New CVT on the way?

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
One thing I dont like about the ecvt is the electric only reverse. I wonder if this discrete gear version will address that and add some type of geared reverse?
A traction motor moves the truck forward and the same traction motor moves the truck in reverse. What is the advantage of a "discrete gear version" reverse?
Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

From everything I've learned, these eCVT's are quite good and (in Toyotas) have proven themselves "bulletproof".
I still wouldn't want one in my personal vehicle though.
A conventional automatic puts a layer of separation between machine and driver, vis-a-vis feedback I mean. I would expect any kind of CVT to be even more so, but can't actually speak from personal experience.

I enjoy the exhilaration of driving, and the less isolated from the machine I can feel the better. I would liken this sense of 'Oneness with the machine' to that which you have riding a great horse.

I'll always prefer a manual transmission, but sadly they're an endangered species.
I believe it already is cheaper nd more efficient than a standard trans. And, it has a third of the parts
I totally understand and agree. I've kind of given up with my daily driver, we've gone over to the dark side with "modern" things. For fun I cheat death on my motorcycle and enjoy my old sports car. a '91 Miata.

TRQ427

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500 HD-97 CHEROKEE-69 427 BISCAYNE-MAYBE 2023 XL
You can't compare the CVT that was in your Subaru to the eCVT that Ford uses. Your subaru used a terribly unreliable system with "pulleys and a band" while the Ford uses a very robust planetary gear system.
I was ready to get my wife a low mile Outback, and started hearing bad feedback. Talking to a long time Subaru Service manger I've dealt with for years, he cautioned me on anything over 100K. Worst is, they are non serviceable , and he claimed near $8500 to replace,, yeow.

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The maverick hybrid already does simulated shifting in sport mode. I don't get a "decelerating" sound when I accelerate in the hybrid, and I'm not entirely sure what that would sound like. I can tell the engine is working harder when it's accelerating because it's louder. It's just linear without shift breaks.
It happened to me at highway speeds coming down a very long hill. I eased off the gas going by the sound of the motor. A normal trans would upshift but the motor sound would tell you if you were accelerating or decelerating by the pitch. In this case the pitch of the engine was slowing but the speedometer was increasing because the hill was adding enough energy while the CVT adjusted. It was very disconcerting.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... coming down a very long hill...
Do you have Hill Assist / Descent Control turned on? In Escape, it's a settings option. It will add regen braking up to the inverter capacity, then I think you'll engage the engine for braking - a Jake brake. Very effective, if loud.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have Hill Assist / Descent Control turned on? In Escape, it's a settings option. It will add regen braking up to the inverter capacity, then I think you'll engage the engine for braking - a Jake brake. Very effective, if loud.
This was years ago in a rental car. As I said, my experience is kind of dated. Hopefully things have improved.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had to have the cvt replaced in my Subaru at 90k miles so I don’t feel too confident in them
I change the oil in my Honda crv every 50k miles. Good to refresh additives, etc. Plan on 30k miles on hybrid first time over concern of heat generated by drive and generator motors in my ecvt. Will try to remember to ask for oil level check at each oil change.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've noticed multiple levels of engine brake noise. Someone, probably GPSman said that it would start engaging at, if I remember right, 70% HVB charge level probably to prevent overheating battery.

Ferdinand

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not jumping on any bandwagon…I’ve lived it for 8 years. They’re noisy, sluggish, unreliable, jerky…I can go on. I’m glad ford seems to have addressed some issues w them
Modern eCVT are excellent for daily driving plus saving gas. I currently drive a 2022 Toyota Sienna with an eCVT, and no noise at all, and extremely smooth.
My 2022 Mav should arrive next week. If you drive "conservatively", and want to save gas, this is the way to go. Ford covers this eCVT with an 80K miles warranty.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All the whining about "CVT" in this thread is irrelevant- Ford should NOT be calling it even an "eCVT" because it's not even related to CVTs. Completely different system.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All the whining about "CVT" in this thread is irrelevant- Ford should NOT be calling it even an "eCVT" because it's not even related to CVTs. Completely different system.
It's functionally a CVT - continuously variable transmission. It is able to dynamically change the shaft speed ratio of the ICE's power transmission to the final drive. Just because 'CVT' has developed bad PR doesn't change what it is.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can't compare the CVT that was in your Subaru to the eCVT that Ford uses. Your subaru used a terribly unreliable system with "pulleys and a band" while the Ford uses a very robust planetary gear system.
Actually Subaru is one of the better CVT's. Nissan? those with put a hurting on your wallet.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's functionally a CVT - continuously variable transmission. It is able to dynamically change the shaft speed ratio of the ICE's power transmission to the final drive. Just because 'CVT' has developed bad PR doesn't change what it is.
Even my salesman had no idea what an eCVT is, I had to educate him. The CVTs aren't new. My first exposure to them was as a Reeves variable speed drive on various machines. Not terribly efficient but works well. You'll find them on a lot of bigger band saws.
The eCVT is pretty amazing, it depends on processors and software and that electric motor but should be very reliable.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And which components are the same as the Mav hybrid?
Sponsored