Sponsored

Maybe we have a kinship with Hyundai Santa Cruz owners?

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had an unexpected experience yesterday. I turbo blast up an onramp and get onto the US 101 Freeway on my way to my acupuncture appointment. It's one of those Freeway entrances where you get your own lane and do not need to merge. The Freeway is widened by your lane coming from that exit.

So I settle in for my drive, set the ACC for 65. And then I kinda notice a vehicle that was passing me in the next lane to the left suddenly slow and matches my speed. This actually happens daily, someone slows down to check out my brightly colored Maverick. Cyber Orange is a beacon notifying everyone around with sight there is Maverick in their vicinity.

I glance over and it is a Hyundai Santa Cruz. The guy looked so happy. He's waving hello at me! I waive back. He points at my Mav, gives a thumbs up. Then waives again. And then he resumed his speed and off he went.

It was a cool moment. I was happy for him, he was happy for me. No weird rivalry. In his mind, he probably was thinking we have cool similar vehicles that are currently rare. There was a kinship, for just a few seconds. It actually made my day.

So, it left me to think, with some of the poison I read on here about the SC, and SC owners, are we really all the different? Can't we all just get along?

It certainly has changed the way I will view the Santa Cruz and the people who buy them. Not everything needs to be a zero sum thing. Only one outcome is good or acceptable.

I am glad there is a Santa Cruz out there. I am glad there is choice. I am glad I met that guy for a quick moment at 65 MPH on the 101 on a boring Monday. I am glad I chose my Maverick. I am very glad for MTC and all of you. Well, most of you. :LOL:

Ford Maverick Maybe we have a kinship with Hyundai Santa Cruz owners? IMG_20220208_091817

Not the actual SC I encountered. Just found an image online to help spruce up the post.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish that more people in the world thought this way. The truth is that more bonds us together than separates us--and the sooner that we recognize that, the better the world will be for everyone.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There can be no compromise. The santa cruz is just wrong and no amount of explaining will ever change that fact. By extension, people who buy the santa cruz have something wrong with them.

It's just a matter of time before the mental health industry steps up an creates programs to help these poor misguided individuals return to a normal life.

Oh and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, too.

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I agree with OP wholeheartedly. I'm glad there's choices for us here in the USA.

Now we just need to get the EcoBoost, Hybrid and trim-level folks to be slightly more open-minded. I read posts where folks state their trim-level or drivetrain is really the only correct answer because yada yada yada. To each his own, we all have different wants/needs: from a spartan utility trim to a heated leather and ACC trim. Make your choice and be happy we aren't all driving Daewoos and Yugos.

I'm just waiting to hopefully get my Maverick...sometime before Fall 2022.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Maybe we have a kinship with Hyundai Santa Cruz owners? 1644349624067

Sponsored

Lexx

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had an unexpected experience yesterday. I turbo blast up an onramp and get onto the US 101 Freeway on my way to my acupuncture appointment. It's one of those Freeway entrances where you get your own lane and do not need to merge. The Freeway is widened by your lane coming from that exit.

So I settle in for my drive, set the ACC for 65. And then I kinda notice a vehicle that was passing me in the next lane to the left suddenly slow and matches my speed. This actually happens daily, someone slows down to check out my brightly colored Maverick. Cyber Orange is a beacon notifying everyone around with sight there is Maverick in their vicinity.

I glance over and it is a Hyundai Santa Cruz. The guy looked so happy. He's waving hello at me! I waive back. He points at my Mav, gives a thumbs up. Then waives again. And then he resumed his speed and off he went.

It was a cool moment. I was happy for him, he was happy for me. No weird rivalry. In his mind, he probably was thinking we have cool similar vehicles that are currently rare. There was a kinship, for just a few seconds. It actually made my day.

So, it left me to think, with some of the poison I read on here about the SC, and SC owners, are we really all the different? Can't we all just get along?

It certainly has changed the way I will view the Santa Cruz and the people who buy them. Not everything needs to be a zero sum thing. Only one outcome is good or acceptable.

I am glad there is a Santa Cruz out there. I am glad there is choice. I am glad I met that guy for a quick moment at 65 MPH on the 101 on a boring Monday. I am glad I chose my Maverick. I am very glad for MTC and all of you. Well, most of you. :LOL:

IMG_20220208_091817.jpg

Not the actual SC I encountered. Just found an image online to help spruce up the post.
That was so cool

Lexx

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

IMG_20220208_091817.jpg

Also IMHO, the Santa Cruz really isn’t bad styling wise. I love the rear actually but I really wish a lot more thought went into giving the SC a distinctive character instead of making it look like a Tucson that went into surgery to have a butt. But all in all, that was a nice gesture and it could be we could be the beginning of a movement. 😂👊🏽

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_20220208_091817.jpg

This was a great comment: " So, it left me to think, with some of the poison I read on here about the SC, and SC owners, are we really all the different? Can't we all just get along?"

I am amazed at the amount of anger that is prevalent at times on this blogging site - c'mon folks - life is full of differences, it is the great thing about life and living - our experiences vary, stories are varied, and life is just a great experience. (I have some opinions regarding some differences I absolutely do not agree with, however, if I can't find something good to say, I will keep it to myself. ... )

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think its normal for people to try and justify their purchases, especially with something as expensive as a vehicle. I never really got someone taking another persons purchase personally though. My take is, once you get your vehicle (whatever it is), enjoy it!

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_20220208_091817.jpg

I will say that it's good the SC is out there as a choice, in fact I wish there were more choices out there. Since there's only the SC and Maverick to choose from I know looking at Maverick I made the right choice. Personally, the SC is too much like a car than a truck and I wanted a truck that looks like truck. Same goes for the interior, the SC is too car like for me. Feature wise the SC does have more features than Maverick, but it also comes with the higher price. With all that I'm glad the SC is there for the folks who want a car (again my opinion) that can do "truck" stuff. At some point Maverick is going to have more competition from the other car manufacturers then it will be interesting to see how much ❤ Maverick gets. I just think it's great that two people shared a moment of friendship-kinship because we certainly could use more of that in this world! ✌

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Feature wise the SC does have more features than Maverick, but it also comes with the higher price
You can build and price both cars between $25K and $35K. There really isn't a price difference unless you're looking at the cheapest Mav or the most expensive Santa Cruz.

I'm on the Santa Cruz forum too. It would be foolish to not cross shop the Mav and Santa Cruz. Don't let the shills on either forum make you think that one is great and the other is not. Truth is that, between the two vehicles, there is a trim/config that suits anyone's needs and budget.

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It was probably another MTC member that got tired of waiting...

stewpac15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I was initially much more excited for the santa cruz when I saw the 2 door version. It's still the closest thing to a holden ute that we have here. Also, seeing a santa cruz in person, I was put off by how big it looked, especially the front end...but...I'm glad it's here. Real glad

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've already practiced running them off the road and I don't even have my Mav.

/S
Sponsored