thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Well, its hard for Ford to pay attention to something that was user error.

Im glad no one was hurt. It appears that a lot of people have commented on the warning signs. when was the last time you changed the oil, checked the oil, how many miles were on the truck, was your ecoboost fwd or awd.

Can you also shed light as to why you moved the truck multiple time and added a flammable substance to the mix.

I am interested to see what happened. I believe this to be a very isolated incident.
Sponsored

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

On May 24 around 2pm on a sunny day at San Bernardino my Maverick truck unexpectedly caught on fire and explodes after it was leaking oil in the engine area. My family and I narrowly escaped the smoked filled cabin. Being a 2021 build and one of the few first owner of my wonderful truck, I’m still is a dazed on why my truck did this. I never had any issues and my truck build and was very reliable.

On May 24 my truck started to smoke on a mountain pass and I pulled over and popped the hood open. Oil was dripping off the ceiling of the hood but it was a small amount. So I turned around and that’s when the check engine light started to blink. No warning of the truck dashboard was advertised but only the change oil soon did since it was due for an oil change. I made it to a gas station and the smoke was minimal so I purchase a couple quarts and filled one quart in. I keep a funnel in the cubbies space of the engine bay . (In the fender wall) . Drove the Maverick to an empty parking lot so I can get it towed due to the smoke was getting heavy. As I parked the Maverick the cabin was filled with smoke and that’s when we decided to bail out of the Maverick and that when we saw fire erupting out of the outside of the windshield . As we ran away from the burning Maverick it exploded 3 times.

Oddly after the event I found my funnel about 15 ft away of My Maverick , my prize and joy never had an issue. Why did this happened??? We would almost became the few first fatality of Ford Maverick wonder but unpredictable 2.0 eco boost truck. I’m lost in words regarding of the incident. Is this a serious issue that will soon follow for future Maverick owners ?!?

IMG_0002.png

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Well, its hard for Ford to pay attention to something that was user error.

Im glad no one was hurt. It appears that a lot of people have commented on the warning signs. when was the last time you changed the oil, checked the oil, how many miles were on the truck, was your ecoboost fwd or awd.

Can you also shed light as to why you moved the truck multiple time and added a flammable substance to the mix.

I am interested to see what happened. I believe this to be a very isolated incident.

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On May 24 around 2pm on a sunny day at San Bernardino my Maverick truck unexpectedly caught on fire and explodes after it was leaking oil in the engine area. My family and I narrowly escaped the smoked filled cabin. Being a 2021 build and one of the few first owner of my wonderful truck, I’m still is a dazed on why my truck did this. I never had any issues and my truck build and was very reliable.

On May 24 my truck started to smoke on a mountain pass and I pulled over and popped the hood open. Oil was dripping off the ceiling of the hood but it was a small amount. So I turned around and that’s when the check engine light started to blink. No warning of the truck dashboard was advertised but only the change oil soon did since it was due for an oil change. I made it to a gas station and the smoke was minimal so I purchase a couple quarts and filled one quart in. I keep a funnel in the cubbies space of the engine bay . (In the fender wall) . Drove the Maverick to an empty parking lot so I can get it towed due to the smoke was getting heavy. As I parked the Maverick the cabin was filled with smoke and that’s when we decided to bail out of the Maverick and that when we saw fire erupting out of the outside of the windshield . As we ran away from the burning Maverick it exploded 3 times.

Oddly after the event I found my funnel about 15 ft away of My Maverick , my prize and joy never had an issue. Why did this happened??? We would almost became the few first fatality of Ford Maverick wonder but unpredictable 2.0 eco boost truck. I’m lost in words regarding of the incident. Is this a serious issue that will soon follow for future Maverick owners ?!?

IMG_0002.png
Glad you're OK. Wow!

IGNIGNXKT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To the people blaming him cause he didn’t address the oil dripping from the hood may I ask….why should a new truck have oil dripping from the goddamned hood? This is revolting and yet another reason I’m considering cancelling my order. Between this and the steering wheel landing in peoples laps from minor rear fender benders I’m starting to wonder if this is something I want my family in.

Sponsored

Meverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To the people blaming him cause he didn’t address the oil dripping from the hood may I ask….why should a new truck have oil dripping from the goddamned hood?
A loose or missing oil fill cap will do it, among other things. Whatever caused the uncontained oil in the engine compartment merited investigation, cool down, and cleanup before adding more fuel to the fire or further operation.

Deleted member 23340

IMG_0002.png
On the bright side, it looks like you can still sell the back tires..

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
If you Google it, there are about 200,000 ICE engine fires each year just in the USA. I hate to figuratively pour gas on this fire, but I think it's a really powerful argument in favor of solid state BEVs, which should start arriving 2025 or 2026 (one Chinese OEM says 2024, and Toyota will be using them in hybrids in 2025).

Yes, the current generation of lithium ion batteries can burn, and intensely at that. Please read my posting again. I referred to solid state, not batteries with highly flammable liquid electrolytes.
To the people blaming him cause he didn’t address the oil dripping from the hood may I ask….why should a new truck have oil dripping from the goddamned hood? This is revolting and yet another reason I’m considering cancelling my order. Between this and the steering wheel landing in peoples laps from minor rear fender benders I’m starting to wonder if this is something I want my family in.
I think you should cancel.

TE37Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You’re completely missing the point. It could have been caused by anything from minor manufacturing defect to bad maintenance. Point is he should have never driven the truck after it was smoking and notice oil sprayed under the hood. Ultimately the fire is pretty much his fault for continued use in that situation.
It’s not an issue of multiple occurrences of trucks spraying oil and one eventually caught fire.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
A loose or missing oil fill cap will do it, among other things. Whatever caused the uncontained oil in the engine compartment merited investigation, cool down, and cleanup before adding more fuel to the fire or further operation.
Exactly, there a two camshafts and a timing chain spinning just under the valve cover. There is also, zero baffling under the oil filler cap. Add to this the comments about the funnel and it makes me wonder how many times it might have been used to add oil to the engine. Maybe the owner confused the No Cap fuel filler feature with the oil cap. There is a lot of oil slinging around on a DOHC cylinder head.

Sponsored

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i don’t recall receiving a letter for that issue? Very odd statement

IMG_0002.png
best thing you can do now is to delete this post,contact your insurance company and don't mention any of the details about how you found there was dripping oil, you then added oil, the check engine light Flashing (flashing is a big deal ), etc.

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You’re completely missing the point. It could have been caused by anything from minor manufacturing defect to bad maintenance. Point is he should have never driven the truck after it was smoking and notice oil sprayed under the hood. Ultimately the fire is pretty much his fault for continued use in that situation.
It’s not an issue of multiple occurrences of trucks spraying oil and one eventually caught fire.
yeah he should delete this post and not mention any of this to his insurance co

Reactions: Guv

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m not a lawyer but you should not have posted this without consulting one first.

On the other hand I am not Bob Barker, but do stupid things win stupid prizes.
yeah hopefully a delete button and he spared his insurance co the details...

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
yep - he might want to take a look at the engine before he contacts the insurance company and see if that cap is still on. But it is possible that if not that the cap flew off due to some internal engine pressure fault.....