First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the Avalon 12/22/23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's what Ford.com/support came back with when I entered my VIN, vehicle built 4/19/2023:

Recalls
2023 Maverick
VIN:3FTTW8E32PRA37574

Ford Maverick New Maverick Recall: 2.5 Hybrid Engine Fire Hazard [Updated w/ Safety Recall Notice to Dealers] {filename}
Recalls *
You’re all set! There are no recalls for this vehicle.
Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I got the recall message in my Ford account. It says the recall is incomplete. What's that mean? Can I schedule an appointment with a dealer now?
No remedy available yet
Ford Maverick New Maverick Recall: 2.5 Hybrid Engine Fire Hazard [Updated w/ Safety Recall Notice to Dealers] IMG_1436

The way I read it is that they'll drill holes in the plate under the engine (the one that makes it difficult to change oil) to let the leaking fluids drain out - no fluids, no fire. :LOL:

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Here's what Ford.com/support came back with when I entered my VIN, vehicle built 4/19/2023:

Recalls
2023 Maverick
VIN:3FTTW8E32PRA37574

Ford Maverick New Maverick Recall: 2.5 Hybrid Engine Fire Hazard [Updated w/ Safety Recall Notice to Dealers] IMG_1436
Recalls *
You’re all set! There are no recalls for this vehicle.
Until the recall hits the NHTSA site, I don't trust that all the applicable vehicles are showing up on Ford's tracker.

Sponsored

Markii56

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the Avalon 12/22/23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Until the recall hits the NHTSA site, I don't trust that all the applicable vehicles are showing up on Ford's tracker.
As of 9:37 this evening, NHTSA shows the recall for the 2022 models, but NOT for the '23s. Since NHTSA creates and issues the recall, I don't see how Ford could know about a recall before the federal government does.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since NHTSA creates and issues the recall, I don't see how Ford could know about a recall before the federal government does.
Where did you ever get that idea? Automotive manufacturers typically voluntarily conduct recalls. There's no benefit in NHTSA blindsiding them, either. If they have concerns, they'll work with the manufacturer and only be the ones to make public statements if the manufacturer doesn't adequately address their concerns.

Initiated safety recalls require a manufacturer's action to announce and remedy the defects.
A recall is issued when a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a vehicle, equipment, car seat, or tire creates an unreasonable safety risk or fails to meet minimum safety standards. Most decisions to conduct a recall and remedy a safety defect are made voluntarily by manufacturers prior to any involvement by NHTSA.
Manufacturers are required to fix the problem by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund, or in rare cases repurchasing the vehicle.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Further, let's look at the text of 22S47, the recall that this thread is discussing, not the newer 23S27.

On May 4, 2022, an issue pertaining to 2.5L HEV and PHEV under hood fires was brought to Ford’s Critical Concern Review Group (CCRG) for review. From May 4-June 8, 2022, Ford’s Critical Concern Review Group (CCRG) data analysis revealed 19 field reports of under hood fire or smoke for 2.5L HEV/PHEV vehicles. These reports were reviewed at a June 8, 2022 meeting. On June 8, 2022, Ford’s CCRG initiated a stop ship and in-transit stop ship for all affected vehicles. Through the remainder of June 2022, Ford continued to research the concern to better understand the reports, trends amongst the reports, scope the population, and understand potential causal factors. As of June 22, 2022, Ford’s CCRG has identified 23 warranty and field reports globally of under hood fire or smoke on 2.5L HEV/PHEV engines after a suspected block or oil pan breach. The date range of identified reports is April 5, 2021 through May 19, 2022. Of the 23 reports, Ford’s CCRG has categorized the warranty and field reports as: nine describing under hood or vehicle fire, six reporting localized under hood melting, seven describing under hood smoke, and one that did not contain sufficient detail to characterize. The current global 2020-2022MY 2.5L HEV/PHEV rates amongst affected models for block or oil pan breach are 0.17 R/1000, of which 0.08 R/1000 include reports of under hood fire and/or smoke. Based on elevated occurrences of 2.5L HEV/PHEV under hood fires, the Ford’s CCRG and Technical Review Group recommended a safety recall for the affected vehicles. On June 29, 2022, Ford’s Field Review Committee reviewed the concern and approved a field action. Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition.
Note that it does not say "NHTSA became aware" or "NHTSA initiated this action".

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V484-6430.PDF

Last edited:

Markii56

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the Avalon 12/22/23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I stand corrected. And thanks for the Reader's Digest version...

Shelby1962

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many…
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How much of the shutter is supposed to be removed. I seen a few comments and pictures where a couple inches were removed from the passenger side . The Dealer removed the entire lower shutter on the passenger side and it doesn’t appear to close anymore.

sn00pyguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sn00pyguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Updated with recall notice:

Ford Maverick New Maverick Recall: 2.5 Hybrid Engine Fire Hazard [Updated w/ Safety Recall Notice to Dealers] {filename}

Just saw a new Maverick recall notice came out. https://www.newsmax.com/finance/str...threat-escape-maverick/2022/07/08/id/1077921/

The new recall covers certain 2020 through 2022 model year Ford Escape, Maverick and Lincoln Corsair vehicles with 2.5-liter Hybrid/Plug-In Hybrid engines. Ford said in the event of an engine failure, significant quantities of engine oil and fuel vapor may be released that could accumulate near ignition sources resulting in a potential under-hood fire.
So, this is OLD news or what?

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How much of the shutter is supposed to be removed. I seen a few comments and pictures where a couple inches were removed from the passenger side . The Dealer removed the entire lower shutter on the passenger side and it doesn’t appear to close anymore.
The second from the bottom shutter on both the lower and upper grille openings are completely removed (they just pop out)

OP
OP
mktmgrjrm

mktmgrjrm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, this is OLD news or what?
This was the original recall notice from last year - remedy was drilling holes in the bottom cover under the engine and removing some of the vanes in the grill. The new recall (23S27) seems to be a follow-on to it now that they've identified the potential cause of the engine failure.

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My notice arrived in the mail today ☹