Rojo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT, Alto Blue, AWD Eco-Boost, Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford did so many things right with the Mav. It's a very practical, very affordable vehicle. The SC is kinda nice but it's base price is too high. Ford let people trade time for money with special orders to avoid markups.

And where else are you getting an AWD crew cab pickup with 250 hp for $25k?
Agreed, if Hyundai figures out how to drop the price about $4k it will be more of a contender. I doubt they will do that but they should.
Sponsored

Ion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm a non-truck person jumping on the boat. So in my case they're attracting people who would normally never look at a truck (or a Ford).

I was actually considering a Kia Soul before the Maverick. The Maverick is literally the only truck on the market that I'll consider...mostly because I'm price-sensitive, and I want a hybrid to help with the cost of gas.

I basically want a good-MPG vehicle that I can use to move (so semi-decent cargo space). Most trucks are way too big (I live in a city so I want to be able to park), too expensive, and have poor MPG compared to other vehicles.

The Maverick hits the sweet spot where the hybrid cancels out the MPG drop you usually see, and it's small, and has a good price, and it comes in yellow/orange which is just the cherry on the top because I hate dull-colored cars.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Santa Cruz comes out in a hybrid, I'd have to give it a serious look, particularly if it's price competitive to the MAV.
If it isn't the Santa Cruz it will eventually will another competitor. Ford if nothing else showed there is market for non traditional truck people in urban markets who want something with a truck or truck like bed that is functional for small scale stuff with the fuel economy to go along with it. A truck bed with built in "secure" tonneau cover is just as good as car trunk or SUV bed and more versatile. I'll even go as far as within 5 years if enough of these type of hybrid trucks or hybrid truck like SUV's come to market you'll see a big drop in SUV and small car sales as long as they can price these trucks in 20- 30k range or even cheaper variants under 20k.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm a non-truck person jumping on the boat. So in my case they're attracting people who would normally never look at a truck (or a Ford).

I was actually considering a Kia Soul before the Maverick. The Maverick is literally the only truck on the market that I'll consider...mostly because I'm price-sensitive, and I want a hybrid to help with the cost of gas.

I basically want a good-MPG vehicle that I can use to move (so semi-decent cargo space). Most trucks are way too big (I live in a city so I want to be able to park), too expensive, and have poor MPG compared to other vehicles.

The Maverick hits the sweet spot where the hybrid cancels out the MPG drop you usually see, and it's small, and has a good price, and it comes in yellow/orange which is just the cherry on the top because I hate dull-colored cars.
Realistically the best forward case scenario with what we have now for "green" purposes is running existing ice engines at their most efficient point on the power curve by supplementing then with other power sources like electric batteries or hydrogen fuel cells aka hybrids. You eliminate that gas engine it actually uses more fuel and and creates more pollution aka diesel or natural gas to generate the same amount of energy produced to charge an all electric vehicle than run the same amount energy on a hybrid 87 octane / lithium battery pack in a hybrid.

Last edited:

Rojo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT, Alto Blue, AWD Eco-Boost, Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe it based on some of the conversations on here.
Yeah, I've had a car the last 17 years, this is the first truck I've owned since high school when my parents let me drive their old chevy around.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Realistically the best forward case scenario with what we have now for "green" purposes is running existing ice engines at their most efficient point on the power curve by supplementing then with other power sources like electric batteries or hydrogen fuel cells aka hybrids. You eliminate that gas engine it actually uses more fuel and and creates more pollution aka diesel or natural gas to generate the same amount of energy produced to charge an all electric vehicle than run the same amount energy on a hybrid 87 octane / lithium battery pack in a hybrid.
Hybrids will be the norm if success in the market place decides what survives and what does not. When government props up their favorite mode of transport, things get jacked up. Let the people decide.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hybrids will be the norm if success in the market place decides what survives and what does not. When government props up their favorite mode of transport, things get jacked up. Let the people decide.
That assumes the government doesn't interferes with incentives to drive the market in the direction they want.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And actually starts putting some ads out there. I still feel like I belong to some secret club. Nobody knows what I am talking about when I tell them I finally got a build date 11 months after I ordered a hybrid pick up truck for only $20,000. Once Ford starts running ads during college and pro football games, Yellowstone, Chicago PD,etc., they won’t be able to keep up with demand. Oh wait…

Yeah, it is like when the PT Cruiser first came out. They made tons of ads that never ran because the demand was so high.

Sponsored

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not surprising at all.

https://tfltruck.com/2022/08/july-2022-sales-report-small-trucks-ford-maverick-hyundai-santa-cruz/

Last month, Ford dealers shifted 6,720 Mavericks . In fact, it outsold the larger Ranger by 70%, and it was nearly as possible as the closely related Bronco Sport SUV. Hyundai, for its part, moved 2,801 Santa Cruzes.

Zooming out to the year-to-date sales, we see a similar picture play out through July 2022. The Ford Maverick sold 45,473 examples, per Ford’s latest sales release. The Hyundai? More like 21,004 trucks.
So the maverick has doubled the sales of cruz .. no suprise . Maverick has no competitor in its class … which isn’t great ….

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never had a pickup and never really considered one before the Maverick.
Likewise. Maverick XL Hybrid was a no brainer. Liked the idea of a small truck, but the lousy mileage killed it, until now…

Even that ‘73 Mustang shown is a 250 6, not a V8. I never like to buy more than is needed. Tends to be a waste.

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Santa Cruz comes out in a hybrid, I'd have to give it a serious look, particularly if it's price competitive to the MAV.
I agree. Hyundai-Kia has well established hybrid , plug-in and full electric offer for many of its vehicles. question of time…
probably their price will stay higher than the maverick as they may not seek a bare bone pricing.
The other day saw how the 2023 colorado uses the partially tilted solution for the tailgate…add that to the offering to hyundai too…

JoeJoe311

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Veloster N, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the fuel economy is in line with most other SUVs. I can’t get past owning a Hyundai 🤢
What about a Hyundai are you against? My Veloster N has been the most fun and exciting vehicle I've owned.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What about a Hyundai are you against? My Veloster N has been the most fun and exciting vehicle I've owned.

Hyundai has gotten very good in recent years, but I think many people still have issues stemming from how terrible they were in the beginning. I was interested in the Kona N, but wasn't willing to spend that much money on any car.
Sponsored