Sponsored

Who has been checking out my Maverick? Glad you asked!

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OK, this is not scientific by any stretch. But I have been keeping track of who has been checking out my Maverick. All the random people. Not the people I know. After every encounter, I log it in my phone in Evernote. Started about 2 weeks into owning my truck (around January 1st). I kept track until I finally hit 100 'check outs'. Here are the stats below, using percent. Which is exactly the same since the sample size is 100:

• Female 33%
  • Undetermined 12%
Where Encounter took Place:
  • On the Road 42%
  • Gas Station 28%
  • Parking Lots/Drive Thrus 25%
  • Other 5%
  • NOTE: Of all these, about 40% motioned for me to roll down my window (which I consider to be pretty assertive.)
What the encounter was driving:
  • Toyota Tacoma 21%
  • Ford F150 Family 18%
  • Any Subaru 13% (pretty evenly split)
  • Ford Ranger 10% (only 1 current generation)
  • Any Honda 9% (Ridgeline dominant)
  • Other Toyota products 8% (Prius dominant)
  • Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 5% (3 first generation, 2 second)
  • Other Ford Product 4% (C-Max, 2 Focus, Fusion)
  • Tesla 4% (all Model 3 or Y)
  • All others 8% (including 1 Bentley, 1 Police Cruiser, 2 Santa Cruzes)
Those I talked with more than a sentence, I asked how they were aware of the Maverick (21 people):
  • Follow Auto Magazines/Websites: 10 people
  • Wasn't actually aware of Maverick until they saw mine: 5 people
  • A friend/family member has one or ordered a Maverick: 4 people
  • Not sure: 2 people
Follow up question, I asked most I talked with:
  • Considered/considering a Maverick purchase: 15 people
  • Waiting on their Maverick: 5 people
Encounter Description (some of these may be multiple, so will be over 100%):
  • Full On Stare (involving at least a slow pass/stop/backup or lane change gawk) 50%
  • Engaged me verbally 43%
  • Asked if it was the "Hybrid?" or "How do I like my Hybrid?" 32% (which I don't have a Hybrid, LOL)
  • Asked some form of "Is that the new Maverick?" 30%
  • Thumbs up gesture 24%
  • Asked, "what is that?" 7%
  • Too long encounter/wished they would go away/Insta-friend 3%
What started me keeping track is it seemed like the first two weeks seemed to be Tacoma and Ranger dominated. And I wondered if it was fluke. I work in numbers, budgets, statistics. So I was intrigued. I was also shocked how few are in the All Others category. Seems like that should be 50%, with just the sheer numbers of vehicles on the road. But at least those with an interest or awareness of Maverick seems to heavily skew in my observation.

I only kept track of encounters from people I don't know and if I could determine what vehicle they were in. There were probably about another 2 dozen that I didn't track because they were pedestrians or other incomplete data. I had no negative encounters at all. No flip offs. No comments that it's not a real truck. Which I kind of expected. And I already wrote about a Santa Cruz encounter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jbill

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Ford Maverick
Awesome write up. I pickup my truck in a few weeks, expected delivery is March 7th. I'm curious how many looks or conversations it'll generate. I haven't seen any Mavericks in my area yet.

Last edited:

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OK, this is not scientific by any stretch. But I have been keeping track of who has been checking out my Maverick. All the random people. Not the people I know. After every encounter, I log it in my phone in Evernote. Started about 2 weeks into owning my truck (around January 1st). I kept track until I finally hit 100 'check outs'. Here are the stats below, using percent. Which is exactly the same since the sample size is 100:

• Female 33%
  • Undetermined 12%
  • On the Road 42%
  • Gas Station 28%
  • Other 5%
  • NOTE: Of all these, about 40% motioned for me to roll down my window (which I consider to be pretty assertive.)
  • Toyota Tacoma 21%
  • Ford F150 Family 18%
Those I talked with more than a sentence, I asked how they were aware of the Maverick (21 people):
  • Full On Stare (involving at least a slow pass/stop/backup or lane change gawk) 50%
  • Asked if it was the "Hybrid?" or "How do I like my Hybrid?" 32% (which I don't have a Hybrid, LOL)
  • Thumbs up gesture 24%
What started me keeping track is it seemed like the first two weeks seemed to be Tacoma and Ranger dominated. And I wondered if it was fluke. I work in numbers, budgets, statistics. So I was intrigued. I was also shocked how few are in the All Others category. Seems like that should be 50%, with just the sheer numbers of vehicles on the road. But at least those with an interest or awareness of Maverick seems to heavily skew. Most of the people I

I only kept track of encounters from people I know and if I could determine what vehicle they were in. There were probably about another 2 dozen that I didn't track because they were pedestrians or other incomplete data. I had no negative encounters at all. No flip offs. No comments that it's not a real truck. Which I kind of expected. And I already wrote about a Santa Cruz encounter.
That is interesting data!

NNJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix

• Female 33%
  • Undetermined 12%
  • On the Road 42%
  • Gas Station 28%
  • Other 5%
  • Toyota Tacoma 21%
  • Ford F150 Family 18%
  • Thumbs up gesture 24%
What started me keeping track is it seemed like the first two weeks seemed to be Tacoma and Ranger dominated. And I wondered if it was fluke. I work in numbers, budgets, statistics. So I was intrigued. I was also shocked how few are in the All Others category. Seems like that should be 50%, with just the sheer numbers of vehicles on the road. But at least those with an interest or awareness of Maverick seems to heavily skew. Most of the people I

I only kept track of encounters from people I know and if I could determine what vehicle they were in. There were probably about another 2 dozen that I didn't track because they were pedestrians or other incomplete data. I had no negative encounters at all. No flip offs. No comments that it's not a real truck. Which I kind of expected. And I already wrote about a Santa Cruz encounter.

• Female 33%
  • Undetermined 12%
  • On the Road 42%
  • Gas Station 28%
  • Other 5%
  • Toyota Tacoma 21%
  • Ford F150 Family 18%
  • Thumbs up gesture 24%

Sponsored

Vongreg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Camry, chevy 2500 HD, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like your survey. Only had one true one while I was pumping gas. Said he was trying to get his wife one. Pretty knowledgeable about the Mav.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How do you know they were checking out the Maverick and not you? :)

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How do you know they were checking out the Maverick and not you? :)
I have the physique and general appearance of someone who eats entirely too much fried chicken. Let's just say that the amount of people who slowed down and stared at me and checked me out went up 10,000% when I started driving my Maverick. And all the previous times, a finger was typically pointed up and facing my direction.

Ford Maverick Who has been checking out my Maverick?  Glad you asked! MrBean

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Like your survey. Only had one true one while I was pumping gas. Said he was trying to get his wife one. Pretty knowledgeable about the Mav.
The amount of people actually talking to me started slow, and grew throughout the past 2 months. It is getting much more common. I think though I have been more scanning around and watching people, making eye contact, than normal. Which makes me more approachable.

I am generally an introvert, so this has taken me stepping out a little more in the name of statistics. I don't want to talk to people. But I sure want to know what makes them tick. It's not a personable thing. It's analytical!

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am generally an introvert, so this has taken me stepping out a little more in the name of statistics. I don't want to talk to people. But I sure want to know what makes them tick. It's not a personable thing. It's analytical!
[/QUOTE]

You are describing me LOL!! I’m hoping when I get mine that nobody approaches me ☺

Sponsored

forvrknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I've only been approached twice so far. Once was loading stuff from Ikea and got nice truck! The other was someone asking if it had a 6 cylinder in it who funny enough was driving an F150.

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
I traded my 2021 Ranger for my Hybrid Maverick so I would be in that category. I also get approached at the gas pump, convenience store, Walmart, Lowes, work and random interstate gauks. Hell I got chased down the other day thought for sure I probably cut them off and was gonna get the finger but instead, got a thumbs up & huge smile. We had a salesman check in today to visit purchasing and he requested to meet the owner of that Maverick parked outside. He was so excited to see one in person, asked a million questions and said he wants one. Of course I showed it off & bragged just a teensy bit 😁. I haven't received a single negative response

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I do live in Western Washington. So this may be skewed locally. But that aside, sometimes it's hard to determine gender in a moving automobile. I didn't count vehicles with deeply tinted windows, unless I was absolutely able to determine from their behavior that they were checking out my Maverick. Not many like that, though. But they are marked undetermined.

Wmatto8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Probably hard to prove, but I'm assuming it has just as much to do with the fact that not only do you have a relatively rare and hard to obtain truck, but it's also in the rarest and most eye-catching color. I'd be inclined to stare at ANY bright orange vehicle to be honest.

I've had similar experiences as you and no negative encounters, but not nearly the amount you have. Probably due to my "rental car silver" XL trim with the stock steelies. I saw another Silver Mav driving the same direction as me on the interstate, and I almost didn't notice it in my mirror 'cause it just sort of "blended in" with all the other silver/grey vehicles.
Sponsored