Sponsored

Maybe we have a kinship with Hyundai Santa Cruz owners?

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://www.compositesworld.com/new...m-thermoset-material-for-santa-cruz-truck-box

There's a lot of ignorance out there are about the materials and construction techniques used in modern vehicles. Adhesives can be stronger than welds. "Plastics" and composites can be stronger and lighter than steel. Most manufacturers are starting to move to superior non-steel materials and novel joining techniques. Because they're better in every possible way.

There was a funny series of OEM ads last year. Chevy put out ads targeting the Ford F150 aluminum truck bed because it dented. Then Honda made a laughing stock of Chevy by showing their composite Ridgeline bed outperforming the Chevy steel bed. Motto: "Be careful who you bark at because there's always a meaner dog around the corner."

If Ford ever offers a composite bed on the Maverick, that would give better performance, better fuel economy, probably better cost, and no need for bed liners. Duh. In 2022, a steel bed is the cheap, lazy, heavy answer.
Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in the "not a DCT fan" crowd. I actually owned one (Kia Soul turbo - loved that car). They are awesome 99.9% of the time - super fast and very economical. But they reward predictable driving, because that transmission computer is always trying to preselect the next gear change in anticipation of your next move (lots of DCT schematics out there for the curious).

I found that every blue moon I was wanting to pull out into a gap in traffic from a stop sign. But the transmission was in the wrong place and I had a critical half second or full second delay as it changed gears to where they needed to be. That can be scary if you're not prepared for it.

The DCT overheating issues are real, but only in severe conditions requiring a lot of clutch slippage (like hardcore off road use). I watched that TFL video (big fan of TFL - a fun site). That's why TFL decided not to turn their long term SC into an off roader - they knew it would be a disaster (those guys are hardcore off roaders). A lot of people are mystified why Kia-Hyundai sticks with the DCT on the turbo engine trims.

Bottom line - I put 60,000 miles on my DCT with zero issues. But there were maybe 5 moments when it scared the bejesus out of me. All my fault because I was trying to pull out into traffic in a scenario where I probably shouldn't have done that.

hellokitty1984

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why is it flawed, exactly? Having owned a few examples of Hyundai/Kia dry DCTs, they have been fantastic transmissions as long as they are driven appropriately. I don't do off-roading, of course. I am friends with a Kia master technician at a large volume dealer and apparently, by a large margin, their DCTs are the most reliable powertrain components they make.
On the pavement, DCT does very well. Off-road, it doesn't perform well. In fact, relatively poorly, as far as I've seen. It isn't something I'd risk.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I agree 100
I had an unexpected experience yesterday. I turbo blast up an onramp and get onto the US 101 Freeway on my way to my acupuncture appointment. It's one of those Freeway entrances where you get your own lane and do not need to merge. The Freeway is widened by your lane coming from that exit.

So I settle in for my drive, set the ACC for 65. And then I kinda notice a vehicle that was passing me in the next lane to the left suddenly slow and matches my speed. This actually happens daily, someone slows down to check out my brightly colored Maverick. Cyber Orange is a beacon notifying everyone around with sight there is Maverick in their vicinity.

I glance over and it is a Hyundai Santa Cruz. The guy looked so happy. He's waving hello at me! I waive back. He points at my Mav, gives a thumbs up. Then waives again. And then he resumed his speed and off he went.

It was a cool moment. I was happy for him, he was happy for me. No weird rivalry. In his mind, he probably was thinking we have cool similar vehicles that are currently rare. There was a kinship, for just a few seconds. It actually made my day.

So, it left me to think, with some of the poison I read on here about the SC, and SC owners, are we really all the different? Can't we all just get along?

It certainly has changed the way I will view the Santa Cruz and the people who buy them. Not everything needs to be a zero sum thing. Only one outcome is good or acceptable.

I am glad there is a Santa Cruz out there. I am glad there is choice. I am glad I met that guy for a quick moment at 65 MPH on the 101 on a boring Monday. I am glad I chose my Maverick. I am very glad for MTC and all of you. Well, most of you. :LOL:

IMG_20220208_091817.jpg

Not the actual SC I encountered. Just found an image online to help spruce up the post.
I agree 100%

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This was a great comment: " So, it left me to think, with some of the poison I read on here about the SC, and SC owners, are we really all the different? Can't we all just get along?"

I am amazed at the amount of anger that is prevalent at times on this blogging site - c'mon folks - life is full of differences, it is the great thing about life and living - our experiences vary, stories are varied, and life is just a great experience. (I have some opinions regarding some differences I absolutely do not agree with, however, if I can't find something good to say, I will keep it to myself. ... )
I have 1. Rapid Red First Edition 4k + 1. Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid + 1. Santa Cruz Limited - my overall favorite.

But I really do like the Mavericks for "what they are"... the SC wins out with better overall Tech, Safety and comfort; alas, all at the price of the premium co$t difference$.

And 2 are going to be sold off...

Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
https://www.compositesworld.com/new...m-thermoset-material-for-santa-cruz-truck-box

There's a lot of ignorance out there are about the materials and construction techniques used in modern vehicles. Adhesives can be stronger than welds. "Plastics" and composites can be stronger and lighter than steel. Most manufacturers are starting to move to superior non-steel materials and novel joining techniques. Because they're better in every possible way.

There was a funny series of OEM ads last year. Chevy put out ads targeting the Ford F150 aluminum truck bed because it dented. Then Honda made a laughing stock of Chevy by showing their composite Ridgeline bed outperforming the Chevy steel bed. Motto: "Be careful who you bark at because there's always a meaner dog around the corner."

If Ford ever offers a composite bed on the Maverick, that would give better performance, better fuel economy, probably better cost, and no need for bed liners. Duh. In 2022, a steel bed is the cheap, lazy, heavy answer.
Ford did offer a pickup with a composite bed - the Explorer Sport Trac. Not only weight saving but saved the need for a bed liner.

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Santa Cruz drivers are communists....

3rd Rule - Don't talk to Commies

Ford Maverick Maybe we have a kinship with Hyundai Santa Cruz owners? 1667924149227

ranger293

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Area 51 AWD turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had an unexpected experience yesterday. I turbo blast up an onramp and get onto the US 101 Freeway on my way to my acupuncture appointment. It's one of those Freeway entrances where you get your own lane and do not need to merge. The Freeway is widened by your lane coming from that exit.

So I settle in for my drive, set the ACC for 65. And then I kinda notice a vehicle that was passing me in the next lane to the left suddenly slow and matches my speed. This actually happens daily, someone slows down to check out my brightly colored Maverick. Cyber Orange is a beacon notifying everyone around with sight there is Maverick in their vicinity.

I glance over and it is a Hyundai Santa Cruz. The guy looked so happy. He's waving hello at me! I waive back. He points at my Mav, gives a thumbs up. Then waives again. And then he resumed his speed and off he went.

It was a cool moment. I was happy for him, he was happy for me. No weird rivalry. In his mind, he probably was thinking we have cool similar vehicles that are currently rare. There was a kinship, for just a few seconds. It actually made my day.

So, it left me to think, with some of the poison I read on here about the SC, and SC owners, are we really all the different? Can't we all just get along?

It certainly has changed the way I will view the Santa Cruz and the people who buy them. Not everything needs to be a zero sum thing. Only one outcome is good or acceptable.

I am glad there is a Santa Cruz out there. I am glad there is choice. I am glad I met that guy for a quick moment at 65 MPH on the 101 on a boring Monday. I am glad I chose my Maverick. I am very glad for MTC and all of you. Well, most of you. :LOL:

IMG_20220208_091817.jpg

Not the actual SC I encountered. Just found an image online to help spruce up the post.
As I said before. Competition is good for us all! It's what made America what it is today. Unfortunately, because of the narrow minded that feel that everyone should do it their way ( I should leave politics out of this); we get others ideas (what they want), because they get into a position of power. Hitler did the same thing. Thank God we were able to stop him. Unfortunately his premise lives on... I say diversity is what made America great, if we can keep it without all the internal strife we will continue to be great. Rome fell, and so many other powerful nations. We are doomed if we don't get our heads out of our butts! God Bless America!

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Santa Cruz drivers are communists....

3rd Rule - Don't talk to Commies

1667924149227.png
Maverick built n Mexico. Santa Crus designed in Caifornia and built in Alabama,,,and South Korea is not communist anything but...

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maverick built n Mexico. Santa Crus designed in Caifornia and built in Alabama,,,and South Korea is not communist anything but...
Designed in California you say….sounds pretty commie

(plus…this is the internet, just assume everything is a joke)

Sponsored

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Truck is supposed to look like a truck period.

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, ranger, mustang, maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had one behind me in traffic today. I didn't notice untill I had to slow for a red light and they did kind of a quick lane change so they could pull up even with my drivers side.

It looked good. I like the white better than the Grey one I see at work. If maverick wasn't on the market, I may have looked at them

The real kicker was their custom license plate.

Ford Maverick Maybe we have a kinship with Hyundai Santa Cruz owners? 20221206_143326

Ford Maverick Maybe we have a kinship with Hyundai Santa Cruz owners? 20221206_143341

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There can be no compromise. The santa cruz is just wrong and no amount of explaining will ever change that fact. By extension, people who buy the santa cruz have something wrong with them.

It's just a matter of time before the mental health industry steps up an creates programs to help these poor misguided individuals return to a normal life.

Oh and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, too.
And get off your lawn too. The SC just appeals to a different segment of the market; as I said before, it just does not look like a truck. OK it's wrong for me!!

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had one behind me in traffic today. I didn't notice untill I had to slow for a red light and they did kind of a quick lane change so they could pull up even with my drivers side.

It looked good. I like the white better than the Grey one I see at work. If maverick wasn't on the market, I may have looked at them

The real kicker was their custom license plate.

20221206_143326.jpg

20221206_143341.jpg
Its doesnt look remotely good even on a good day. You could not get me drunk and get me to like its looks. There isnt enough liquor you could give me to get my beer goggles on.
Sponsored