Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
demonstrator guy in video mentioned chain final drive?
Yes Toyota uses a chain.
Ford uses a traditional Transverse differential.
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The is the most comprehensive I found. All the eCVT generations.
I just would like to point out. LOOK HOW SMALL! that’s the differential and transmission, and starter AND electric motor.

Not a lot of parts. Not a lot of rubbing parts. Very reliable system,

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
virtually the same transmission system
Brilliant, many thanks for the links. Looks like a very strong and robust system to me. My take is that by varying the speeds of the different components, you get the effect of an infinitely variable transmission all while using very robust mechanical gearing.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brilliant, many thanks for the links. Looks like a very strong and robust system to me. My take is that by varying the speeds of the different components, you get the effect of an infinitely variable transmission all while using very robust mechanical gearing.
That’s the idea! And the best part is the weakest part of the traditional automatic transmission is removed. The solenoids. They are usually the parts that fail. So it should be a very solid system

Sponsored

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Since I'll likely be making my Maverick an off-road/softroad/overland focused build if I buy it I've been pouring over the specs and Ford is either under-reporting the ground clearance or the break-over angle. 8.6" of ground clearance on a 121.1" wheelbase is 16.2 degrees not the 18.1 Ford has listed. So they are either measuring ground clearance at the lowest point of all body panels, such as the aeroflaps in front of the tires or the true ground clearance is 9.65" at 121" wheelbase for 18.1 degrees of break over.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
The two specs that stood out to me are the total system power of the hybrid and the leg room figures.

I doubt the hybrid will be rated to tow more in the future unless the total system power also increases. 191HP isn't a whole lot, and dragging a 2,000lb trailer means you probably won't be going up hills in a hurry. But I'm sure the towing experience will be better than an equivalent 4-cylinder naturally-aspirated, non-hybrid pickup like the Toyota 2.7L or Nissan 2.5L. This is because of the hybrid's electric motors offering 100% torque at 0 RPM, which will help get a load moving.

Ford measures their leg room differently than other automakers, so it's a bit hard to compare Fords vs. other brands. But, 35.9" of rear leg room in the hybrid means that there is more rear leg room in the Maverick than the Ranger crew cab at 34.5". Adding front and rear leg room figures together gives total leg room of 78.7" for the Maverick vs. 77.6" for the Ranger crew cab. I'm looking forward to sitting in a Maverick to subjectively see if it's more spacious than a Ranger crew cab.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The electric motors, in the video, have ~80 to just over ~100 horsepower. The 2.5 engine produces ~150hp. I wonder if the Maverick electric motor produces much lower hp compared to the 3 in the video. Combined ~190hp.

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
Hybrid has SMFI. Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection. Thanks Ford!

Last edited:

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
The electric motors, in the video, have ~80 to just over ~100 horsepower. The 2.5 engine produces ~150hp. I wonder if the Maverick electric motor produces much lower hp compared to the 3 in the video. Combined ~190hp.
I think Hybrid limits total power, because of engine provides plenty of torque and traction motor can not provide full torque for long time (because of traction battery is small) in high load applications. Electric traction motor has some "excess" power to be able to move car on its own in low torque application, when engine is off and capture as much regenerative power when breaking.

Last edited:
Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Torque peaks occur at different RPMs, and electric power limitations are real. Regen is limited to 35kW, about 161A @ 217VDC through the AC-DC converter. Full 94kW power from the Maverick's traction motor will require 430A. My bet is that most of the difference is coming from the charging motor, run by the ICE. ICE can propel the car with it's torque, or by supplying current. Ford engineers have a lot of options.

doug2104

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wondered what others thought of the official specs (below) for the Maverick. Overall I am pretty happy with what was revealed and it looks like many of the rumors and guesses were correct. I'm ready to order.

I was surprised by the standard hybrid engine. Also pleasantly surprised by the 4K capability with the tow package. Mildly disappointed by Sync 3 rather then Sync 4, but not a huge deal for me.

What about you?

[DOWNLOAD SPECS SHEET]
2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications-1.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications-2.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications-3.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications-4.jpg
Does anybody know why the Compression ratio 13.0:1 on 2.5L is so high and does it need premium gas.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That 13:1 number might be based off of the BDC to TDC chamber volume. Because the Atkinson cycle leaves the intake valve open partially into the compression stroke the volume that's actually compressed and effective compression is lower.
Sponsored