First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there any advantage to this over a typical eCVT transmission, or is this a replacement for manuals?
I believe this is done to "fake" an automatic transmission. IMO, it ruins the benefits of a cvt. Instead of keeping you in the sweet spot rpm, they'll have the rpms move around to imitate an automatic. There are many who dislike cvt transmissions so they fake an automatic. Effectively ruining it for both camps.
Sponsored

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why change anything for reverse? Keep it simple, like it is now. How fast do you drive in reverse? Watch Weber auto videos and you will change your mind, I bet.
Yeah for the current application its probably fine, and I would guess most people dont even realize its electric only reverse. I have backed up heavy trailers on steep inclines with my truck and needed all the power I could get, but I look at the hybrid maverick as more of a prius with a bed, which isnt a bad thing for most people, just thinking ahead if they can get the system more robust to get the tow rating up on it.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah for the current application its probably fine, and I would guess most people dont even realize its electric only reverse. I have backed up heavy trailers on steep inclines with my truck and needed all the power I could get, but I look at the hybrid maverick as more of a prius with a bed, which isnt a bad thing for most people, just thinking ahead if they can get the system more robust to get the tow rating up on it.
There should be no issues backing up a trailer with the hybrid maverick:

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People comparing the Maverick's eCVT to CVT's of previous generations will find out that the patent is specifically for a controller to manually shift the transmission. This means the operator controls which gear is being used and all traditional CVT functions are not applicable.

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First CVT I had was in my Honda fit, it was weird at first but I grew to love it. Endless smooth rpms with 48 mpg. My next car was a Sonic, that automatic trans was terrible. The worst thing to kill a driving experience is a bad auto trans, my Avalanche would do VIOLENT downshifts with just me in it. By far the worst trans I ever had. My Mav shifts pretty well but I would have liked the CVT instead.

Sponsored

Jbuys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mazda 626, 05 Ford Escape 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not jumping on any bandwagon…I’ve lived it for 8 years. They’re noisy, sluggish, unreliable, jerky…I can go on. I’m glad ford seems to have addressed some issues w them
I love the E-CVT in my Hybrid Mav. Smooth, barely notice any noise, absolutely not lagging, jerky, or sluggish, just this morning I past two cars, put my foot down on the gas peddle and it just reeved up and went, super smooth. If you put the truck in Sport Mode it actually simulates shift points, pretty cool. And yes the Hybrid E-CVT is in no way related to the CVT's in Subaru's or Nissans. They are very much related to the Toyota Hybrid E-CVT's.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
Indeed it is done to 'fake' an automatic, or a 'tiptronic' paddle shifting automatic transmission. Likely this is being done for a future Mustang/sport hybrid. The patent doesn't have anything different from the current eCVT that ford/toyota/chrysler use, it is just a software/controller change to have the transmission emulate a automatic/manual.

I believe this is done to "fake" an automatic transmission. IMO, it ruins the benefits of a cvt. Instead of keeping you in the sweet spot rpm, they'll have the rpms move around to imitate an automatic. There are many who dislike cvt transmissions so they fake an automatic. Effectively ruining it for both camps.

Last edited:

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
The biggest issues with early Priuses is the fact that they had no provision to charge the HVB, or use the Motor to provide electrical power while in reverse. If you started a long/steep reverse while low on HVB charge you could stall out on a hill. I believe that the very early Ford Hybrid Escapes may have also been this way, but by the time the Ford Fusion Hybrid came around Ford/Toyota had already changed the eCVT so that reverse could be used while the engine was on, providing voltage for unlimited reverse. Given the sizing of the main traction motor, and the rather lackluster low RPM horsepower/torque of the Ecoboost, the Maverick hybrid may a stronger reverse than the Ecoboost.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Folks figured out the patent (just software) but not some other things. For the record...

CVTs are 19th century technology. If they worked, no one would have invented the planetary transmissions.

eCVT used here was patented in 1972, by TRW. They were a generation ahead of motor and battery technologies.
They should have just called it a PGT (Planetary Gear Transmission) and marketed it with a badass emblem of Atlas holding a gear shaped planet on his back
They called it an "automatic." GM's Hydra-matic was just a single planetary gearset, but with a clutch on the ring gear. Stopping the ring gear was a "shift." I suspect the torque converter was the real innovation.

Note that TRW's approach is unique in making the ring gear a driven component.
I have backed up heavy trailers on steep inclines with my truck and needed all the power I could get, but I look at the hybrid maverick as more of a prius with a bed,
Ford never made Prii. They were a slow car with weak motors. None of Ford's hybrids are.

Your Maverick has full torque available in reverse, but you can only drive 15 mph. Driving direction matters to motors as much as rotation direction, that is, not at all.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Folks figured out the patent (just software) but not some other things. For the record...

CVTs are 19th century technology. If they worked, no one would have invented the planetary transmissions.

eCVT used here was patented in 1972, by TRW. They were a generation ahead of motor and battery technologies.
They should have just called it a PGT (Planetary Gear Transmission) and marketed it with a badass emblem of Atlas holding a gear shaped planet on his back
They called it an "automatic." GM's Hydra-matic was just a single planetary gearset, but with a clutch on the ring gear. Stopping the ring gear was a "shift." I suspect the torque converter was the real innovation.

Note that TRW's approach is unique in making the ring gear a driven component.
I have backed up heavy trailers on steep inclines with my truck and needed all the power I could get, but I look at the hybrid maverick as more of a prius with a bed,
Ford never made Prii. They were a slow car with weak motors. None of Ford's hybrids are.

Your Maverick has full torque available in reverse, but you can only drive 15 mph. Driving direction matters to motors as much as rotation direction, that is, not at all.

docsmith1511

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT LUX velocity blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those original transaxles are not too much different then the one in the Maverick. Can you provide the mileage and maintenance you have done? Also is the high volt battery still kicking it?
I've lived on bases so I was always close to work, I'm a bit over 100k and it's been coast to coast 3 times and it has been in super hot areas as well as frigid New England. It also had some months where it wasn't driven due to work.

Honestly the only main I've done is oil change once a yr using semi synthetic. The battery is still doing it's thing, I can't coast quite as far on just battery than I used too but not much of a difference. Temp definitely drops the mpg, I see a 2 mpg difference under 50degrees or so. The only gripe that I have is when the CVT is cold, it's response is delayed on take offs. I'm really hoping the ecvt fixes that.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
This is likely more to do with the HVB than the eCVT itself. My 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with a NiMH HVB when cold has a noticeable delay when trying to accelerate from a stop sign/stop light that it doesn't have when warm. My wife's 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid with a Lithium Ion HVB doesn't have the same issue.

NiMH batteries and Lithium Ion have a pretty severe drop off in available voltage/amperage as well as their ability to take a charge as their temperature drops under 40-50 degrees F. The NiMH battery though is much larger than the Lithium Ion of the same KW rating, and takes much longer to come up to temperature (especially in the Fusion hybrids where the batteries are heated/cooled via air exhange). I've noticed that I don't start getting good electric only available power out of my 2010 fusion until 20-30 minutes of drive time on cold days. The 2018 fusion starts allowing full electric power after 10-15 minutes of drive time on comparable days.

I've lived on bases so I was always close to work, I'm a bit over 100k and it's been coast to coast 3 times and it has been in super hot areas as well as frigid New England. It also had some months where it wasn't driven due to work.

Honestly the only main I've done is oil change once a yr using semi synthetic. The battery is still doing it's thing, I can't coast quite as far on just battery than I used too but not much of a difference. Temp definitely drops the mpg, I see a 2 mpg difference under 50degrees or so. The only gripe that I have is when the CVT is cold, it's response is delayed on take offs. I'm really hoping the ecvt fixes that.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
Not jumping on any bandwagon…I’ve lived it for 8 years. They’re noisy, sluggish, unreliable, jerky…I can go on. I’m glad ford seems to have addressed some issues w them
What vehicle did you live with for 8 years?
Sponsored