First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just talked to my dealer about doing this recall fix. They stated they've already done one, and it was not a 30-minute procedure, but basically required two-plus hours and taking the whole front end off the truck. Experience with your dealer may vary. Just a heads up for anyone else hoping to get it done while they wait.
This seems to vary a lot between dealers.

Mine was done in 90 minutes from drive-in to drive-out. I don't know if they took the front end off, but I doubt it. Actual work time probably wasn't more than 60 minutes.
Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Updated with recall notice:

1657305038842-png.png

Just saw a new Maverick recall notice came out. https://www.newsmax.com/finance/str...threat-escape-maverick/2022/07/08/id/1077921/

The new recall covers certain 2020 through 2022 model year Ford Escape, Maverick and Lincoln Corsair vehicles with 2.5-liter Hybrid/Plug-In Hybrid engines. Ford said in the event of an engine failure, significant quantities of engine oil and fuel vapor may be released that could accumulate near ignition sources resulting in a potential under-hood fire.
Ford already took care of my Hybrid recall along with some other warranty issues, Drilled the holes under the hood and removed the bottom 4 shutters to help dissipate any heat buildup. In and out in one day!4

Penasco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Outback, 2005 Tundra DC
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I called to schedule the recall, my dealer's service department (El Cajon Ford) said they might need the truck for 2 days. When I said other owners had reported it was a max 3 hour job they said it was much more involved than that. I got the impression they hadn't done any yet.

BillR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did the procedure myself to our own Maverick and also a friends Maverick following the exact procedure on the link from Ford. So easy to reach though the grill and remove the appropriate shutters (which we saved) and adding the openings in the undercover below the engine was straight forward. Yes, I could have taken it to the dealer but actually enjoyed doing it. I called the dealer and was no problem doing it myself and they will validate it the next time it goes in for service. I would be interested to know if this procedure is done to the very recently manufactured Mavericks. Bill

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCMN-22V484-1315.pdf

Last edited:

Sponsored

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will be interesting to see how they "fix" the ones rolling off the assembly line.

BillR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too have already received in April the new Ford Maverick Hybrid so I likewise have concerns. It is bad enough to have engine failure close to home but more devastating when many miles from home and maybe in a different state. I am one of those persons who does not want a GDI engine and when I saw Ford was using the 2.5 L engine (very good past reliability) with sequential fuel injection I decided to purchase the Maverick. Below is a link to an article from Europe with the same warnings about the 2.5 L hybrid engine and I saw a similar article in South Africa. I think this engine is built in Spain and for certain Mexico so if there are some bad crankshafts are they all built in one location and then shipped to the other countries where the engine are manufactured. Difficult to think so but not sure. I was in the appliance repair business for many many years and saw similar things that when there is an issue the manufacture tries to find the simplest and cheapest way to address the issue. We usually buy Toyota hybrid vehicles, and when I saw Ford had a small hybrid pickup we decided to purchase since it is exactly the type of vehicle we wanted and needed. Interestingly our 2020 Toyota RAV4 has a "full" engine cover and shutters. Since we have owned several Toyota Hybrids they all have been excellent while knowing there are no "perfect" vehicles. I have been buying cars since 1962 and bought my first Ford in 2010 and it was a Ford Transit Connect built in Turkey and it was also a very good vehicle (no recalls) and had only a few small problems in the 11 years of ownership so that gave some confidence that the Maverick would be the same. Well it is beginning to seem otherwise. There seems to be more questions than answers to this recall. Note: A friend also purchased the Maverick hybrid so one day I downloaded the recall instructions from Ford and did the modifications myself which was quite simple. In ending I would share we do really like our Maverick Lariat Hybrid and for the price is very nice. The hybrid system works great while the braking is not quite as refined as the Rav4. What really surprised me is that the Maverick slightly betters the incredible high MPG of our Rav4 which I didn't think would be possible.

https://car-recalls.eu/ford-kuga-fire-risk-100000-hybrid/

Last edited:

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Below is a link to an article from Europe with the same warnings about the 2.5 L hybrid engine and I saw a similar article in South Africa. I think this engine is built in Spain and for certain Mexico so if there are some bad crankshafts are they all built in one location and then shipped to the other countries where the engine are manufactured. Difficult to think so but not sure. .......There seems to be more questions than answers to this recall.

https://car-recalls.eu/ford-kuga-fire-risk-100000-hybrid/
Some great detective work there BillR. The water surrounding this NHTSA Recall 22V484 is so muddy now it will take something a lot more definitive coming from Ford to clear the water. I won't hold my breath - the US is the most litigious country on earth and you know the Ford legal group is keeping a short leash what public statements are made. Eventually there'll be more clarity on what the real or imagined issue is, but it might be a while before Ford puts it in print.

Like you I found myself trying to dive into the minutiae of where exactly are the 2.5l engines made/assembled (if it's really an engine-only root problem). Chihuahua Mexico for sure (from Ford Corporate website). Valencia Spain? Maybe (Ford media site has a March 2021 article saying Valencia would be building the 2.5l engine sometime late 2022). Were the affected Kugas (aka Escape in US) assembled in Valencia with 2.5l engines shipped from Chihuahua? Who knows...

The linked article makes it sound like it's not really an engine problem per se with the Kuga (aka Escape in the US) but how the engine compartment was designed:
Ford Maverick New Maverick Recall: 2.5 Hybrid Engine Fire Hazard [Updated w/ Safety Recall Notice to Dealers] 1661352078806

Then I found another blurb on a fordownersclub website with a copy of a letter from Ford Europe mentioning engine connecting rods:
Ford Maverick New Maverick Recall: 2.5 Hybrid Engine Fire Hazard [Updated w/ Safety Recall Notice to Dealers] 1661352416153

Huh?

So come on Ford, tell US Maverick/Escape owners what's going on. Reputationally the longer this goes on (i.e. speculation on what the real problem is) the worse it is for you.

Reactions: Aza

BillR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks Probity for your kind comments. Just a thought but would be interesting to start comparing engine serial numbers since I think they are coded to show place of manufacture but may be wrong. In other words those in the states vs Europe and where they were made.

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Did the procedure myself to our own Maverick and also a friends Maverick following the exact procedure on the link from Ford. So easy to reach though the grill and remove the appropriate shutters (which we saved) and adding the openings in the undercover below the engine was straight forward. Yes, I could have taken it to the dealer but actually enjoyed doing it. I called the dealer and was no problem doing it myself and they will validate it the next time it goes in for service. I would be interested to know if this procedure is done to the very recently manufactured Mavericks. Bill

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCMN-22V484-1315.pdf
Not sure I want to attempt this myself, but appreciate you posting the instructions on what to do.

Sponsored

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will be interesting to see how they "fix" the ones rolling off the assembly line.
I would love to see a photo of a recently delivered 2023 under belly. Are they cutting holes at the factory or is it a whole new belly cover that has been machine cut not hacked up by a dealership.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I took delivery of mine oct 2022, it was updated cover from factory not a hack job at dealer

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I took delivery of mine oct 2022, it was updated cover from factory not a hack job at dealer
Hi OleFordGuy, would it be possible to upload a photo of your cover?

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi OleFordGuy, would it be possible to upload a photo of your cover?
There was a picture here somewhere in an earlier post showing the areas that tech are advised to cut out. But Ford will keep pounding you with recall notices if you don't get it done at the dealer, for free. Honestly, it seems like a dumb recall to me. I don't see any evidence of engine fires in the past year everyone's been talking about this and if the engine blew up, I'd rather the truck be a total loss than sit somewhere waiting for parts for 6 months. I'm curious how much removing the active grill shutters cuts down, mileage or forces the ice engine to run more and colder weather reducing fuel economy.
Sponsored