First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Adding artificial shift points to an eCVT is like adding artificial whip cracks to a horseless carriage.
Take a look at the 650 Suzuki Bermann maxi scooter….CVT with 5 or 6 “gears”, fully CVT, power CVT and eco CVT….all controlled by a left hand handle bar switch….a servo motor replaced one of centrifugal weight pulleys
Sponsored

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The eCVT has fixed gear ratios. It is much more like an electric car. The main electric motor turns the wheels through a fixed gear ratio.
There is also the engine turning a motor/generator through a different fixed gear ratio. This Motor/generator can help the main motor move the car or it can be used with the engine running to generate power to charge the high voltage battery.

The hybrid can get away with fixed gear ratios like an electric car can. The electric motors have high torque even at 0 rpm and can turn at very high rpm with little downside.

KenT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
manual vs automatic vs cvt vs ecvt planetary vs pure electric 2 pedal vs pure electric 1 pedal
And don’t forget dual-clutch transmissions, like used in VW and some Hyundai models, and which caused such problems for Ford in the Focus and Fiesta.

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My neighbor has a over 400 hp John Deere Ag tractor that has a CVT in it. He said he thought it did lose some pulling power, but ran around 30-40 cheaper. Had it 3 or 4 years now. Talk about torque.

Sponsored

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
Anyone have any input on why eCVT with discrete gear ratios would be beneficial over the current eCvt?
It would defeat the purpose of a variable transmission.

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And don’t forget dual-clutch transmissions, like used in VW and some Hyundai models, and which caused such problems for Ford in the Focus and Fiesta.
Can't forget there is wet and dry clutch DCT haha

GaryHoosier

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Maverick 2.0L XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It used to be manual vs automatic now you have manual vs automatic vs cvt. You can weigh the benefits of each of them forever, it's not going to change the fact that "feel" is important to almost everyone in regards to their vehicle and people stick to their preferences more than they stick to cold logic or efficiency.
From everything I've learned, these eCVT's are quite good and (in Toyotas) have proven themselves "bulletproof".
I still wouldn't want one in my personal vehicle though.
A conventional automatic puts a layer of separation between machine and driver, vis-a-vis feedback I mean. I would expect any kind of CVT to be even more so, but can't actually speak from personal experience.

I enjoy the exhilaration of driving, and the less isolated from the machine I can feel the better. I would liken this sense of 'Oneness with the machine' to that which you have riding a great horse.

I'll always prefer a manual transmission, but sadly they're an endangered species.

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Forester has over 150k and the cvt is still perfectly fine. I kinda noticed it the first few times we drove the vehicle, has felt completely normal since.
Thank you, SWM. I get miffed at folks who buy something advanced, then complain because it's not like the old version. Amazing. I could just hear them back in the late 1930's when automatic shift came out, "It works, but I don't have the clutch pedal to push anymore." WE had a saying in the Navy, "some people would bitch if you hung 'em with a new rope."

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have nothing against CVT's except you lose some feedback as to what your car is actually doing. The first time I drove one on a highway, as we were going down a long hill at highway speeds the sound of the motor was decreasing but the speed was actually increasing. So I thought I was slowing down when in fact I was speeding up. If they can get rid of that problem and make them cheaper and more efficient/economical than a standard trans I'd be fine with it in a daily driver.
I believe it already is cheaper nd more efficient than a standard trans. And, it has a third of the parts

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe it already is cheaper nd more efficient than a standard trans. And, it has a third of the parts
My experience is dated, but the issue where the car sounds like it's decelerating when it is accelerating is a deal breaker for me. Interesting that Ford just patented a CVT that mimics shifting so I can't be the only one who noticed.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My experience is dated, but the issue where the car sounds like it's decelerating when it is accelerating is a deal breaker for me. Interesting that Ford just patented a CVT that mimics shifting so I can't be the only one who noticed.
The maverick hybrid already does simulated shifting in sport mode. I don't get a "decelerating" sound when I accelerate in the hybrid, and I'm not entirely sure what that would sound like. I can tell the engine is working harder when it's accelerating because it's louder. It's just linear without shift breaks.

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never had a car that felt as competent when I step on the pedal. Some of the time, like going uphill on a freeway ramp, I can definitely hear and feel the gas engine, but it also feels like it's being assisted (which it probably is ;)). But other times, I'm not even sure the gas engine is on, but you can feel the torque. I absolutely love the eCVT, strange sounds?, and everything!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick xlt hybrid
Very true but still lacking compared to a “regular” auto
People and their biases are funny, and it's fine, we all have our preferences. But at this point CVT, if not already "regular", is on the verge. I've had 2 of them. The first one sucked (Toyota since refined it) and the current one is the best transmission/transaxle I've had spanning 16 cars over more years that I care to count.

The famed "rubber band" thing varies by brand and, over time, improving, just comes down to reconfiguring one's expectation of engine sound. Unless accelerating rapidly, my Kia has been programmed to sound like a 'regular' automatic as a response to that criticism. Otherwise, the newer tech CVT seem to have only advantages, from fuel economy, performance and longevity metrics.
Sponsored