TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im well aware of the difference between direct and port injection for fuel washing valves. My comment was about the contents of the catch can. If its mostly fuel and water then you may as well just let it flow through the intake/valves and burn it off in the engine.
One argument for a catch can is it keeps the “stuff” out of the intercooler.
Sponsored

BobR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux FWD, Maverick XLT AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 30k on my 2022 with Ecoboost.
I have my own shop and lift and did my first Mobil 1 oil change at 1000 miles and noticed that it was not only pretty dark but thin and already had a gas smell to it.
I have been changing it every 4,000 miles because I am OCD and it's only 35$ for the oil and filter. Even though I am only putting 4k in each change it comes out very dirty and gassy.
I am aware of how dirty these GDI engines are and have taken precautions. I only run the best fuel and have decarbonized the engine before each oil change at 10,000 mile increments with CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner.
I do live in Florida and the heat here is really tough on oil.
She is running great and I have not had the first problem with my Maverick.

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Hey guys,

Thought some people might be interested in my Blackstone results for engine oil.

I did the initial oil change at 1000 Miles and then did an oil change at 5000 miles (so 4000 miles on oil) oil sample on the 5000 mile oil change.

Tons of mountain driving on this oil cycle.

I run a catch can on this truck by the way, and I empty it everytime I put gas in the car. A weird water/fuel/oil mixture.

I will most likely do 4000-5000 mile oil changes from here on out.

Screenshot_20230327_221949.jpg

you need to go a lot lower than that. with your driving I'd say change the oil every 1k miles at MOST. If it was me I'd say 500. Oil's cheap, your engine isn't. use only snythetic and do it right.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the J&L catch can on my 2.0. While it does collect some, its not much. It looks like over creamed coffee and smells heavy of fuel. I've never had the catch can full. I just hit 10,000 miles on mine.
I'm curious about why you felt it necessary to add a second catch can. There is already a well-designed one on the engine, so I would not expect your second can to actually pick up much at all.

SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious about why you felt it necessary to add a second catch can. There is already a well-designed one on the engine, so I would not expect your second can to actually pick up much at all.
I am not aware of a catch can from the factory on a 2.0 Ecoboost.

Sponsored

CanadaGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canyon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

you need to go a lot lower than that. with your driving I'd say change the oil every 1k miles at MOST. If it was me I'd say 500. Oil's cheap, your engine isn't. use only snythetic and do it right.
Change oil every 500 miles?!

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also won't run anything less than synthetic oil on a boosted engine. It costs $89 for a Valvoline synthetic oil and filter change at the Econolube or at Midas - the lowest-price shops in my area. The average North American travels about 12k/year, so at 500 miles/change, that's 24 oil changes/year, or $2136/year before sales taxes. A new crate engine is about $10k plus about $800 to install it, so its more expensive to do your 500 mile oil changes than blowing your engine up every 5 years. The average vehicle lifetime in North America is 13 years, and truck owners might even double that. I could replace my engine with a totally new one between 3 and 6 times for the cost of your extremely short oil change intervals.

40caliber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
forty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If it was me I'd say 500. Oil's cheap, your engine isn't. use only snythetic and do it right.
[/QUOTE]
Better flush the coolant and tranny also every 500!!!

SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If it was me I'd say 500. Oil's cheap, your engine isn't. use only snythetic and do it right.
Better flush the coolant and tranny also every 500!!!
[/QUOTE]
and the differential for those that have one, and Oh yes do not forget the uber important Blinker fluid

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I run strictly all natural, locally sourced coconut oil that I change daily. Twice a day if driving more than 10 miles.
Sponsored