Sponsored

Help me make up my mind - Maverick vs Ridgeline vs Frontier

You’d pick the:

• Total voters
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The Ridgeline is generally rated as the best midsize truck by auto journalists, but I was deterred by the relatively high price and suv vibe. It's probably the best choice if interior comfort is your #1 priority. It also has a huge truck in the bed (big enough to fit a person), but you have a very shallow bed as a result. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a bed in the first place. It does have a 5000 lb towing capacity and standard AWD.

I sat inside several Mavericks at the TX State Fair and felt like they were surprisingly spacious on the interior. But it definitely has more of an economy car feel. At the end of the day, I was worried it wouldn't be enough truck for me. I was also told by a dealership in AZ that it would take 4 to 5 months to fulfill an order.

I settled on a base model '22 Frontier. It's an outstanding all-around truck for only ~$31k. The big quirk with the Frontier is that it uses hydraulic steering which is definitely not for everyone.

The Mav is probably a good option if you're truly in the target demographic for that vehicle (compact car buyers). I would definitely get the Ecoboost over the hybrid. My experience with compact cars is that they turn into absolute slugs with 3 or 4 people in the car, and I suspect that will be the case with the hybrid Mav.
Sponsored

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah, if money is no object and you want comfort, go for the Honda.

I unironically like being able to feel every bump in the road, so cheap cars have always been my preference.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Next question should I buy a
Mustang GT or
Camaro SS or
Dodge Challenger Hemi
All similar all different.
Oh wait this is a Maverick site my bad never mind.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
I would get a ridgeline over a Lariat gas maverick. Once you throw hybrid in the mix I don't think its a contest. Especially xlt hybrid over base ridgeline. Unless you needed a bit bigger like ridgeline. The hybrid maverick has a big advantage in price point, fuel consumption and utility. Nothing like it.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Ridgeline is generally rated as the best midsize truck by auto journalists, but I was deterred by the relatively high price and suv vibe. It's probably the best choice if interior comfort is your #1 priority. It also has a huge truck in the bed (big enough to fit a person), but you have a very shallow bed as a result. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a bed in the first place. It does have a 5000 lb towing capacity and standard AWD.

I sat inside several Mavericks at the TX State Fair and felt like they were surprisingly spacious on the interior. But it definitely has more of an economy car feel. At the end of the day, I was worried it wouldn't be enough truck for me. I was also told by a dealership in AZ that it would take 4 to 5 months to fulfill an order.

I settled on a base model '22 Frontier. It's an outstanding all-around truck for only ~$31k. The big quirk with the Frontier is that it uses hydraulic steering which is definitely not for everyone.

The Mav is probably a good option if you're truly in the target demographic for that vehicle (compact car buyers). I would definitely get the Ecoboost over the hybrid. My experience with compact cars is that they turn into absolute slugs with 3 or 4 people in the car, and I suspect that will be the case with the hybrid Mav.
not to mention terrible MPG. In the event the Maverick wasn't going to meet all my needs (turns out it will) I was going to wait for new Ranger and compare that against the Frontier. I do like the idea of naturally aspirated V6 in Frontier, but if I'm going mid-size I would want a 6' bed.

Mav2112

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I owned a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E as my vehicle prior to ordering the maverick. It was a comfortable vehicle but I quickly became concerned with long term quality. This isn’t the same Honda quality from 15 years ago. There is a major water intrusion problem that affects all model years of the 2nd Gen (2017-present), it is very well documented on the Ridgeline owners club. Additionally, I had to change the transmission fluid at least every 10,000 miles or there was a severe transmission judder related to a known problem with the torque converter.

All vehicles have their problems of course, but be well aware that the Ridgeline for the price was disappointing in the quality department and was an easy decision to sell to try something new. I made money on the sale to Carmax after 35,000 miles and 2 years, so not all was lost.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I'm sure other people's experiences and rationale can contribute to your decision, it is ultimately exactly that, your decision.

If your first impression was that negative regarding suitability for your needs, then you might likely look back and wish you had heeded your first impressions. They usually have some validity.
Sponsored