2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm not about to switch teams myself, but I have a standing agreement with a friend with a Santa Cruz, that as soon as my Mav comes in we'll trade keys and test drive each other's vehicle. I'm in the minority in that I LIKE the look of the Santa Cruz, but I still don't want to own one, wouldn't trade my Mav hybrid MPG for two Santa Cruz's. That said, still looking forward to the test drive.
Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To the OP - I'd advise you to go with the one that pulls you emotionally. One nice thing now is that dealers have at least a few of both models on the lots - so go test drive them. And be aware of the various trims and engines available so you drive the one that appeals to you. My favorite trim in the SC is the SEL non turbo, because it actually costs a hair less (after dealer discounts) when configured apples-to-apples like my AWD XLT LUX CP360 Maverick. And because it has a conventional automatic.

But it's all about which one makes you feel good, not me, and certainly not anyone else on this forum.

One bit of money advice... There's a lot of crowing on this forum about inflated Maverick resale values right now. Be cautious before you buy into that, because it's likely to be a temporary phenomenon. Mavericks are being built and sold to fleets in large numbers (I see fleet Mavericks daily here in WNC), which means that those fleet cars will appear on the used market in a few years - which usually means lower resale values. I don't know that, but it's a typical supply and demand outcome. And it probably doesn't apply to Mav hybrids, which are still a steal (not as much of a steal as before, but still a steal). And also don't forget that 10 year Hyundai warranty if you plan on owning it more than 3 years.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They are very different and they both have pro's and cons, just figure out what fits what you need better. I personally like the Santa Cruz, and if it was a little roomier or had a Hybrid I might be more interested in it but for me if I had the chance to get a Maverick I would personally be more interested in it.

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

To the OP - I'd advise you to go with the one that pulls you emotionally. One nice thing now is that dealers have at least a few of both models on the lots - so go test drive them. And be aware of the various trims and engines available so you drive the one that appeals to you. My favorite trim in the SC is the SEL non turbo, because it actually costs a hair less (after dealer discounts) when configured apples-to-apples like my AWD XLT LUX CP360 Maverick. And because it has a conventional automatic.

But it's all about which one makes you feel good, not me, and certainly not anyone else on this forum.

One bit of money advice... There's a lot of crowing on this forum about inflated Maverick resale values right now. Be cautious before you buy into that, because it's likely to be a temporary phenomenon. Mavericks are being built and sold to fleets in large numbers (I see fleet Mavericks daily here in WNC), which means that those fleet cars will appear on the used market in a few years - which usually means lower resale values. I don't know that, but it's a typical supply and demand outcome. And it probably doesn't apply to Mav hybrids, which are still a steal (not as much of a steal as before, but still a steal). And also don't forget that 10 year Hyundai warranty if you plan on owning it more than 3 years.
Do remember that the SC comes in FWD and AWD when comparing apples to apples. The SE is like the XL, SEL is like the XLT and the SEL Premium is like the Lariat, the SEL Limited really has no Mav counterpart. Then there is the Night and XRT versions which are mostly just trim stuff. There really is no Tremor counterpart and of course no hybrid. The 2.5T really changes the SC, it's fast and with the handling is fun to drive, if it was a Mazda I would say it was Zoom Zoom. The Mav is really more of a traditional truck and can be had in hybrid so if that's what you are looking for then the Mav will probably be your choice. It's really comes down to packaging and the market.

TNFurb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco Sport OB ‘24 Mav Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the SC had a hybrid version there is a good chance I would have gone that route given the supply constraints on the Maverick. I like the looks of both vehicles, they’re just two very different vehicles to me. I consider the SC to be a sporty crossover that happens to have an open bed. I consider the Maverick to be a small truck.

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's a real mystery to me why Hyundai didn't do a hybrid or BEV version of the SC. They have all that stuff on the shelf. My wild guess is that they anticipated super low demand and didn't want to invest the money. But that is totally a WAG.

UrbanDweller

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick, '05 Lexus ES330
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As someone who owns both I can say that in some areas the Mav blows away the SC and in other ways the SC is far superior. Neither is perfect, and neither is a bad choice.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Different strokes for different folks. Your money … your choice. Plain and simple

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://www.autoblog.com/2024/01/26/hyundai-santa-cruz-spy-photos-light-refresh-update/

Looks like a SC 2025 refresh is imminent. Probably one for the 2025 Maverick too. I think the article got it wrong about the transmission, because Hyundai is moving other vehicles off of the DCT and onto a conventional transmission. My main reason for not buying a SC - you had to take the DCT with the turbo, and I previously owned and disliked the Kia DCT. Looks like they'll tone down that front end to avoid antagonizing all the conservative (in terms of styling, not politics) buyers out there.

Whether you love or hate the SC. Whether you love or hate the Maverick. The 2025 competitive refreshes of both will be interesting. Ford and Hyundai both listen to customers and adjust their offerings. But what will each company prioritize in their refreshes? We'll know later this year, when the 2025 refreshes are unveiled for all to see.

The-X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't like the loamy curves on it or the cheese-grater front myself. I've known some people with kias/hyundais merely years old and they leak oil already. One being the SUV the SC is based on.

Aside from aesthetics, there's some good points to the hyundai like mentioned but the beds are virtually identically sized aside from the hyundai's curvy bits obstructing part of the bed access.

It's hard to judge reliability too much other than by brand and the engines. I'd have liked a v6 option for the maverick, but that might be an impossible dream.
Sponsored