First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have had the Lariat since September and feel I have enough experience with both vehicles now to speak intelligently about them and critique them. But that may be for another day because the attributes of both trucks have been discussed at length here. First, the story of how this happened.

I owned a luxury sedan but wanted a truck to knock around in. I'm 74 years old and certainly don't need a big truck as I don't work and seldom carry more than a few bags of potting soil. I don't tow since I sold my boat or go off road hunting the way I use to. I owned a first generation Ridgeline and it was a wonderful, trouble free vehicle for me. But the Maverick hybrid intrigued me so I ordered a pretty well loaded Lariat when the banks first opened in June 2021. I got it for a few thousand under msrp (or at least I thought I did). I did everything over the internet and they sent me the order form but no one signed it. The sales manager, finance man and salesman I dealt with were all gone by the time the truck came in over 15 months later. But I am getting ahead of myself. As time went by it became obvious the Maverick would take forever to get to me. One reason was my fault - I would not change my order even though I knew several items were restraint items and if I insisted on them I knew I would have to wait. My position was that if I could not have the car the way I wanted it, I would not have it all.

After six months, I decided to buy a Ridgeline RTL. At this point Mavericks were being sold for many thousands of dollars above msrp and no one knew how popular it would become when I ordered it. I figured if the Maverick ever was delivered to me I would flip it to make a few easy bucks and keep the Ridgeline. I bought the Ridgeline in February of last year and it has been, like my first one, trouble free and all I expected. Frankly, I did not expect much from the cheaper Maverick although I got the top of the line model and most of the goodies in hybrid form.

The sales manager called and said the Maverick was finally delivered but would not honor the price I agreed to with the original sales manager. I ran right to the dealership and raised all kinds of hell but they would not budge. I decided that even at msrp, I would make money on a flip so I took it with the guarantee that the dealer would send me the price difference as soon as Ford sent them the check. I took their word for it and I still got the truck for less than what most people were paying at the time. A couple months later a nice $2300 check from the dealer was in my mailbox - they kept their word. But during this time I became enamored with the Maverick. I did list it here for sale at first but that is all I did and did not try to sell it elsewhere. I wanted to keep it a bit longer and see if the truck kept punching over its weight. Well, here we are and I have both trucks and love them equally well. Well enough that I decided I am keeping both of them.

I drive to Ohio from Texas about four/five times a year. Last year I drove the Ridgeline there four times and the Maverick once. Sure, the Ridgeline is more comfortable on such trips but the Maverick still punched well over its weight and I enjoyed the drive almost as well as the Ridgeline. What makes the Maverick a winner is the gas mileage I get. Not that the price of gas is a factor at this point in my life but I love to see those 40, even 50 mpg under certain, favorable conditions. I love everything about the Ridgeline and everything about the Maverick. Two similar vehicles but I use them for different purposes to which each excels.

Well, this is not instructional in any way, just a story that I thought I would tell since everyone I know has asked me "why in the world do you own these two trucks"!

Ford Maverick I own a '22 Ridgeline RTL and '22 Maverick Lariat - the story side of maverick.JPG
Sponsored

oskio

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Fusion SE, 21 Honda Pilot Special Edition
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm going on 14 months for my Maverick (Lariat/EB) and still don't have a scheduled build date...The Ridgeline RTL-E is starting to look like a possibility.

OP
OP

martyi48

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know the feeling Oskio, I've been there!

Sponsored

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nothing wrong with a driveway full of trucks!

dontblink97

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Always liked the Ridgelines but too expensive.
Agreed. At about 7k price difference for comparable models, can't justify the Ridgeline.

bluesteel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I bought my Maverick, I had been waiting several weeks longer than expected (I know...) for delivery of a Ridgeline I had a deposit on. I unexpectedly had an opportunity to buy the Maverick, so that's what I took. There are a lot of nice things about the Ridgeline, but as others have said, it is considerably more expensive.

The Maverick has a much smaller turning circle and is more maneuverable, gets significantly better gas mileage (even with the EB), has slightly higher ground clearance, and has more torque in lower RPMs. These things are all important to me. It's a cross between the Escape I previously owned and the older generation Rangers that I loved.

Definitely both have their +/- and I probably would have been happy with either. (But not both!)

Joseph G.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick hybrid XLT fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have had the Lariat since September and feel I have enough experience with both vehicles now to speak intelligently about them and critique them. But that may be for another day because the attributes of both trucks have been discussed at length here. First, the story of how this happened.

I owned a luxury sedan but wanted a truck to knock around in. I'm 74 years old and certainly don't need a big truck as I don't work and seldom carry more than a few bags of potting soil. I don't tow since I sold my boat or go off road hunting the way I use to. I owned a first generation Ridgeline and it was a wonderful, trouble free vehicle for me. But the Maverick hybrid intrigued me so I ordered a pretty well loaded Lariat when the banks first opened in June 2021. I got it for a few thousand under msrp (or at least I thought I did). I did everything over the internet and they sent me the order form but no one signed it. The sales manager, finance man and salesman I dealt with were all gone by the time the truck came in over 15 months later. But I am getting ahead of myself. As time went by it became obvious the Maverick would take forever to get to me. One reason was my fault - I would not change my order even though I knew several items were restraint items and if I insisted on them I knew I would have to wait. My position was that if I could not have the car the way I wanted it, I would not have it all.

After six months, I decided to buy a Ridgeline RTL. At this point Mavericks were being sold for many thousands of dollars above msrp and no one knew how popular it would become when I ordered it. I figured if the Maverick ever was delivered to me I would flip it to make a few easy bucks and keep the Ridgeline. I bought the Ridgeline in February of last year and it has been, like my first one, trouble free and all I expected. Frankly, I did not expect much from the cheaper Maverick although I got the top of the line model and most of the goodies in hybrid form.

The sales manager called and said the Maverick was finally delivered but would not honor the price I agreed to with the original sales manager. I ran right to the dealership and raised all kinds of hell but they would not budge. I decided that even at msrp, I would make money on a flip so I took it with the guarantee that the dealer would send me the price difference as soon as Ford sent them the check. I took their word for it and I still got the truck for less than what most people were paying at the time. A couple months later a nice $2300 check from the dealer was in my mailbox - they kept their word. But during this time I became enamored with the Maverick. I did list it here for sale at first but that is all I did and did not try to sell it elsewhere. I wanted to keep it a bit longer and see if the truck kept punching over its weight. Well, here we are and I have both trucks and love them equally well. Well enough that I decided I am keeping both of them.

I drive to Ohio from Texas about four/five times a year. Last year I drove the Ridgeline there four times and the Maverick once. Sure, the Ridgeline is more comfortable on such trips but the Maverick still punched well over its weight and I enjoyed the drive almost as well as the Ridgeline. What makes the Maverick a winner is the gas mileage I get. Not that the price of gas is a factor at this point in my life but I love to see those 40, even 50 mpg under certain, favorable conditions. I love everything about the Ridgeline and everything about the Maverick. Two similar vehicles but I use them for different purposes to which each excels.

Well, this is not instructional in any way, just a story that I thought I would tell since everyone I know has asked me "why in the world do you own these two trucks"!

side of maverick.JPG
I own a 2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E and a 2023 Maverick XLT hybrid. I have the same sentiments as you have. They each have their own purposes and the Maverick was purchased for our motorhome-flat towing. At times I want to drive them both at the same time!

Sponsored
OP
OP

martyi48

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel the same way Joseph, I want to drive them both and sometimes have to actually think about making a decision as to which one I will use that day. Basically, the Maverick is used for the in town trips where the gas mileage of the hybrid excels. I also take it when it rains and I have stuff in the back end because I have a cover over the bed, which I don't have on the Ridgeline.

The Ridgeline is my long distance cruiser and the one I prefer when I have passengers. With the Ridgeline I get 27 mpg on average on my trips from Texas to Ohio so that is not bad. The Maverick hybrid got 35 mpg on the one trip I took it to Ohio but it does better than that around town. Both of course use regular gas. I am happy with both trucks and as one poster said, you can't have enough trucks in the drive way!

InsaiyanAzn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tenzing
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel the same way Joseph, I want to drive them both and sometimes have to actually think about making a decision as to which one I will use that day. Basically, the Maverick is used for the in town trips where the gas mileage of the hybrid excels. I also take it when it rains and I have stuff in the back end because I have a cover over the bed, which I don't have on the Ridgeline.

The Ridgeline is my long distance cruiser and the one I prefer when I have passengers. With the Ridgeline I get 27 mpg on average on my trips from Texas to Ohio so that is not bad. The Maverick hybrid got 35 mpg on the one trip I took it to Ohio but it does better than that around town. Both of course use regular gas. I am happy with both trucks and as one poster said, you can't have enough trucks in the drive way!
Truly do love the Ridgeline. I owned a 1st gen and like you have had many trouble free miles with it. If I didn't need to tow 36ft camper I would still probably have the Ridgeline. Now own 20 F150, and 23 Maverick hybrid both which I love. But man.... those Ridgeline with the under bed storage love it 😀.!
Sponsored