First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Santa Cruz really isn't a bad vehicle, it's a very comfortable and capable truck and yes the looks are a little polarizing ibut there are other vehicles with questionable looks that sell well.

I think where Hyundai really missed the mark with the Santa Cruz is with fuel efficiency. People are looking for fuel efficient vehicles more than ever and the Santa Cruz gas mileage is no better than a midsize truck. Meanwhile the Maverick Ecoboost easily beats the SC in fuel efficiency and the Maverick Hybrid mpg rating destroys the SC's mpg rating. Most people looking for a small truck or any smaller vehicle are doing so, at least in part, for better fuel economy. If Hyundai could rush a new powertrain with much better fuel economy into the SC I think they'd easily sell a lot more than they are currently.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Mc_Flier

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Maverick Hybrid, Street Glide Special
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Santa Cruz really isn't a bad vehicle, it's a very comfortable and capable truck and yes the looks are a little polarizing ibut there are other vehicles with questionable looks that sell well.

I think where Hyundai really missed the mark with the Santa Cruz is with fuel efficiency. People are looking for fuel efficient vehicles more than ever and the Santa Cruz gas mileage is no better than a midsize truck. Meanwhile the Maverick Ecoboost easily beats the SC in fuel efficiency and the Maverick Hybrid mpg rating destroys the SC's mpg rating. Most people looking for a small truck or any smaller vehicle are doing so, at least in part, for better fuel economy. If Hyundai could rush a new powertrain with much better fuel economy into the SC I think they'd easily sell a lot more than they are currently.
I like the look. While waiting for the Mav I refused to shop the SC because of the $4250 markup.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think where Hyundai really missed the mark with the Santa Cruz is with fuel efficiency.
Partly because the Cruz is a bit of a porker.
Comparing fully-loaded AWD trims, the Santa Cruz is about 400 pounds heavier despite having having less interior volume, 102cf vs 110cf and a smaller bed.

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Depends on your definition of capable. Lots of review videos showing SC struggling compared to the Maverick.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Excellent analysis. Oddly enough, Hyundai offers the Tuscon (the base build of the SC) in a hybrid. It didn't occur to them to do the same with the Santa Cruz?

JohnS

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Avenger
Engine
Undecided
The Santa Cruz starts at $42,000 MSRP, the Maverick at $30,000...

Hyundai is winning me over for my next vehicle over a Maverick, but not with the SC, with the Kona, at $25,000 with AWD.

JohnS

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Avenger
Engine
Undecided

Hyundai is winning me over for my next vehicle over a Maverick, but not with the SC, with the Kona, at $25,000 with AWD.

JohnS

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Avenger
Engine
Undecided

Chuck Norris

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No surprise, the SC is $7,000 or more based on trim, not really a cheap vehicle like the Maverick, if price was equal sales figures would be a lot closer
Sponsored