and have found them to be very useful.
Here's an example on Amazon:
oil filter wrench set
Thank you for the input, I am sure it would be a life saver, did ask for one for Xmas.... Hate to say I didn't get the cheapest gift I asked for, but I didn't get the cheapest gift I asked for😁.

Sponsored

Td14782

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick 2019 Ram 2009 suzuki equator,2008 pl
500 mile oil change on my Maverick 2.0 AWD, nothing fancy about my video just thought some may appreciate knowing the process without the FX4 package.

I understand Blakes cars has the FX4 video out, just thought I'd post a quick video on the subject hoping to help someone out. In no means am I a professional Youtuber, my first and probably last video. I did not see any oil change videos so thought I would put one out hoping to help someone out.

Took me 1.5 hours to do due to not having any videos for references other than the FX4 video from Blake on YouTube. As well as not having any lifts so crawling underneath was a tad cumbersome to say the least.

I changed it at 500 miles hoping to get rid of any metal debris in oil, I will be doing at 1500 miles as well and then call it good from there and do the normal mileage intervals. The oil did look like alien blood as some other people mentioned, greenish hue. I did not see any visible metal flakes, I just wanted to be cautious. If you find my video unhelpful or not in depth enough, I hope someone can cover it better for you.

For reference, here's Blake's oil change video on Maverick with FX4 package.

You do have a oil filter that catches the very fine metal particles your engine is steady making over its entire life 500 and 1500 miles is practice only

OP
OP
Chrysler

Chrysler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You do have a oil filter that catches the very fine metal particles your engine is steady making over its entire life 500 and 1500 miles is practice only
I can't say you are wrong! It's a mixture of " it can't hurt" and " this is when a large amount of contamination of oil will occur". I get it occurs naturally in any engine with any mileage. I made the video because no one else put one online, my opinion on the mileage is to give my engine the best chance at a healthy life... Can't argue that. Best way to sum it up is probably -> It can't hurt, but probably won't make a big difference. I guess we will see when the crowd starts to post oil change results. I will be sending my oil in and getting it analyzed just to see.

JohnnyBravo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
225,000 mi. Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m really interested in a remote filter setup. Anyone know of anything like that? Also, in the past ,I have drained fresh oil after 500 miles but ran a magnet through the new oil catch pan and put the oil back in. The only bad stuff suspended in the oil will stick to the magnet. checking the magnet will verify if there is any metal.

Davidc83

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Dang, an hour and a half....is it really that complicated (admit I havent watched the video yet). Takes me 10 minutes to change the oil in my Toyota Prius C...just did it this past weekend.

I have one of these oil filter wrenches to loosen my oil filters...works on my Prius, the wife's truck and 2 of my 3 motorcycles. Works great-the more you umph to turn the wrench, the more it grips the oil filter..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Adjustable-Filter-Wrench-63-5mm-98mm-Model-4209/55524390

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
Dang, an hour and a half....is it really that complicated (admit I havent watched the video yet). Takes me 10 minutes to change the oil in my Toyota Prius C...just did it this past weekend.

I have one of these oil filter wrenches to loosen my oil filters...works on my Prius, the wife's truck and 2 of my 3 motorcycles. Works great-the more you umph to turn the wrench, the more it grips the oil filter..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Adjustable-Filter-Wrench-63-5mm-98mm-Model-4209/55524390
I also have one of these, along with my oil filter wrench kit. I use mine when I have a filter that is an odd size and I'm unable to use my oil filter wrench kit.
The only downside is you can't 'snug-up' the oil filter with this wrench (at least I haven't figured out how).
There's no such thing as too many tools. (y)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chrysler

Chrysler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m really interested in a remote filter setup. Anyone know of anything like that? Also, in the past ,I have drained fresh oil after 500 miles but ran a magnet through the new oil catch pan and put the oil back in. The only bad stuff suspended in the oil will stick to the magnet. checking the magnet will verify if there is any metal.
That's a pretty neat idea, I am going to be doing an oil analysis to see what kind of oil they put in/ what's in it after 500 miles. Never seen oil green. And it was more syrupy then the 5w30 I put in, both oils were in a garage during the cold snap. Kinda interesting to see the truck oil run more thick especially after it ran in last 12 hours. Wonder if they put thicker oil in or just have a lot of natural stuff vs full synthetic oil, that might make it less slick, not sure.

Yeah it took an hour and a half for a few reasons....
1. No videos to watch process, so I was very methodical. Sorta looking around like " is this the bolt I take off?"
2. Walking back and forth to tool box to try different torx bits, wrenches for bottom fabric sheet and nuts.
3. Then a half hour to let the syrup thick green alien oil to drain in the -5°F garage.
4. I did not have truck on a lift or even a jack when I started. So crawling under was cumbersome. **After I put oil in, I backed truck out and put on 2 wheel stands and it took 5 minutes max to put cover back under the engine. Vs 20 minutes to crawl under and remove with no instructions or knowing what bolts ect when I started. *My garage floor was icy and snowy, so I didn't want stands or jacks to slip*, after oil change I toweled the area stands would be and felt better about being under it. Safety first!
5. I was filming as I went, so lots of start n stopping. Total it took 4 hours for filming, oil change, editing. Basically editing video and filming and laying out parts and re shooting scenes till I got what I wanted out of it. It will not take you 1.5 hours to do it, knowing the process I'd call it an honest 45 minute job, from start to finish, with allowing oil to stop dripping before calling it good. I'm sure you'll do just fine! I won't say my video is amazing, but I just thought I would take the time to hopefully help someone at least have an idea on it.

wiredotaku05

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ranger 5 speed
From what I'm hearing, this is your first time doing an oil change? I recommend next time you let the engine warm up a bit and the oil won't take 30 min to drain. More like 30 seconds hah. Also there's only 1 drain plug and its always on the oil pan in my experience.

OP
OP
Chrysler

Chrysler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From what I'm hearing, this is your first time doing an oil change? I recommend next time you let the engine warm up a bit and the oil won't take 30 min to drain. More like 30 seconds hah. Also there's only 1 drain plug and its always on the oil pan in my experience.
Well... First oil change with the Maverick. I have had a 3 cars prior. Just traded in my Chrysler 200 3.6 before this and with 6 quarts of oil it always seemed to take forever to let it get to the drips spacing out about 5-10 seconds... Regardless if warm or cold. So when I did the oil change on the Maverick I just took my time and really over looked everything a little too much. I've never owned a new vehicle let alone my family... Things like putting ramps up to make things easier crossed my mind, but with icy floors and then the oil pan would be at angle so not all oil would come out I didn't do that. Just little things that would speed up process I decided not to do. I'm a nursing student, I graduated my LPN this fall and am in for my RN... I understand basics of cars, but I feel we all can look under a new car the first time and at least look around a little before turning that nut to empty the oil. My day job is taking care of catheters, medication regiments ect, not going on a truck page and showing everyone how brilliant I am with a car ( I'm sure that part is obvious). I had a old High School buddy that emptied his transmission fluid by accident once, so I always over emphasize an oil pan when I'm under a vehicle and think of him. I can say without a doubt my next oil change will take 45 minutes. I just took my time and enjoyed the process. I treat it like a hobby, I enjoy working on cars; I just usually don't know what I'm doing unless a YouTube video pops up prior.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well... First oil change with the Maverick. I have had a 3 cars prior. Just traded in my Chrysler 200 3.6 before this and with 6 quarts of oil it always seemed to take forever to let it get to the drips spacing out about 5-10 seconds... Regardless if warm or cold. So when I did the oil change on the Maverick I just took my time and really over looked everything a little too much. I've never owned a new vehicle let alone my family... Things like putting ramps up to make things easier crossed my mind, but with icy floors and then the oil pan would be at angle so not all oil would come out I didn't do that. Just little things that would speed up process I decided not to do. I'm a nursing student, I graduated my LPN this fall and am in for my RN... I understand basics of cars, but I feel we all can look under a new car the first time and at least look around a little before turning that nut to empty the oil. My day job is taking care of catheters, medication regiments ect, not going on a truck page and showing everyone how brilliant I am with a car ( I'm sure that part is obvious). I had a old High School buddy that emptied his transmission fluid by accident once, so I always over emphasize an oil pan when I'm under a vehicle and think of him. I can say without a doubt my next oil change will take 45 minutes. I just took my time and enjoyed the process. I treat it like a hobby, I enjoy working on cars; I just usually don't know what I'm doing unless a YouTube video pops up prior.
I for one, really like you commentary - insight on "looking it over" and obviously avoiding errors... while many folks on this site are accustomed to this type of maintenance work, some folks are not... Final comments - I typically have a local GoodYear shop do my oil changes - lower back issues etc. make it nearly impossible for me to get down and maneuver. I am purchasing the FE AWD and now after viewing your video and the comments regarding the protector plate - my concern will be regarding whether the service shop will complete the work - proficiently and replace all of the connector screws!?!?!

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cut Chrysler some slack. He was being cautious and took the time out to make a video for everyone in the hopes it’s help you out. I’ve been built race engines and have been in the automotive hardcore racing industry matching custom parts for 20+ yrs and I still take my time on a first oil change. Thanks Chrysler for your time, but if it still takes you 1hr next time, throw your tools in the trash lol. j/k
Sponsored