First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick, '05 Lexus ES330
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious why you would want a sliding window in the back glass. I know that back in my younger days they were used to talk to the people riding in the bed, but what are they used for today?
Sponsored

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Airflow mostly. Obviously not a mandatory option but nice to have when you want it

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. They're great for helping air flow / vent the cab, especially if you drive with your side windows down. Also, it's helps to cut down on the "Buffeting" that sometimes happens with the side windows down.

2. on some trucks, you can put longer items through there from the bed. This is so you can keep the bed closed. But on the Maverick, the window is very small, and it has no metal frame around the window, so anything you put through there will be resting on glass. Not a good idea for this truck.

3. It's GREAT for filling up the cab with dirt and leaves from the bed, as the wind from driving will circle back around and blow everything lightweight and loose back into the cab. So, if you have leaves in your bad, leave the window up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

UrbanDweller

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick, '05 Lexus ES330
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not to be obtuse, but is there some reason it helps for ventilation on trucks, but is not needed on cars? Something to do with the glass being a vertical plane instead of curved and slanted?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Engine
Undecided
2. on some trucks, you can put longer items through there from the bed. This is so you can keep the bed closed. But on the Maverick, the window is very small, and it has no metal frame around the window, so anything you put through there will be resting on glass. Not a good idea for this truck.
Do this all the time in my F-150 but you're right, the Maverick window frame is less sturdy, so probably wouldn't load a bunch of 2x4's. But I think a few pieces of 10' PVC pipe would be fine.

Esteban88

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback, Maverick XL hybrid (ordered)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The rear window was the only option I wanted. For some reason I was required to order Copilot 360 along with it on the 2023 XL. My girlfriend's dog requested the window.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Perfect for hauling a long piece of trim, extra ventilation, doggie window for them to put their head out of, and also for if using a camper like the new GFC you can keep your fridge/freezer on the back seat and access through the back window. (Heat/AC too with a small fan)

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sometimes we do things because we've always done things. There is technically no reason for a physical gear shifter nowadays but a lot of people still like to have one.

holy triumvirate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not to be obtuse, but is there some reason it helps for ventilation on trucks, but is not needed on cars? Something to do with the glass being a vertical plane instead of curved and slanted?
It's not that it's not needed on cars; it's just more accessible (in terms of opening and closing) on trucks. This isn't especially true anymore since most trucks these days are quad cabs. Back in the day on normal, single cab trucks, it was just over the driver's right shoulder. It provides a nice cross-wind with other windows open. It's probably something you have to experience to appreciate. It was also an easy way to break into your own car when you accidentally locked the keys in. A great feature on my 98 ranger.

I love the sliding back glass in trucks but wasn't willing to get copilot 360 on the Maverick to make it happen.

Speaking of cool truck features, I wish they'd bring back the mini quarter windows that rotate out. Most probably used them for smoking, but they were a great vent option.

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It allows you to moderate a "light breeze" feel when you have the front windows down slightly. It literally changes WHERE the air moves around. I've been in cars where when you roll the windows down slightly, the wind would just hit the top of your head irritatingly. The rear window (and the sun roof in vent position) helps regulate WHERE that breeze cuts through the cab. Many people use AC all the time because their experience with windows was bad at some point. Even when it's considered hot outside, the right airflow can make you comfortable without having the resort to AC. ... Sometimes, it just feels like you are inside a hair dryer at which point, AC is definitely a good idea.

Begin the debate on AC vs. windows at different speeds for efficiency. LOL

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got one for dog, venting hot truck and provide wind flow passage with other window slightly down to avoid wind buffering. But No, No & has own wind buffering on its own ( bad ) so No.
Only use left is to pass the 120v AC from optional inverter. Haven’t tried that.

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bet there is also an aerodynamic reason. The shape of a trucks cab creates a pocket of air behind the cab, while the smooth laminar flow over the roof of the car does not.
Sponsored