Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sure Hyundai's were pretty terrible when the Excels hit the U.S. back in the late 80's. They had a Mitsubishi 1.5L motor in them. But then again, Chryslers K-cars of the same time were nothing to brag about. In the past 10 years Hyundais/Kias have really improved quite a bit. Hyundai/Kia have some of the most innovative interior and exterior designs now, especially at thier price point.
Sponsored

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My last two vehicles were Hyundais. Both Tucsons. One was a used 2007, the other a new 2019. Both were great cars. I'd probably still have the 19 and would have it for many more years if the Maverick hadn't come along.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sure Hyundai's were pretty terrible when the Excels hit the U.S. back in the late 80's. They had a Mitsubishi 1.5L motor in them. But then again, Chryslers K-cars of the same time were nothing to brag about. In the past 10 years Hyundais/Kias have really improved quite a bit. Hyundai/Kia have some of the most innovative interior and exterior designs now, especially at thier price point.
For most of their vehicles I agree . Just not going pay 42k for turbo and leather seats and questionable leg room . No 4x4 , no hybrid options . You can get lesser version or get maverick Eco with leather seats for less . Hard hill to climb for the cruz

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
I've seen more SCs in the wild than Mavericks. The Santa Cruzes don't look entirely bad, but they're not a direct competitor- price point and "lifestyle" are different.
I've only seen Santa Cruzes. I actively scan the road for Mavericks each time I drive. Still not seen one in the wild which seems crazy to me considering how many have supposedly sold.

I live in big truck territory though the kind of place where most trucks won't fit in their country lanes properly.

I like the look of the SC, but price and MPG make the Maverick the clear winner in my books.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
I believe it based on some of the conversations on here.
I'm a car owner. Had a Ford Ranger in the 90's, but I refuse to pay a lot for a car/truck so when trucks all became so big and expensive I switched over to driving a car.

Back in the 90's trucks were cheaper than cars but Truck and SUV culture took off and it was a race to the biggest most expensive thing people could build.

A lot of would be truck buyers can't priced out of what was ironically becoming a status symbol segment.

I'm thrilled there is a cheap truck available again. (And rule of life... Smaller the vehicle, typically the more fun it is to drive).

Sponsored

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
What about a Hyundai are you against? My Veloster N has been the most fun and exciting vehicle I've owned.

I'm very nervous about Hyundai because my wife's last vehicle was a Kia van and it was absolutely awful with reliability issues. From what I understand Kia and Hyundai,.it's the interior quality that is improved in the Hyundai but the power train and mechanics are the same.

If I don't get a Maverick, I am considering a Hyundai sedan, but I have a lot of trepidation about it because of how our previous Kia burnt us. I will probably spend a few K more to get a Honda or Toyota if Maverick gets priced out of my range for 2023.

I know a lot of people love their Kias and Hyundai's and don't have problems... But it's hard to go back if you've been burnt by bad reliability in one.

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm very nervous about Hyundai because my wife's last vehicle was a Kia van and it was absolutely awful with reliability issues. From what I understand Kia and Hyundai,.it's the interior quality that is improved in the Hyundai but the power train and mechanics are the same.

If I don't get a Maverick, I am considering a Hyundai sedan, but I have a lot of trepidation about it because of how our previous Kia burnt us. I will probably spend a few K more to get a Honda or Toyota if Maverick gets priced out of my range for 2023.

I know a lot of people love their Kias and Hyundai's and don't have problems... But it's hard to go back if you've been burnt by bad reliability in one.
If you going to put 200+ K miles on it get the Honda-Toyota!
If your just going to sell it after a few years, get the Honda/Toyata!

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
If you going to put 200+ K miles on it get the Honda-Toyota!
If your just going to sell it after a few years, get the Honda/Toyata!
I absolutely intend to put 200k on whatever I get next. I've never sold or retired a vehicle with less. (Except my old small cab Ranger when I had a baby to transport that wouldn't fit).

I think I am leaning more toward Civic or Corolla manual transmission hatchback if I can't get my Maverick because of price or build time going to be too long. Still hope to get a Maverick though, that's my first choice... But the uncertainty of when we can order (and assuming it will be 12 months order to delivery) and uncertainty of the price is making me consider other options more again.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I absolutely intend to put 200k on whatever I get next. I've never sold or retired a vehicle with less. (Except my old small cab Ranger when I had a baby to transport that wouldn't fit).

I think I am leaning more toward Civic or Corolla manual transmission hatchback if I can't get my Maverick because of price or build time going to be too long. Still hope to get a Maverick though, that's my first choice... But the uncertainty of when we can order (and assuming it will be 12 months order to delivery) and uncertainty of the price is making me consider other options more again.
GR Corolla.. honestly I'm still figuring out how I can have both in my driveway.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
GR Corolla.. honestly I'm still figuring out how I can have both in my driveway.
I would definitely love one, but they're estimated the cheapest one will be about $35k, so in a different price bracket to the regular Corolla and Maverick.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AutobahnSHO

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Hyundai/ Kia talk cracks me up- same happened with Honda/Toyota 40 years ago. Started as "budget" car makers, morphed into better quality in not much time.

Makes me wonder how Mitsubishi hasn't been able to get a decent image.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would definitely love one, but they're estimated the cheapest one will be about $35k, so in a different price bracket to the regular Corolla and Maverick.
I'm actually a huge fan of the regular Corolla hatch. That was what I was initially going to get, but the Maverick checked every want I had except for a manual transmission.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The thing about car reliability is it's a backwards looking thing. With the sole exception of Toyota, it rarely predicts the present or the future very well. As a Boomer, most of my contemporaries love to boast about Honda quality. Thing is, Honda quality really dropped worldwide for the last two decades - to the point where the CEO of Honda got on a podium and promised to do better. So much for popular myths.

Hyundai and Kia were garbage back in the 80s. Forget all that now. They rank near the top of the industry - well above Ford. In fact, for you hardcore fanboys, the Ford CEO recently stated the one thing that was killing the company was warranty charges for poor quality. That was earlier this year I think.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/ford-needs-to-focus-on-curbing-warranty-costs-ceo-jim-farley-says/

I trust Farley and his team are working on this. Based on the Maverick and Bronco rollouts, it's not going so well so far.

OP
OP
AutobahnSHO

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone remember about hearing about carb adjustments? It used to be that 'quality' was a different perception than nowadays.

New car buyers now take the car back to the dealer for squeaks or rattles which were just part of driving cars long ago, for example. Motors running to 100,000miles without an overhaul is a relatively new(er) luxury. ......

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Hyundai/ Kia talk cracks me up- same happened with Honda/Toyota 40 years ago. Started as "budget" car makers, morphed into better quality in not much time.

Makes me wonder how Mitsubishi hasn't been able to get a decent image.
its shame their truck got cut , Its sold everywhere else in the world but here.
Sponsored