Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I carry a little EarthX Portable LiFePo4 Jump Pack. It's both smaller and lighter than the jumper cables it replaced. I've successfully jump-started a 360 cubic-inch airplane engine, a John Deere diesel tractor, numerous gas-engined cars, the 10 KW whole-house generator at my previous residence, and even the 6+ liter diesel engine in a Chevy HD pickup. It fits in any one of several storage areas in the Maverick. I have a reminder on my calendar to recharge it every six months or so, and it takes only a few minute to get back to a full charge. Amazing devices...
Sponsored

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The sliding rear window is there because it is best way to get exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment. My parents 1966 Country Squire did it better. Just a little whiff of nostalgia.

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First, what a stupid thing to say we no longer need windows to roll down. Ok, I guess you never plan on going through a drive through, never getting stopped by police, never have to go through a security check point, never have to punch in a code to enter a gated community, have never had a vehicle with a broken or inoperable A/C, never had a kid about to throw up in your car and about 20 other things. Good idea fairy you are not.

As to the sliding rear window, I use it a bunch more than I thought I would. I like to put the moon roof in vent setting and open it up, especially when it's cool out but the pickup is warm. It was also nice to do that on a long car trip to alternate from the A/C.

holy triumvirate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have time to go into it, but the police already knows whose car it is. Car and phone manufacturers just need to make a way to transfer information to the police who is driving. Apple was already trying to include drivers licenses in their wallet app. All you need is a way for the police to talk through the car's existing audio system and the only thing physically required is looking through the window to verify the driver.

It can be done. It would take effort to pull off, but it can be done.
Yeah, no thanks.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If your a windows up person, you probably don’t need it. You’ll probably hate it if you never open your windows and I’m talking all the way open, not just people that drive with them partially cracked for 5 seconds to let heat out. In my truck if a small vehicle maintains the right distance behind me, the frame for the sliding window completely blocks them out of sight in the rear view mirror so it can impact rear visibility noticeably and that’s still with a Broadway clip on wide view mirror too.

If you have a sunroof...you need it. The buffeting with the windows down and sunroof open is considerable and unpleasant without the rear slider window open. With that rear slider window open, it’s bliss at least below 60mph from my experience. I enjoy cruising around with the windows open/sunroof open and find the Maverick comfortable at in town/rural suburban speeds like this. The hassle of the rear window is 100% worth it for this and plus, it helps keep the heat down in the cab as well in the summer I found leaving it open but the other windows shut when running errands.
I've never owned a truck before so this is very helpful information for me. I'm a 100% windows down person and never use A/C. 70 degrees? Windows down. 95 degrees with 80% humidity? Also windows down and moonroof open. I only use A/C if a hot an raining days so that I don't get the interior soaking wet.
Anyway, pretty much the only option I didn't had to my Maverick order was the rear sliding window so I need to call the dealership tomorrow to have them add it. If the buffeting is that bad then I'll be miserable.

Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've never owned a truck before so this is very helpful information for me. I'm a 100% windows down person and never use A/C. 70 degrees? Windows down. 95 degrees with 80% humidity? Also windows down and moonroof open. I only use A/C if a hot an raining days so that I don't get the interior soaking wet.
Anyway, pretty much the only option I didn't had to my Maverick order was the rear sliding window so I need to call the dealership tomorrow to have them add it. If the buffeting is that bad then I'll be miserable.
Oh yep it’s definitely worth it. I’ve actually tried many different combination of leaving the windows partially open and sunroof open, it’s noisier this way rather than windows down, sunroof open and the rear slider open. The sunroof starts getting really noisy right at 40mph with everything else closed or partially open.

But all of them open, it’s a nice cruiser and very comfortable at least up to highway speeds. Most of the roads around me are 25-50mph rural and residential, with more driving in the 40-45mph range so it’s not just in town slow driving too. It’s quiet enough that I don’t feel the need to use the radio to drown out wind noise which is nice even cruising 45-50mph or slightly higher. I haven’t done 65+ with everything open yet though as usually for highway trips the rest of the family is in the truck and they don’t share the same enthusiasm for open air driving lol.

Also, the rear seatbelts in particular flap a bit. I use a rear seat cover and tuck them in behind it to stop that noise with the windows open.

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't have time to go into it, but the police already knows whose car it is. Car and phone manufacturers just need to make a way to transfer information to the police who is driving. Apple was already trying to include drivers licenses in their wallet app. All you need is a way for the police to talk through the car's existing audio system and the only thing physically required is looking through the window to verify the driver.

It can be done. It would take effort to pull off, but it can be done.
I won't go into it either but it's obvious you know nothing about police work.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh yep it’s definitely worth it. I’ve actually tried many different combination of leaving the windows partially open and sunroof open, it’s noisier this way rather than windows down, sunroof open and the rear slider open. The sunroof starts getting really noisy right at 40mph with everything else closed or partially open.
Yeah usually for most vehicles the general rule is that you have to have two things open to stop the buffeting. So I never open just the moonroof, usually the first thing I do is open both front windows and the moornroof.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Added ventilation for the dog. Same reason I always get sunroofs

bonus for the slider is occasionally it will save your azz carrying longer pieces of lumber.

I use it all the time. Power is way to go

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is an option if it was electric would have added. Manual no thanks.

Sponsored

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious why you would want a sliding window in the back glass. I know that back in my younger days they were used to talk to the people riding in the bed, but what are they used for today?
Ford Maverick Newbie Question About Trucks in General DogWindow

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What they don’t have power option anymore. ? Mine is power.
I had ordered an XLT. Manual in XL and XLT, Power in Lariat

Just looked a t 2023 order guide. XL and XLT still manual.

Power Lariat only

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I added a manual slider to my XlT order for various reasons, all of which I believe have been mentioned. One, I like a breeze, and having the windows down, sunroof wide open, and back window open is pure heaven for me. (No, I never owned a convertible). If it had been an option, I’d of bought a back window that goes completely up/down like a previous truck of mine.

Two, albeit this window opening looks very small, I use it on my current truck (not a Ford) to haul the occasional long board, pipe, etc, from the home center. I have also been known to do the opposite, meaning put something inside the cab (locked for greater security), but it needed to stick out the back window a little bit. I will say this—if I find an aftermarket rear slider with a larger opening, it will be going in.

Three, I use it as extra ventilation for the dog. I’ve also known people whom had toppers, with dogs in the back, and the slider allowed the dog to be “with” by being able to peek into the cab.

Four, I’ve had high quality fiberglass toppers with full weathertight seals around the back window, and the slider acts as kind of a pass-through (including for heat or air conditioning). The Maverick rear slider looks way too small to be used in this manner, not to mention I can’t sleep in a 4.5’ truck bed, so my truck will only get used for items 1 through 3.

I’ll admit, It’s not for everyone. A seamless back window looks fantastic, is not as likely to leak, and isn’t a potential target to pop a weak slider lock and break in. Since I won’t have my Maverick for a good long while (or ever), I can’t personally comment on how well it locks or not.

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious why you would want a sliding window in the back glass. I know that back in my younger days they were used to talk to the people riding in the bed, but what are they used for today?
So let me get this straight.

Now that you are older, you don't want to talk to the people riding in the bed anymore?
Sponsored