Sponsored

My dad’s 2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid is totally dead. AGAIN….

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just got back from leaving my hybrid unused for 16 days, no problems on start up. I regularly leave it unused for 6 days without issues. It is a June 2023 build.

Reading all the comments over the past 2 years, it doesn't look like there is a design problem (although design could have been better to detect and react to the issue), but likely one of the following causes:
1) The 2022 wiring harness problem
There is a recall on this and anyone affected who hasn’t done it simply needs to get it done.
2) A fuse or connector seating issue
Some weak connection in a sensing line is preventing normal shutdown, which eventually leads to the protective shutdown. Finding and reseating that fuse or connector is the challenge, but I think Ford has a short list of suspects which informed dealers are checking.
3) A batch of defective original batteries
It’s not clear if some batteries were defective, or damaged by sitting around discharged in transit, or just a symptom of 1 or 2 above, but it seems to be the first “go to” for dealer fixes.

Clearly others, including me, are not having his problem, so it must be fixable. One needs to keep the pressure on the dealer and Ford customer service until it is resolved.

(One other point: Don’t know if this is related, but it goes without saying that all module software should be updated to the latest releases)
Sponsored

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When my 22 Hybrid starting doing this after the reprogramming recall, the dealer reset the battery charging parameters to above 90% . For some reason the charge point was around 45%

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On my 23 it was a dealer add on alarm. It could kill the battery overnight. Once it was disconnected all has been well.

ripperAZ

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MachE 2021 Genesis G90 2032 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 12v battery should have pretty light duty. I wouldn't expect it to take much to keep it topped off.
Not from what I’ve read if you start your car and don’t get in for a couple minutes it’s all running off the 12 V might turn on the AC might turn on your radio depending on how you left things if you get in the car at night and turn the lights on and don’t drive for a minute it can really deplete the 12 V. If you do a few of these things and then don’t go for a long ride it’s gonna tell you on FordPass you lost connectivity and you won’t be able to lock unlock or start your car from the app …the next thing it’s gonna happen in a couple days it’s gonna be deader than a door nail. The two batteries play off each other and you can easily deplete that 12 V. Quicker, if it’s colder.

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not from what I’ve read if you start your car and don’t get in for a couple minutes it’s all running off the 12 V might turn on the AC might turn on your radio depending on how you left things if you get in the car at night and turn the lights on and don’t drive for a minute it can really deplete the 12 V. If you do a few of these things and then don’t go for a long ride it’s gonna tell you on FordPass you lost connectivity and you won’t be able to lock unlock or start your car from the app …the next thing it’s gonna happen in a couple days it’s gonna be deader than a door nail. The two batteries play off each other and you can easily deplete that 12 V. Quicker, if it’s colder.
So if you are in the "ready" state in park the traction battery isn't keeping the 12v charged?

Sponsored

ripperAZ

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MachE 2021 Genesis G90 2032 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So if you are in the "ready" state in park the traction battery isn't keeping the 12v charged?
Yes, I was told most of the charging of the 12 V comes from the gasoline engine. It prevents heating up of the panels in the circuitry on both the 12 V and the hybrid battery. The battery management program kicks in and tells you that it’s getting low but it’s mostly SW controlled and you can feel the gasoline engine kick in at night when you have your lights and air conditioner on and it does like to have a good ride weekly or so from what I found

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, I was told most of the charging of the 12 V comes from the gasoline engine. It prevents heating up of the panels in the circuitry on both the 12 V and the hybrid battery. The battery management program kicks in and tells you that it’s getting low but it’s mostly SW controlled and you can feel the gasoline engine kick in at night when you have your lights and air conditioner on and it does like to have a good ride weekly or so from what I found
Where are you getting this info from? All of the charging of the 12v comes via the traction battery. Now perhaps there is something in place to not allow this to happen if the engine isn't running? This all seems very speculative.

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ripperAZ is incorrect here. If it's in "ready" then the HV contactor is closed and the DC/DC is outputting power.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Connect a Deltran Battery Tender Jr to the jump posts under the hood. Keep it plugged in when the truck is not in use. Problem solved,

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Connect a Deltran Battery Tender Jr to the jump posts under the hood. Keep it plugged in when the truck is not in use. Problem solved,
Now that may solve the problem BUT it shouldn't be needed. For me to run a extension cord and battery maintainer would be a major head ache. In the winter really not doable .

So far no issue. I let the mav sit for a week when I had nasty cold a few weeks ago and dome light didn't work when I first opened Mav. But after driving once then it did and has since . Tell tale sign of low battery no dome light.

Sponsored

greycat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they haven’t replace the wire harness that’s your problem
It's not "on you" when the dealer/recall fails. I scheduled and even went in for the replacement harness and the dealer had not received them yet. Nice of them to not verify availability. Still have not heard from them. Yet other dealers have replaced them.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they haven’t replace the wire harness that’s your problem
It's not "on you" when the dealer/recall fails. I scheduled and even went in for the replacement harness and the dealer had not received them yet. Nice of them to not verify availability. Still have not heard from them. Yet other dealers have replaced them.
Certainly isn't. My Maverick (Jan 2022 build) fell squarely in the affected date range, but two dealerships performed the TSB "shake test" on the harness and determined I didn't have the problem. Ford lurker account didn't help either. This whole notion of "simply take it to the dealer and they'll fix it" is a joke.

Last edited:

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dad just contacted me and said his maverick is totally dead again.
This is the 3/4th maybe 5th time now that has happened.
It’s been to the dealer multiple times and they every time ended up replacing parts/control module update/12v battery replacement.

She’s dead and won’t start again.
I feel bad for my dad. He’s really bummed out.
He loves his Maverick Hybrid but he’s also scared it’s going to leave him stranded.

has anyone else had multiple no start condition like this?
This is fake news. Because I keep reading on this site how it way more reliable than the ecoboost.
Sorry I couldn’t resist. Anyway it seems to happen a lot. Wish I could help
With the fix.

Car Nut

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Mavericks, 2015 Scion FRS, , 63 Lincoln, 85 Toy
Engine
Undecided
I have a 22 model year...hybrid XLT.
1. I've had an instance in which I left the rear seat interior light on by pushing up on it's lens. It does NOT then automatically shut off after leaving truck for a few minutes.
2. I had an instance in which I accidentally left one door only partially closed. Lights stay on indefinitely.
3. I had to jump start the vehicle in one of these above cases. I always keep a set of jumper cables under the rear seat. Luckily I had a 'lawn tractor' battery in my boat nearby. These are much cheaper than a vehicle battery. Why not have one in the truck until problems are surely resolved.
These can be had for as little as $20. to $35. Anything with 12 volts. Wallyworld your friend here.

Battery 'maintainer' can also be your friend if you need to park the vehicle for a while:

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...s/12v-automatic-battery-maintainer-59000.html
Sponsored

Last edited: