First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2010
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How would you feel about a CRV hybrid or a Rav4 hybrid instead of the Maverick?
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For many years I was set on getting a RAV4 Hybrid, since the first ones came out in 2016, just didn't have the means at the time. That was before the Maverick was even a twinkle in the minds eye, so it wasn't even on my radar, I'm not a truck person. In terms of build quality the Honda and Toyota are likely better made overall, and will hold resale value far better, so from that standpoint they are likely better, but an SUV just has a different use case than a pickup. What changed my mind towards the Maverick is that there are things you can put in a truck bed that just won't go into an SUV, or that you wouldn't want to even if you could. For the business I co-own a pickup like the Maverick just makes more sense, even if it wasn't what I was planning to get.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2022 Honda CR-V Hybrid EX $30,960, MPG City 40, HWY 35, Combined 38
https://carbuzz.com/cars/honda/cr-v-hybrid/2022-honda-cr-v-hybrid-ex

2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid LE $28,500, MPG City 41, HWY 38, Combined 40
https://carbuzz.com/cars/toyota/rav4-hybrid/2021-toyota-rav4-hybrid-le

2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid XL $19,995, MPG City 42, HWY 33, Combined 37
https://carbuzz.com/cars/ford/maverick/2022-ford-maverick-xl-hybrid

The Honda CR-V Hybrid EX or the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid LE are less capable and more expensive purchases so as such lesser value.

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid, Mini 4 door
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Never have wanted a SUV. Miss our former Ranger and love that the Maverick is a hybrid. It's just time.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought my wife's 2021 RAV4 Hybrid LE in December. Called the dealer in the morning and had the keys 4 hours later, including the hour it took to drive to the dealer and back.

I ordered a 2022 Maverick XL Hybrid in June 2021 (to replace my car, not the RAV4) and hope to see it 6 or 7 months later.

I paid about $27K out-the-door for the RAV4, some kind of year-end special, but can't find one under $30-32K now.

My Maverick will cost $22K assuming the dealer honors the price on the agreement. Note that Maverick Hybrids are FWD while RAV4 Hybrids are AWD, so this is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I'll need to add a spray-in bedliner to the Maverick and may add some kind of tonneau cover for security. I'll probably buy a hitch-mounted bed extender for the truck to carry the 10-foot 2x4s that fit inside the RAV4. Estimate another $1K total.

I haven't seen a Maverick much less sat inside one so I can't compare interior space, but I suspect that the RAV4 has a little more. The Maverick is 18 inches longer... will just fit in my garage behind my ATV.

I ordered a Maverick in its first model year instead of another RAV4 (haven't had any problems with ours yet) because the Maverick is about 2/3 the price and who wants two of the same thing?

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the majority of the Hybrid buyers have previously considered all the Hybrid crossovers/mini vans. Even if just passingly looked and said “not a chance”. Sure Toyota is reliable (more or less) but you pay for it upfront. If my Maverick needs a new engine for $5-7k I will still be ahead of a RAV4 Hybrid. In contrast, my Prius needs a new engine and I’m not going to do it.

You wont find to many here that are going to run to the RAV4 Hybrid. Anyone who wants one already bought it or is going to buy it, they wouldn’t be on here. I really wanted the RAV4 before the Maverick but dropped the desire 1 second after seeing the Maverick. I wasn’t on a chat forum and didn’t have this kind of excitement for a RAV4. Never been this excited for any vehicle.

Last edited:

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
A crossover makes more sense than the Maverick for most use cases, but it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a capable hybrid and aren't married to extreme budget or flexible baby trucking, that's what I'd recommend. (Especially if you live in a snowy climate that demands AWD)

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Budget would be the first qualifier, then choosing whether an enclosed hatch or an open bed is more beneficial.

Seems simple enough. Urgency of possession might also weigh in....

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I could buy a Rav4 Prime for the $22,265 sticker price of my Maverick I would be all over it. Last I checked the Rav4 Prime would be about twice that price.

OP
OP
Boomhauer1

Boomhauer1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2010
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really wanted a Maverick Hybrid but it is only FWD and I have some rough dirt roads I have to travel on occasion along with hills and snowfall/rain/sleet so that led me to order a Maverick AWD. The Rav4 Hybrid is close in price with my Maverick build.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If a Rav4 Prime (plug in) actually existed on a lot right now to buy I would consider it, but then likely balk at the price difference and comfortably settle back on the hybrid Maverick Larit Lux again. Although the $7500 federal tax credit might bring it kinda close, losing the bed is a big deal to me. I don’t need AWD, but a bed for my hobbies vs a plugin for my commute is a tough one. R4prime cost for me then must include a trailer.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I considered a CR-V hybrid but ultimately decided to keep waiting for my Mav (which might one day get built). Just really like the idea of having a bed to use, even if it doesn't get used all that often!

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I cross-shop price. My Maverick is $23,990. You can’t get a hybrid CR-V or Rav4 for that.

The Rav4 is probably the best of the three with 40 mpg and awd, but again, too expensive.

Price-wise, the toyota corolla hybrid le is closer to maverick xlt hybrid I ordered, and the Maverick offers more for the money.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I could buy a Rav4 Prime for the $22,265 sticker price of my Maverick I would be all over it. Last I checked the Rav4 Prime would be about twice that price.
Pretty sure the original post is referring to the Rav4 hybrid, not the plug-in Prime.

There is already a price gap between the Maverick and Rav4 hybrid. Comparing the Maverick with the plug-in Prime only increases that.
Heck, why not throw in the Ford Lightning while you are at it? 😄

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty sure the original post is referring to the Rav4 hybrid, not the plug-in Prime.

There is already a price gap between the Maverick and Rav4 hybrid. Comparing the Maverick with the plug-in Prime only increases that.
Heck, why not throw in the Ford Lightning while you are at it? 😄
Ok works for me. ;)
Sponsored